Sponsored by:

Rear License Plate Bulb "out" but bulb is good

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Rear License Plate Bulb "out" but bulb is good

I'm looking of some help with my license plate bulb issue.
I know the bulb itself is good as I have swapped it with the right hand side one and it works there.
I am almost betting the issue is with the wiring in the trunk as I've had to solder several wires that run down the drivers side of the trunk hinge arm to fix the automatic lift gate feature several times.
The problem is that I have pulled the wires out of the harness apart to inspect and have not seen any broken or separated wires.

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram or know the color of the wires so I can trace the exact bulb wires?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
What are the colors of the wires on the socket? Find the same colors on the SAM. Check ground and power with a continuity tester. Power/ground at the SAM and not at socket = break in power or ground wire, as you suspect
Not the best but should help

Last edited by Pmarino; 10-21-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Talking

Originally Posted by Pmarino
What are the colors of the wires on the socket? Find the same colors on the SAM. Check ground and power with a continuity tester. Power/ground at the SAM and not at socket = break in power or ground wire, as you suspect
Unfortunately I didn't see an easy way to pull the socket out to identify the wires but poked around with the DVOM and found that it was the power wire that was interrupted. Went to the trunk hinge and looked the none ground (brown) wires again, pulled on them and one of the previously repaired ones that was heat shrinked pulled out....crappp.
Re-soldered and heat shrinked and all is well both bulbs light up. We'll see how long till another wire separates...
Still love the car though
Old 10-31-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
Unfortunately the soldered union becomes a weak point (better than crimp connectors). Try to keep the solder union as small as possible. You may want to pull a new wire and make your solder joints away from mechanical fatigue points(trunk hinge)
Glad you found it and posted the fix