Sponsored by:

ML55 Calipers compatible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E550
ML55 Calipers compatible?

Hey there friends, by any chance do you think the 2001 Mercedes Benz ML55 caliper set will fit on a 2007 W211? Front and rear and I am aware there maybe a rotor difference? Perhaps. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:07 PM

Received 237 Likes on 198 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Berner_Burner
Hey there friends, by any chance do you think the 2001 Mercedes Benz ML55 caliper set will fit on a 2007 W211? Front and rear and I am aware there maybe a rotor difference? Perhaps. Thanks in advance.
Not even close. There are thousands of W211 in junk/salvage/breaker yards if you want used parts. If you are going to go with used parts why not source them from the model that you have?
Old 07-31-2020, 03:15 PM

E550
Originally Posted by machild
Not even close. There are thousands of W211 in junk/salvage/breaker yards if you want used parts. If you are going to go with used parts why not source them from the model that you have?
Found a good price on a full set. I figured since they are brembo they would be similar to the brembos the w211 have, that's all. Thanks for your response.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:23 PM

Found a good price on a full set. I figured since they are brembo they would be similar to the brembos the w211 have, that's all. Thanks for your response.
Go to RockAuto.com and look up your car, then the front and rear calipers. Centric is a good one to select as they remanufacture the Brembo calipers. Click on the manufactures part number for each the front and rear calpers. When you click it will tell which other modles uses that same caliper. then you know what models to be looking for in the used market.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:26 PM

E550
Go to RockAuto.com and look up your car, then the front and rear calipers. Centric is a good one to select as they remanufacture the Brembo calipers. Click on the manufactures part number for each the front and rear calpers. When you click it will tell which other modles uses that same caliper. then you know what models to be looking for in the used market.
Awesome, thanks you're a life saver! 🙏🏽
Old 07-31-2020, 05:16 PM

Awesome, thanks you're a life saver! 🙏🏽
You may want to consider, before spending money on used calipers, spending very little money on caliper repair kits. Each wheel kit is only about $5, so you could do the entire car for very little money. Of course, a full fluid flush should be part of it. The issue with used brake parts such as calipers is that you have no idea how often the brake fluid was flushed over the many years. Older cars tend to get pushed off on many maintenance items anyway and brake fluid flushes are at the top of that ignored heap. When brake fluid is not flushed regularly, moisture attracted by the brake fluid starts getting in volume to the point where it is actual water - not vapor. Since it is heavier than brake fluid it ends up at the lowest point - yep, the calipers. Rust and corrosion is the result and the caliper enters its end of useful life stage.

If you have reasonably maintained your brake system then doing a little work to freshen up the calipers is easy money and not a lot of work. If your calipers are crap, then the cost of remaned calipers from RA (and possilby other sellers) seem about as what you may spend for used ones. If you do go with reman units don't use the Cardone brand - total garbage. I am always surprised RA will sell the Cardone line. Centric and Nugeon are reasnable options, I don't know the Dynamic Friction name.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'06 E55 / '10 GLK 350
You may want to consider, before spending money on used calipers, spending very little money on caliper repair kits. Each wheel kit is only about $5, so you could do the entire car for very little money. Of course, a full fluid flush should be part of it. The issue with used brake parts such as calipers is that you have no idea how often the brake fluid was flushed over the many years. Older cars tend to get pushed off on many maintenance items anyway and brake fluid flushes are at the top of that ignored heap. When brake fluid is not flushed regularly, moisture attracted by the brake fluid starts getting in volume to the point where it is actual water - not vapor. Since it is heavier than brake fluid it ends up at the lowest point - yep, the calipers. Rust and corrosion is the result and the caliper enters its end of useful life stage.

If you have reasonably maintained your brake system then doing a little work to freshen up the calipers is easy money and not a lot of work. If your calipers are crap, then the cost of remaned calipers from RA (and possilby other sellers) seem about as what you may spend for used ones. If you do go with reman units don't use the Cardone brand - total garbage. I am always surprised RA will sell the Cardone line. Centric and Nugeon are reasnable options, I don't know the Dynamic Friction name.
Talking about Cardone, just thought I’d add that I bought a reman steering rack from them for my E55 and the thing was leaking from 2 different places. Total garbage!
Old 08-01-2020, 08:50 AM

I affectionally refer to them as "Car Done!"