W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 E55 AMG randomly wont start... please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 976 Likes on 759 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Read the entire threads following. Hang a fuel pressure gauge on the passenger side front of the fuel rail. Pumps prime for ~1 second with key on, then turn off until the Motor Electronics see a signal from the CPS that the engine is turning over. Pressure valve on the fuel filter/regulator is stamped 5.1 Bar.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...intenance.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ify-parts.html
Old 05-01-2020, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by equitiesguy
In my case it was so weird I thought it was something with the Keyless Go, but it was the starter. No real indication of a bad starter before it failed. Depending on age/mileage, might want to factor that into the equation since you appear to have spark and fuel now without intervention. The only reason I mentioned about the fuel level is in case your pumps were too weak to pump fuel to the other side of the tank, but that isn't the case with your current situation of a minimum of 1/4 tank on that side.
Well I'll def keep that in mind should I replace these other things and it does it to me again. Just so weird for that to be the issue. Almost goes against all starter troubleshooting I've ever known. Lol but... these cars are a little different. You never know.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
To verify some degree of fuel supply. turn key, listen for priming pumps. Unscrew schrader valve and poke it. If there’s gas squirting in your face you have supply
The following users liked this post:
Neversatisfied7 (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 03:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
Check your F43 fuse in the engine compartment. It's a 15 amp fuse that caused my e63 to show the same symptoms as yours, just after replacing my passenger side valve cover gasket. I thought I did something wrong, but it was just a coincidental and random occurrence. Replacing that fuse solved the problem immediately. If you've checked this already, and mentioned it, please forgive me for not reading the entire thread.
The following users liked this post:
Neversatisfied7 (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 07:03 AM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by coupesedan
To verify some degree of fuel supply. turn key, listen for priming pumps. Unscrew schrader valve and poke it. If there’s gas squirting in your face you have supply
It's so strange. The car didnt start that one morning and since then... without changing a single thing... it hasnt happened again and its started up just fine. I can audibly hear the pump priming now and I dont remember it priming the morning it wouldnt start. I have the fuel pump relay and a crankshaft postion sensor both new in the box in my trunk with some tools should it ever happen again. I will likely change both just as preventative maintenance but at this point... I have no clue what caused it and why it only did it the one time. 🤷‍♂️
Old 05-04-2020, 07:07 AM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by benzokirk
Check your F43 fuse in the engine compartment. It's a 15 amp fuse that caused my e63 to show the same symptoms as yours, just after replacing my passenger side valve cover gasket. I thought I did something wrong, but it was just a coincidental and random occurrence. Replacing that fuse solved the problem immediately. If you've checked this already, and mentioned it, please forgive me for not reading the entire thread.
Ok. I will def check the F43 fuse. Was yours visibly blown when you checked it or did it look good and you changed it anyway?
Old 07-22-2021, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211sedan E500 4matic
An update would be cool.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 2003 e55 amg
Had the same issue couldn't find my problem, I have a 03 e55 so wiring is a bit different, look at the 3 fuses next to battery turned out my 40amp fuse was blown. causing vehicle to crank but no start. And if that fuse is blown you probably have some fuel pump issues. (sending unit clogged pulling excessive amperage from pump...)