Sponsored by:

Pneumatic seat issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Various
Pneumatic seat issues

I've got an '04 E55 and have pneumatic seat issues. The pulse light just flashes with no massage function on either and the drivers seat doesn't enable you to let out the air on the side bolsters (when you press the deflate switch), so once they are blown up you cannot let them down again. I've read it on my Star and I'm getting 9250 (pressure build up not possible due to leak) and 9254 (pressure relief valve for draining opens without active overpressure run) on the pump itself and 9260 (No or insufficient pressure supply) on the each seat itself.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:34 PM

Various
Done some more testing and found the drivers seat right hand bolster (RHD) is leaking. Removal involved removing the side airbag which requires drilling of two rivets to enable. Now got the bladder out and confirmed it's leaking so will attempt repair. I have blocked up the air pipe to this bladder and tested the entire system again but still getting the same codes on Star so I'm thinking the pump is knackered but is there a definitive way to confirm this? Also the side bolsters on the drivers seat still do not deflate (well only the left side as the other is now removed).
Old 04-21-2020, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
w211 e500
Been looking for a solution for the same issue. Pulse light flashes, dynamic seats not functioning, all airbags/lines have no leaks, reservoir holds air, pump does turn on only when I click unlock from my key, but won't turn on again.

I hear there is something to do with recalibration of the pump/reservoir or something ?

How does your pump sound when it's activated of and out the foam cover?
Old 04-21-2020, 03:08 PM

Various
Originally Posted by adoomie
Been looking for a solution for the same issue. Pulse light flashes, dynamic seats not functioning, all airbags/lines have no leaks, reservoir holds air, pump does turn on only when I click unlock from my key, but won't turn on again.

I hear there is something to do with recalibration of the pump/reservoir or something ?

How does your pump sound when it's activated of and out the foam cover?
Just to clarify the pump does run for a while when you initially turn the ignition on but then after a while shuts down and you have to remove the key and then put the ignition back on again in order to restart it. My thinking is my pump is weak but having removed it and then opened up the pump I can see no obvious issues (the common overheating issues haven't occurred). Star was showing the pump putting out reasonable pressure and within tolerances but it then shuts down. I've also tested the vacuum tank for holding pressure and it seemed OK with my simple vacuum tester.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:54 PM

w211 e500
Originally Posted by scrappy_doo
Just to clarify the pump does run for a while when you initially turn the ignition on but then after a while shuts down and you have to remove the key and then put the ignition back on again in order to restart it. My thinking is my pump is weak but having removed it and then opened up the pump I can see no obvious issues (the common overheating issues haven't occurred). Star was showing the pump putting out reasonable pressure and within tolerances but it then shuts down. I've also tested the vacuum tank for holding pressure and it seemed OK with my simple vacuum tester.

How much psi does your reservoir hold? It should hold between 18-38 psi I believe. Im going to change my pump and reservoir soon, I have the exact same issue so I'll update you on whether or not that fixes my issue.
The following users liked this post:
scrappy_doo (07-25-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 05:16 PM

Various
How much psi does your reservoir hold? It should hold between 18-38 psi I believe. Im going to change my pump and reservoir soon, I have the exact same issue so I'll update you on whether or not that fixes my issue.
I just tested it via my simple vacuum hand pump. Didn't read the level but it held it for a set period and seemed OK. Can anyone confirm what it should hold?
Old 07-23-2020, 02:17 PM

Various
Update on this I've done more digging and on following the pipework from the pump to the seats I've discovered this pipe off and blowing out air:

Anyone know what this one of three grey pipes from the pump/reservoir in the boot connect to? I know the other two connect to each front seat but the third one is a mystery!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:31 AM

Various
Anyone?
Old 07-25-2020, 07:42 AM

w211 e500
Originally Posted by scrappy_doo
Anyone?
There are 3 lines from the resovoir , one for the drivers seat one for the passenger seat, and an over pressure line,
scrappy_doo (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 08:08 AM

Various
[QUOTE=adoomie;8116017]There are 3 lines from the resovoir , one for the drivers seat one for the passenger seat, and an over pressure line,[/QUOTE>]

Where does the over pressure line come from and where should it connect to? I'm beginning to wonder whether my pipes are connected incorrectly.

Also should the over pressure line just vent to atmosphere or should it have a valve at the end?
Old 07-25-2020, 08:56 AM

w211 e500
[QUOTE=scrappy_doo;8116031]
There are 3 lines from the resovoir , one for the drivers seat one for the passenger seat, and an over pressure line,[/QUOTE>]

Where does the over pressure line come from and where should it connect to? I'm beginning to wonder whether my pipes are connected incorrectly.

Also should the over pressure line just vent to atmosphere or should it have a valve at the end?

Here's a rough picture of what it should look like from what I remember. Still haven't got mine working, although it does stay working if I keep it in dyno mode ? Not sure why lol I still get the code for pressure relief valve not doing an over pressure run.

I'll double check when I get home.
scrappy_doo (07-27-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 10:35 AM

Various
Your diagram is what I thought but if you look at my picture the pipe is inside the side panel/trim so a long way from the small pressure release pipe that comes out of the reservoir.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:58 PM

Various
Thanks for the diagram but I'm still perplexed as what the pipe pictured connects to if anything. Surely it isn't supposed to just vent to atmosphere?
Old 07-27-2020, 03:11 PM

Received 350 Likes on 241 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
When I had this issue

First, is this a new problem? If so, likely unrelated to that tube. My overpressure tube, coming from the control valve box in the back of the seat Had a filter.

The issue I had and you will find repairs for here on the site is for the valve in The pump.

I bought a new pump. Eventually if you do not fix yours, it will fail due to over running, which is less with the repaired bolster but still will happen on any long drive with repeated “tries” of the system. At that point, the valve and the Power connector may have issues.

im familiar with the seats, I replaced not only the dynamic airbags but leather too. It’s a logical system. I resoldered hearing cables and reworded the fans as well. Lots to do but just takes time and caution.

I will say the tubes in my vehicle all ran under to behind the seat with nothing on the side. Except what came from side bolster. This was the same with all wires as well.

good luck

Last edited by Baltistyle; 07-27-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Details
scrappy_doo (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 04:03 PM

Various
The dynamic seats have never worked and I've got the pump overworking due to leak code.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:26 PM

Various
Right, the pipe from the pneumatic pump called SK is the pipe that ends as shown in the picture above.

Anyone still got any idea where it should connect to if anything?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
i had looked at mine the other day and it has some type of check/pressure valve attached to the hose but just vents off to the atmosphere -- i will try to take a pic later and post
scrappy_doo (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:44 PM

Various
Originally Posted by hayseed
i had looked at mine the other day and it has some type of check/pressure valve attached to the hose but just vents off to the atmosphere -- i will try to take a pic later and post
Would really appreciate that! 👍
Old 08-04-2020, 09:22 AM

04 e55
i found this just tucked in behind the navigation unit,, not sure it its supposed attach to something but i believe it just vents off

Last edited by hayseed; 08-04-2020 at 09:25 AM.
scrappy_doo (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 AM

Various
i found this just tucked in behind the navigation unit,, not sure it its supposed attach to something but i believe it just vents off

I've got one of those pipes too, it the reservoir vent pipe. Do you know what the pipe from the pump that goes through into the interior cabin connects to or if it is vented?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:51 AM

04 e55
i have not chased it down yet but i believe they connect to a a hub behind the seat which feeds the air bladders ..... remove the back of the drivers seats and it should be there,, my pump pipes connect to the reservoir, one pressure, one suction i believe
scrappy_doo (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 AM

Various
i have not chased it down yet but i believe they connect to a a hub behind the seat which feeds the air bladders ..... remove the back of the drivers seats and it should be there,, my pump pipes connect to the reservoir, one pressure, one suction i believe
I've got all the trunking out and as you can see from my picture there's 3 grey pipes going into the interior cabin. Two pipes from the reservoir and another pipe from the pneumatic pump that on mine vents to atmosphere. I'm still unsure it is supposed to do that hence my query.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Various
Anyone?
Old 08-11-2020, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I also have a pipe that vents to atmosphere. when i start the car it runs for a while then turns off. seats are the same as your with the flashing light and no action. I had one cracked pipe at the right side seat base but repaired that. I think we are supposed to have that little relief valve on the end but I haven't found one
scrappy_doo (09-03-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 01:04 PM

Various
After more investigating it seems that this pipe is the feed pipe for the pump, still seems weird it pulls its air from a pipe that vents in the interior trunking!

Last edited by scrappy_doo; 08-13-2020 at 01:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pneumatic seat issues