Sponsored by:

1 year later

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking 1 year later

It's been one year since I took posession of my W211 2003 E55. I absolutely love this car. It has been nearly trouble free with the only problem in the "pulling to the right" syndrome. I took it to the dealer and they made as many adjustments as possible and for the most part it went away. It is absolutely a "beast" when it comes to the power and the only mod I have made is the S55 snorkel that I installed. The only races in the last year have been against a new Vette (I couldn't tell what model) but I was pulling away and 1 car length aheadfrom him at 80mph or so when he shut down. The other was against a Porsche on a major blvd with no one around and I jumped ahead at the light but we only went about 1/8 mile before shutting down. I have about 11.000 miles and I really appreciate the interior and the dynamic seats etc.
I just posted a reply to the M5 board on a post talking about how sexy 5 M5's testing in Death Valley looked. I think these guys are blinded by the speculation on how this car will outperform the W211 E55 and have just accepted the butt ugly looks of this "thing". I didn't mention that I was a 20+ year BMW owner (Primarily M cars) before purchasing the E55. I am glad I made this decision and am glad to be here!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 AMG E63
Originally Posted by deaguero
It's been one year since I took posession of my W211 2003 E55. I absolutely love this car. It has been nearly trouble free with the only problem in the "pulling to the right" syndrome. I took it to the dealer and they made as many adjustments as possible and for the most part it went away. It is absolutely a "beast" when it comes to the power and the only mod I have made is the S55 snorkel that I installed. The only races in the last year have been against a new Vette (I couldn't tell what model) but I was pulling away and 1 car length aheadfrom him at 80mph or so when he shut down. The other was against a Porsche on a major blvd with no one around and I jumped ahead at the light but we only went about 1/8 mile before shutting down. I have about 11.000 miles and I really appreciate the interior and the dynamic seats etc.
I just posted a reply to the M5 board on a post talking about how sexy 5 M5's testing in Death Valley looked. I think these guys are blinded by the speculation on how this car will outperform the W211 E55 and have just accepted the butt ugly looks of this "thing". I didn't mention that I was a 20+ year BMW owner (Primarily M cars) before purchasing the E55. I am glad I made this decision and am glad to be here!
Thanks for you comment. In a way it makes me feel like i am going in the right direction by getting an E55. So you really enjoy it much more than the M cars?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Originally Posted by JL889
Thanks for you comment. In a way it makes me feel like i am going in the right direction by getting an E55. So you really enjoy it much more than the M cars?
I'm not a bimmer hater. I had an M3, and now have the E. I appreciate the E a lot more because its more practical. Just depends on what you want out of a car. But realisticly, 90% of the time you arent or cant go 170mph or 60mph around corners.. so thats why an MB makes more sense for me. If you have to have that slight edge for the 10% or less driving time that you actually require performance, then BMW is more for you. I'm 23, and would rather have my E500 let alone E55 over an M3 any day. I did love the M3 for what it was, but just talking about one vs the other.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:45 PM

10K miles on mine now, and a daily driver. Absolutely love it every day. As I said a while back, I really start to take it for granted until I get into a rental car on business trips (not that that is a fair comparison).

thumbs up!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:00 AM

04 E55
The BMW/Mercedes thing will be never ending, given the virtues of each brand and our quest to have it all in one car. I had a 325 IS so I experienced the feel if not the M3 power. That and my 911 are the only cars in the many that I've had that I truly miss. I will no doubt give the next generation M3 a look see.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
About 2 1/2 months to go until my anniversary of my W211.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
It has been one year for me as well as of last week. I'm so glad I didn't wait for an 04 or 05 since the only changes have been COMAND which I wouldn't have ordered, and active headlights. Yes, a spare tire would have been nice, but my full size wheel/tire in the trunk will suffice. The wheel upgrade has made a huge difference as the car really stands out. Every time behind the wheel is fun, even up the street to work and back is fun. Yes, I've had a couple of minor problems with the car, but overall build quality is excellent and the seats are very comfortable. Track days are especially fun, with my family sedan keeping up with the Porsche Turbos and Vipers. Sebring in 2 weeks and again in late September will be even more fun with the new brake setup and racing tires.

My only complaints are the lack of aftermarket parts, the excessive cost of tuner upgrades, and the ****ty MB service departments.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:31 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts
How's Mrs. Chill's T Bird holding up?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Track days are especially fun, with my family sedan keeping up with the Porsche Turbos and Vipers.
You always hear the M5 owners telling us our cars are pigs in the handling department but how many M5's do you have on the track when you are running? If they are out, how are they doing relative to your E55?
Old 08-15-2004, 06:05 PM

After 11K miles, the E55 is still the best all round 4 door sedan around.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
The T-bird is actually a nice car. Had I paid close to sticker I don't think I'd think it was so nice, but they were practically giving it away.

So far on two track days, many Porsches, Vipers, Vettes, M3s, an SLK 32, Audi TT, several Ferraris, 2 NSX's (1 with 600 RWHP), many race cars......
not 1 M5. I guess there aren't that many idiots like me taking their daily driver family car on the track.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:09 PM

04 E55
"2003 E55 -Capri Blue, Carbon fiber brake ducts, Porterfield R4 pads, SS brake lines, 19" HRE 547R's, 275/30 and 245/35 Fuzion Tires (best tire for the money)"

Dr. CHill, I'd have to 110% agree with u about the Fuzion Tires.. THey are Japanese made and i personally think that they are the best tire for the money as well. I feel no loss of comfort either. my 19"s feel like my 18's

What are Carbon fiber brake ducts tho if u don't mind explaining to me or have a pic so i can see. thx
Old 08-18-2004, 12:18 AM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking JL889 - M Cars

JL889, I really loved my M cars & it's really a tossup between the M5 and the E46 M3 i owned. They were both a blast to drive but as technologies move forward I feel that they were being surpassed by the others (AMG!)
I love my W211 E55 more than any of my M cars in that it really has power to spare (no question about that) while the M cars I was allways wishing for more power (just allways needed more it seemed). Sure they handled like no other car on the market or so it seemed but they were allways just missing something it seemed, More Power! I probably would have stayed with BMW & the M cars but the New 7 when it was introduced signaled something awry and after seeing spy pics of the E60 5er I knew it was time to go elsewhere.
Everytime I see one of those things on the road I cringe!!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:16 PM

Question

Originally Posted by deaguero
JL889, I really loved my M cars & it's really a tossup between the M5 and the E46 M3 i owned. They were both a blast to drive but as technologies move forward I feel that they were being surpassed by the others (AMG!)
I love my W211 E55 more than any of my M cars in that it really has power to spare (no question about that) while the M cars I was allways wishing for more power (just allways needed more it seemed). Sure they handled like no other car on the market or so it seemed but they were allways just missing something it seemed, More Power! I probably would have stayed with BMW & the M cars but the New 7 when it was introduced signaled something awry and after seeing spy pics of the E60 5er I knew it was time to go elsewhere.
Everytime I see one of those things on the road I cringe!!
I'm a former E39 M5 owner too. I sold mine as I was putting too many miles on it during my commute. I'm a newbie to Mercedes Benz who has previously owned BMW's and M cars, but I am now considering jumping over to AMG as I too prefer the styling over the current BMW's. I am particularly interested in the E55.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever consider moding your M5? Dinan has the S2 package that puts out 470hp and is currently developing a supercharger that in prelimnary testing is putting out close to 600hp according to their website.

In any case, I'm curious to learn more about your experience with the E55 as it relates to handling, ease of driveability, and luxury appointments and frankly "bang-for-the-buck" factor.
Appreciate.
Kev-AMG
Old 09-21-2004, 07:37 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
Thats cool

Im glad that your enjoying your E55, I just bought mine.