W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Longtube header install: parts list

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2024 | 10:54 PM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by Muhtish
Everything stated above is accurate about studs and nuts.
I'm currently installing long tubes from fabtech-performance. Issues:
The flange side that connects to the engine is not flat/leveled. I hope this will not cause a leak with oem gaskets
The flanges are almost twice the thickness of OE, which leaves almost no room to tighten nut onton the studs.
O2 sensor holes are too far down the headers. Both, up and down stream will need to be extended, as existing wiring does not reach.
The passenger y-pipe does not have the flange to connect to the pipe by the resonator.
Questions:
After test fitting the headers and reading some posts, my question is this: stainless steel headers will run hotter and produce more heat to the surrounding items. Main concern is added heat around wiring and excessive heat under the the hood. How do you remedy it? Heat wrap, which is prone to fire if dirty/oily, or if wet leading to headers cracking.
Passenger side y-pipe has no way to seal against the passenger side of the resonator. See picture.

How does one secure the connection so there is no exhaust leak?How does one extend O2 sensors? I've heard soldering is not advised.
Thank you in advance!
What brand headers are those? I would call up the seller of if possible the manufacturer and ask what they suggest.
I would get another flange and have it welded on the pipe. Then you can pull them together with 2 bolts/nuts.
The following users liked this post:
Muhtish (05-06-2024)
Old 03-22-2024 | 06:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Fountain35
What brand headers are those? I would call up the seller of if possible the manufacturer and ask what they suggest.
I would get another flange and have it welded on the pipe. Then you can pull them together with 2 bolts/nuts.
Are you saying to ask a seller what they suggest about the flange? If so, I've already done so, and they said that's how all of them are sold. I've looked at multiple other header systems out there and every single one that I saw was sold like that, one side with a flange other is not.
FadTech avoids to answer the question about the origin, but there are no branding on it of any kind, which leads me to believe that they are Chinese.
Old 05-06-2024 | 11:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Fountain35
Took your advice and welded a part of factory exhaust onto the pipe. Was not pretty but now it seals (some what) better.

I did run into a bit of an issue. The OE graphite gasket that was on the part that got welded, cracked and started to fall apart. I tried to salvage it best I could. Hopefully it will hold. But if it doesn't, does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could use in its stead?