New E55 AMG project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
New E55 AMG project

Hello guys,

I have a 2004 stock E55 with around 120k miles for a year now. I got bored of the car, mostly because I miss that brutal feel of the W204 C63, so I’m planning to mod it. I live in a semi cold climate in Romania (65* avg temperature), I drive my car 2-3 times a month in the city for a night drive and 4-5 times a year for a 300 miles drive to the mountains.
I don’t race the car in any way, I just want a very brutal response. Considering that I have a wobbly crank pulley ,that needs to be replaced anyway I suppose, I came up with the following list of mods:1. 172mm crank pulley with pin kit

2. 80mm clutchless supercharger pulley

3. Long tube headers

4. Colder spark plugs

5. Two new heat exchangers (larger and secondary)

6.split cool kit

7.braided brake cables

8.Wavetrac limited slip differential

9.Belt wrap kit

10.High flow water pump(13gpm)

11.Oil pressure sensor and wideband kit

12. 630cc fuel injectors

13. 92mm throttle body
Except for the headers and oil pressure sensor I’m buying everything from VRP
I really need your expertise in the following :
1.Is the list balanced ?
2.Can I safely push it even more In some way(smaller supercharger pulley or bigger crank). I’m asking because I was looking at the boost chart and at my ratio 172/80 I should have 16.2 psi, 15.4psi adjusted for long tube headers. In my mind if I had something like 168/76 or 185/83 I’d be at 17 psi so 16.1 header adjusted, which should be safe if I’m not mistaken
3.Is the 92mm throttle body worth it over the 82?
4.As I told you I’m all for instant response and I’ve read that some people experience hiccups/hesitation because of the bigger throttle body, what is your take on this ?
5.Are the 630cc injectors too big ?

Thank you very much!

Old 04-06-2020, 01:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
With your listed mods, you’re pushing the limit. Bigger is always not better. I guess finding the right balance here is key.

Don’t do a combination of a crank and supercharger pulley change. If you want a cheaper solution, go smaller supercharger pulley like 77mm. Be aware it does come with a caveat - more belt slip and you will end up adding a belt wrap kit. If you are looking for max boost, get a 180mm crank pulley and call it day.

Throttle body upgrades - don’t go overboard. People are still having issues even with 82mm however 82mm is good if installed well and programmed on star.

Take Kleemann for example, their K4 offers 620HP to the crank (some have got more here) with an 80mm throttle body, 168mm crank pulley, camshafts and headers. Not a single blown engine on a Kleemann on this forum. No crazy cooling modifications on these cars too as they run efficiently without producing crazy amounts of heat. By the way, Kleemann also seems to be the most reputed vendor out here with maximum number of happy customers. There is a reason for Renntech, Kleemann, Carlsson, MKB and all top tuners stick to a formula that’s efficiency. They did cost a lot a decade ago, but now Kleemanns packages are reasonable. Yes, there are cheaper options available, but the additional money is for peace of mind.

You can easily get your “thrills” with such a package and if you wish for a “brutal feel” and some savagery check out MEC design Apocalypse exhaust.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by Bogdan7a
Hello guys,

I have a 2004 stock E55 with around 120k miles for a year now. I got bored of the car, mostly because I miss that brutal feel of the W204 C63, so I’m planning to mod it. I live in a semi cold climate in Romania (65* avg temperature), I drive my car 2-3 times a month in the city for a night drive and 4-5 times a year for a 300 miles drive to the mountains.
I don’t race the car in any way, I just want a very brutal response. Considering that I have a wobbly crank pulley ,that needs to be replaced anyway I suppose, I came up with the following list of mods:1. 172mm crank pulley with pin kit

2. 80mm clutchless supercharger pulley

3. Long tube headers

4. Colder spark plugs

5. Two new heat exchangers (larger and secondary)

6.split cool kit

7.braided brake cables

8.Wavetrac limited slip differential

9.Belt wrap kit

10.High flow water pump(13gpm)

11.Oil pressure sensor and wideband kit

12. 630cc fuel injectors

13. 92mm throttle body
Except for the headers and oil pressure sensor I’m buying everything from VRP
I really need your expertise in the following :
1.Is the list balanced ?
2.Can I safely push it even more In some way(smaller supercharger pulley or bigger crank). I’m asking because I was looking at the boost chart and at my ratio 172/80 I should have 16.2 psi, 15.4psi adjusted for long tube headers. In my mind if I had something like 168/76 or 185/83 I’d be at 17 psi so 16.1 header adjusted, which should be safe if I’m not mistaken
3.Is the 92mm throttle body worth it over the 82?
4.As I told you I’m all for instant response and I’ve read that some people experience hiccups/hesitation because of the bigger throttle body, what is your take on this ?
5.Are the 630cc injectors too big ?

Thank you very much!

I would recommend going more aggressive with your cooling upgrades if you going for that stacked pulley setup. So maybe add either a w/m kit or you need to add more fluid to the mix,IE trunk tank or hood tank. Can't speak from experience wrt which throttle body to go for. If it were me deciding between 82 or 90, I would just go the full 90mm and be done with it as I would always wonder about leaving power on the table lol..