E55 AMG Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
E55 AMG Mufflers?

Hi guys,

I recently acquired an '06 E55 AMG and its all stock except for the muffler delete. This has way too much drone for me and I'd like to find a solution to my issue. I'm not sure which product to go with as browsing older threads on this forum talk about certain mufflers that are either not made any longer or are just hard to find. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MB: E55 AMG, CL550, E3004M Cab + other makes :)
I had the same issue,so hard to find the old brands that had setups for these cars 10 years ago. I spent some long hours searching for supersprint, eisenmann, etc. You can still get some of them but for the thousands of dollars, I thought not worth it.

Other than those, most exhaust setups are just loud, especially a droney delete. You can try to do the C63 mufflers or just fab up some aftermarket cans up there, I know some people have done borla etc. to keep it cheap. Some pursists will complain about putting borla on a benz but it's a 15 year old car worth under $15k, it's fine if it makes the sound you want.

Some say to use stock mufflers but remove some of the resonators/cat delete, etc etc but it depends what you really want. If just stock with a slightly louder exhaust, prob do 63 mufflers or find the elusive CLS55 or SL55 mufflers.

If you plan to do a full build, the long tube headers + full exhaust will definitely be loud, lol.

I plan to just run E55 mufflers with the inner sound deadening removed. It's a luxury sedan, to have it sound like a muscle dragster is silly imo. unless you are building a drag car...
Old 11-15-2019, 10:30 AM

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
Originally Posted by hbswift
Hi guys,I recently acquired an '06 E55 AMG and its all stock except for the muffler delete. This has way too much drone for me and I'd like to find a solution to my issue. I'm not sure which product to go with as browsing older threads on this forum talk about certain mufflers that are either not made any longer or are just hard to find. Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks!
My bad just re-read "its all stock except for the muffler delete." Grab some used E55 mufflers on Fleabay ,the facebook group or craigslist,etc...

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish? Just drone, tone or db's ? Depending on your DIY skills or pocket book...
or
can help cancel drone. Just putting on a muffler will probably not solve a drone issue

Tuning for Sound

Exhaust resonators are a well-known tool for tuning sound without muffling it too much. "Helmholtz resonators" use a length of tubing inside that captures certain unpleasant wavelengths, causing them to cancel out on each other. These can work well to fine-tune pitch, but they're tuned to specific engines and exhaust notes. The same resonator may not affect sound the same way on two different engines. However, you can emulate the effect by installing one or a two six-inch-long "cherry bomb" mufflers in the exhaust system about six inches past your catalytic converter. These shorty mufflers will catch the rapidly bouncing high-frequency waves, while leaving the longer, deeper waves relatively unaffected. This early cancellation also helps to reduce exhaust drone, or pipe vibration due to high-frequency tubing vibration. Thicker tubing, or wrapping the tubing in header wrap can have the same effect, if you don't mind the weight or aggravation.

Last edited by Pmarino; 11-15-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: cauz im a knuckle head
Old 11-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
2006 E55
I have a pair of stock mufflers with tips that I just removed from my 2006 E55 I’m trying to get rid; $200 plus shipping. I replaced them with C63 mufflers. Hit me up if ya interested.

Mufflers swapping