Sponsored by:

Some more M5 info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by lpolo
damn you guys. please please please dont compare M5 vs. E55. they are both great cars!. definitely, BMW will try to make the new M5 faster than E55 AND MB will make the next E55 faster and better than the M5 and so on...... it's how the business works. still both cars are great. I am just tired seeing people talking trash about M5 and thinking that E55 is the fastest car in the world. hell no, E55 is still MB, not a lamborghini. so instead of talking trash about M5 and vice versa, why don't we just discuss about pos./neg. about those cars.
Thank you!
Old 08-03-2004, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by lpolo
damn you guys. please please please dont compare M5 vs. E55. they are both great cars!. definitely, BMW will try to make the new M5 faster than E55 AND MB will make the next E55 faster and better than the M5 and so on...... it's how the business works. still both cars are great. I am just tired seeing people talking trash about M5 and thinking that E55 is the fastest car in the world. hell no, E55 is still MB, not a lamborghini. so instead of talking trash about M5 and vice versa, why don't we just discuss about pos./neg. about those cars.
Actually there hasn't been much M5 Vs E55 in this thread which is good to see!
Old 08-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Banned

anyone read the z3 long term update in MT i think. the smg left 3 people stranded and the mag crushed it. read too many horror stories on the m3's smg to buy the first year m5 smg3???
Old 08-03-2004, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Regardless of what you all say about the M5 and its looks, etc. no one can deny its going to be a SIIICK car; 507 hp, IMO SMG is awsome once you get used to it...Anyway, I, for one, am really looking forward to the day they come out here in the States...anyway, thnx for the info. Kain
Old 08-03-2004, 12:48 PM

N/A
Here is some more BMW M news.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44471
Old 08-03-2004, 12:50 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by Peter B
anyone read the z3 long term update in MT i think. the smg left 3 people stranded and the mag crushed it. read too many horror stories on the m3's smg to buy the first year m5 smg3???
Since when did the Z3 come with SMG??

Have you already forgotten about the wonderful "horror stories" regarding the 7G-TRONIC tranmission??
Old 08-03-2004, 07:03 PM

CLK320
heres the deal

Here's what i have been wondering.

The m5 is basically a torqueless wonder compared to an e55. The front end looks like a pontiac, and I dont care how fast it shifts. When you buy an M BMW, you have a VERY high compression ratio calling reliability in the long and short term into question.

As bad as MB has been for their electronics, its not too often you hear about their engines blowing, or them making a mistake in the CNC machines leading to a large scale engine replacement as happened in the M3.

if u ask me high compression and a high revving engine means low reliability. Then the lovely SMG tranny. I mean cmon how long could that possibly last.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally Posted by 3199cc

The m5 is basically a torqueless wonder compared to an e55. The front end looks like a pontiac, and I dont care how fast it shifts. When you buy an M BMW, you have a VERY high compression ratio calling reliability in the long and short term into question.

As bad as MB has been for their electronics, its not too often you hear about their engines blowing, or them making a mistake in the CNC machines leading to a large scale engine replacement as happened in the M3.

if u ask me high compression and a high revving engine means low reliability. Then the lovely SMG tranny. I mean cmon how long could that possibly last.
Quite true. BMW likes to take an engine and max it out as far as it can go, while Mercedes overbuilds the engine to create the same power, which in turn enhances reliability.

Which would I take? I'd take the latter. Only thing I don't like about MB is the lack of manuals in their AMGs. Any sissy can drive an SMG. Manual is for true enthusiasts who enjoy connecting with their cars.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:56 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

kain i realize all of the positive attributes of the smg transmissions.
i don't doubt your statistics but in real world use these transmissions
just feel odd. keep in mind i'm 40 years old and i learned how to use
a clutch almost 30 years ago. maybe if smg was around then and i
had and had my first experience with it i might feel different.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:57 PM

And your point about the relative torque between M5 and E55 is?
Why don't people understand that BMW did not try to build the same type of engine as MB, they are like chalk and cheese but will produce the same outcome.
So stop saying that the M5 has less torque than the E55 because we can read and you obviously don't know what you are talking about since it is irrelevant considering all the other aspects of the vehicle.

The M5 does have high compression 12:1 but it has a very short stroke and each cylinder is smaller in volume so it will be more reliable than the M3 IMO. Gear box reliability is predominantly related to input torque which shouldn't be a problem for the M5!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Reliability and BMW corporate attitude

Yes, I do remember about the large scale M3 engine replacement, also also the large scale V8 engine problems in the early 90s. And of course, many M5 owners had not been happy with the fragile clutch as well.

What I find disgusting was BMW's initial attitude always blaming others. First blaming the M3 drivers for abusing their engines or for using the wrong engine oil. For the high V8 failures - the sulphur in the gas in the US - as if the sulphur in N. America was something new. And then the M5 owners not knowing how to drive, etc., forcing owners to try their luck with different dealers begging for a clutch replaced under warranty.

With the new M5, I can just imagine all the potential headaches having to fight the irresponsible BMW snobs before they take proper action to stand behind their products.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:19 AM

CLK320
Originally Posted by oggle
Quite true. BMW likes to take an engine and max it out as far as it can go, while Mercedes overbuilds the engine to create the same power, which in turn enhances reliability.

Which would I take? I'd take the latter. Only thing I don't like about MB is the lack of manuals in their AMGs. Any sissy can drive an SMG. Manual is for true enthusiasts who enjoy connecting with their cars.

Very good point. I guess Mercedes is the car to own, BMW is the car to lease.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:20 AM

Any sissy can drive an auto too. But that never stopped people from buying autos. Do you drive a manual? If so what car is it.

Originally Posted by W210
Yes, I do remember about the large scale M3 engine replacement, also also the large scale V8 engine problems in the early 90s. And of course, many M5 owners had not been happy with the fragile clutch as well.

What I find disgusting was BMW's initial attitude always blaming others. First blaming the M3 drivers for abusing their engines or for using the wrong engine oil. For the high V8 failures - the sulphur in the gas in the US - as if the sulphur in N. America was something new. And then the M5 owners not knowing how to drive, etc., forcing owners to try their luck with different dealers begging for a clutch replaced under warranty.

With the new M5, I can just imagine all the potential headaches having to fight the irresponsible BMW snobs before they take proper action to stand behind their products.
I'm sure MB have had just as many problems. Hell even toyota the benchmarked manufacturer has their fair share.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by reggid
I'm sure MB have had just as many problems. Hell even toyota the benchmarked manufacturer has their fair share.
Yeah, cars all have their problems, the difference is how the manufacturer deals with it.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Any sissy can drive an auto too. But that never stopped people from buying autos. Do you drive a manual? If so what car is it.
I make no excuses about it. I currently drive an automatic, mostly so that other members in my family can drive it too.

However, if I were in the market for a "sporty" BMW M3/M5, you can bet I'd get a manual, not some sissy SMG, and then go around pretending I have a huge ****. Any idiot can drive an SMG. Doesn't mean crap, so stop the fronting.

It's funny how some people complain MBs are not sporty, yet they go off and buy their cars with SMG (pseudo-automatic) and suddenly pretend they are real "sports" enthusiasts. LOL.

Last edited by oggle; 08-04-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:21 AM

I make no excuses about it. I currently drive an automatic, mostly so that other members in my family can drive it too.

However, if I were in the market for a "sporty" BMW M3/M5, you can bet I'd get a manual, not some sissy SMG, and then go around pretending I have a huge ****. Any idiot can drive an SMG. Doesn't mean crap, so stop the fronting.

It's funny how some people complain MBs are not sporty, yet they go off and buy their cars with SMG (pseudo-automatic) and suddenly pretend they are real "sports" enthusiasts. LOL.
I think there's a lot of people strutting around pretending they have a huge c**k because they drive this or that its no different to SMG scenario , if it makes people happy goodluck to them.

The ultimate racing brand uses the same technique of changing gears as BMW's SMG. You can't get more sporty than F1...lol
But i agree with you a proper manual is a lot fun.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I think there's a lot of people strutting around pretending they have a huge c**k because they drive this or that its no different to SMG scenario , if it makes people happy goodluck to them.

The ultimate racing brand uses the same technique of changing gears as BMW's SMG. You can't get more sporty than F1...lol
Oh you're absolutely right. Driving SMG doesn't mean you're a p*ssy. I'm only saying any p*ssy can drive an SMG. There's a difference.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was watching 5th Gear and they had a guy buying M. Schumacher's 2001 F1 car. To my surprise, beneath the shift paddles there was a clutch that is also engaged by hand. I'm not sure if that is still the case, but even back in 2001, I thought F1 cars did not have a manually engaged clutch.

As for SMG. If the ultimate goal is improved performance, it makes total sense to go with a system that allows you to keep both hands on the wheel and shifts faster than humanly possible. Alot of people want to hold on to true manual tranmsmissions b/c they want the driver involvement, however, the reality is manual transmissions will eventually be obsolete.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:54 PM

N/A

I guess you think the Enzo isn't sporty either?
Old 08-05-2004, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally Posted by Kain
I guess you think the Enzo isn't sporty either?
DO YOU *******G UNDERSTAND ENGLISH YOU NUMBNUT?

Read my previous reply you bicycle-riding nit wit. YOU are a pu$$y driving an SMG bragging about how sporty it is. Heck not only can't you drive a manual, you can't drive PERIOD.

Did you even get your permit yet? LMFAO.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
I've actually OWNED an SMG M3 as well as test driven one. And yes you are absolutely right, it was quirky as hell during the test drive. But you have to learn how to drive it. Its not quite as simple as you think, where in a manual there is a lot of clutch control, in SMG there is a bigger need of throttle control. SMG does great at what its supposed to do. Makes shifts super fast, and extremely consistent. If you shift with a manual as fast as you can, its not going to be smooth, at all. Thats what SMG is, an electrohydraulic manual tranny. Dont talk sh*t. But yea, its a car that is overblown a lot, and a lot of boners drive them. Just my $.02.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:04 AM

N/A
DO YOU *******G UNDERSTAND ENGLISH YOU NUMBNUT?

Read my previous reply you bicycle-riding nit wit. YOU are a pu$$y driving an SMG bragging about how sporty it is. Heck not only can't you drive a manual, you can't drive PERIOD.

Did you even get your permit yet? LMFAO.
FU.CK YOU BIT.CH.

YES I have a permit and FU.CKING YES I can drive a manual.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:05 AM

N/A
Here is a new M5 video.

http://media.theage.com.au/?rid=1445...te=193&flash=1
Old 08-06-2004, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Kain,

Your signature is nothing short of moronic. I've had an E46 M3, W210 E55, an E39 M5 for a couple of days, E36 M3, etc. For you to say something like there is so much more feeling in a BMW than a Mercedes is just proving once again you are a stupid juvenile with nothing but prepubescent ignorance. You prove nothing here except that you are shallow minded and have the immaturity of a kindergardner.

This fall, I'm selling my M3 for a W211 E55, not an M5. The E55 will not have the handling dynamics or roadfeel of the typical ///M, but it has power, agility, and braking that can definitely feel, along with the comfort and luxury that Mercedes is known for providing. That's what makes it a Mercedes. There are different philosophies behind the two lines, but they are still not night and day different, as you would imply. Your 15 year old video game experiences with cars still limit your grasping of these concepts, so I will simply pity you & your ignorance.

One day, when you are old enough to stop sucking on your mothers tit, and actually are mature enough to grasp the varying dynamics of different cars, you'll realize how assinine your posts on this forum really are.

Have a splendid day.

-m
Old 08-06-2004, 10:58 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Kain,

Your signature is nothing short of moronic. I've had an E46 M3, W210 E55, an E39 M5 for a couple of days, E36 M3, etc. For you to say something like there is so much more feeling in a BMW than a Mercedes is just proving once again you are a stupid juvenile with nothing but prepubescent ignorance. You prove nothing here except that you are shallow minded and have the immaturity of a kindergardner.

This fall, I'm selling my M3 for a W211 E55, not an M5. The E55 will not have the handling dynamics or roadfeel of the typical ///M, but it has power, agility, and braking that can definitely feel, along with the comfort and luxury that Mercedes is known for providing. That's what makes it a Mercedes. There are different philosophies behind the two lines, but they are still not night and day different, as you would imply. Your 15 year old video game experiences with cars still limit your grasping of these concepts, so I will simply pity you & your ignorance.

One day, when you are old enough to stop sucking on your mothers tit, and actually are mature enough to grasp the varying dynamics of different cars, you'll realize how assinine your posts on this forum really are.

Have a splendid day.

-m
Did you say brake feel?? HAHAHA! The E-Class has NO brake/pedal feel at all. It's like pushing down on a pillow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some more M5 info