Sponsored by:

Oil on top of airmatic strut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon, 2005 E55 AMG Sedan
Oil on top of airmatic strut

about a week ago I parked my car (2005 E55 AMG) in the driveway and when I got out I heard a loud hissing sound. I thought my neighbor was irrigating his lawn. Next morning the front right strut is very low. Opened the hood and the top of the strut is oily and there's a large broken o-ring next to the top of the strut (see pic) I inspected the opposite strut and there's the same o-ring at the top of the strut that's still intact. The low strut seems to have blown off the o-ring. There's also a small amount of oil at the top of the low strut. What can cause this to happen? Is there any way to fix it or do I have to replace the entire strut? The car only has 27,000 miles so it seems strange that the strut would fail.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon, 2005 E55 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by David Greenaway
about a week ago I parked my car (2005 E55 AMG) in the driveway and when I got out I heard a loud hissing sound. I thought my neighbor was irrigating his lawn. Next morning the front right strut is very low. Opened the hood and the top of the strut is oily and there's a large broken o-ring next to the top of the strut (see pic) I inspected the opposite strut and there's the same o-ring at the top of the strut that's still intact. The low strut seems to have blown off the o-ring. There's also a small amount of oil at the top of the low strut. What can cause this to happen? Is there any way to fix it or do I have to replace the entire strut? The car only has 27,000 miles so it seems strange that the strut would fail.
I found out how to fix this issue. I ordered a couple of Bilstein struts from RockAuto, installed them this past weekend and now all is good