Sponsored by:

Dipstick conundrum E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 11:25 PM

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Dipstick conundrum E63

My 2007 E63 AMG came with a dipstick that looked like a cable with solid plastic on the end. See picture 1. The plastic broke and I ordered a replacement from the stealership. Apparently, MB has changed the design of dipstick and now it looks like a solid twisted metal with 2 plastic marks on the end. See picture 2.

The problem is that ever since I got this new dipstick I cannot get accurate oil measurements. I drain all the oil from both the main and oil cooler drains, then pour 7.5-8 liters of oil (when the car takes 9) and it shows I am above the max level. How the f** is it possible?

Does anyone have the old-style dipstick for sale? Picture 1.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2009 E63
Did you turn on the car after putting in the 8 quarts and then measure again?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:18 AM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by jpman
Did you turn on the car after putting in the 8 quarts and then measure again?
Yep. Ever since I changed to this new design I cannot trust it. Either this dipstick is not accurate or somehow 1 -1.5 quarts of oil doesn’t come out (which I don’t think is the case). I had the dealer to double check the dipstick part number and they said it was the right one. I am looking for the old design one now.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:20 AM

2009 E63
Originally Posted by Rovel
Yep. Ever since I changed to this new design I cannot trust it. Either this dipstick is not accurate or somehow 1 -1.5 quarts of oil doesn’t come out (which I don’t think is the case). I had the dealer to double check the dipstick part number and they said it was the right one. I am looking for the old design one now.
I don’t believe the original was like the one you had before. But that’s a different topic.

I have the revised one like yours, and I think it’s about right and gets full around 8.5 quarts. I typically do the suction method, and drain the front middle cooler (I don’t drain the side cooler).

is your low oil light turning on? I don’t have issues measuring mine.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:33 AM

2007 E63 Amg
I don’t believe the original was like the one you had before. But that’s a different topic.

I have the revised one like yours, and I think it’s about right and gets full around 8.5 quarts. I typically do the suction method, and drain the front middle cooler (I don’t drain the side cooler).

is your low oil light turning on? I don’t have issues measuring mine.
The car came with the one as on picture 1. It had a cracked plastic which is why I replaced it.

Isn’t 8.5 about a quart less than it takes? Isn’t it 9.5 quarts or 9 liters to fill up?

Also, didn’t know we had a middle cooler. I knew about the main plug and the cooler towards the right wheel. Where is it?

No lights at all. Do these cars (m156) have a warning for too much oil?

Sorry too many questions
Old 08-03-2020, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
How do the 2 dipsticks look when they are compared side by side.....do the marks line up?
Old 08-03-2020, 10:08 AM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by decorily
How do the 2 dipsticks look when they are compared side by side.....do the marks line up?
Good question I threw away the old one without such comparison
Old 08-03-2020, 10:59 AM

2009 E63
Originally Posted by decorily
they did when I compared them. Matter of fact, I think I still have my old one.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I don't know what all the fuss is about, but I have the new dipstick (Picture #2) and it works just fine. Your oil level needs to fall between the top to marks.
About two weeks ago, I got the check oil level at next fueling. When I checked it was down on oil, as the oil level was towards the bottom of the second mark.
When I added 1 qt the oil level was towards the top mark, where it should be. And for the records the E63 holds 9.2 qts. I religiously put in 9.5 qts, and never had an issue in 13 years.
Honestly you could run 10 qts and be just fine. Our cars do not have an indicator for excessive oil, I once put in 10 qts with no issues. In these cars it's better to have more oil than less oil.
Honestly added 1/2 qt from 9.5 to 10 qts really isn't going to make a big difference, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch. Realistically I'm only adding 1/2 qt from what i normally add anyway.

Last edited by Yuille36; 08-03-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:25 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by Yuille36
I don't know what all the fuss is about, but I have the new dipstick (Picture #2) and it works just fine. Your oil level needs to fall between the top to marks.
About two weeks ago, I got the check oil level at next fueling. When I checked it was down on oil, as the oil level was towards the bottom of the second mark.
When I added 1 qt the oil level was towards the top mark, where it should be. And for the records the E63 holds 9.2 qts. I religiously put in 9.5 qts, and never had an issue in 13 years.
Honestly you could run 10 qts and be just fine. Our cars do not have an indicator for excessive oil, I once put in 10 qts with no issues. In these cars it's better to have more oil and less oil.
Honestly added 1/2 qt from 9.5 to 10 qts really isn't going to make a big difference, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch. Realistically I'm only adding 1/2 qt from what i normally add anyway.
Thanks for clarifying that there will be no messages if too much oil is put. The reason I cannot trust this new dipstick is that when I drain oil from both the main and cooler drains and then put 8 quarts of oil it will be above all the marks. Unless my engine mysteriously holds 1.5 quarts of oil that doesn't come out, it cannot be true that it is full after adding 8q of oil. You're absolutely right that you don't want to run m156 with low-ish oil if you want the lifters to serve a long time. I found the old style dipstick on eBay but that seller hasn't responded yet. Will keep looking for the old style and use that for checking oil levels.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By the way, I enjoy watching your videos. There very informative. 👍🏽
Old 08-03-2020, 03:51 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
this topic has been discussed many times. the new dipstick is shared across all M156's and reads 1-1.5 quart or so low from what the W211 E63's user manual states 9.2-9.3 quarts i believe. honestly the dipstick is useless. i measure all of my fluids before inserting as do dealers and drain fluids from the pan and cooler with new washers every time. the oil level low electronic sensor as well is very accurate and will signal when you are 1.3 quarts below.

when i filled up using the new dipstick as a reference point...within a week or two my electronic oil low came on. my engine does not burn oil, but i do drive aggressively which causes the PCV system to ingest a lot of oil through the crankcase. at every oil change i always add a total of 9.5 quarts.

the reason for the updated part is for 2 reason. 1, the seal at the top supposedly isn't as sturdy which can cause blow outs. 2, the design is based off a steel wire/rope which has flex. although a good design, over time, the plastic end will begin breaking off into small pieces that will float around your oil and and possibly become ingested into the oiling system.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 08-03-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:43 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by Yuille36
By the way, I enjoy watching your videos. There very informative. 👍🏽
Thank you, man. Appreciate it
Old 08-03-2020, 04:45 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by hachiroku
this topic has been discussed many times. the new dipstick is shared across all M156's and reads 1-1.5 quart or so low from what the W211 E63's user manual states 9.2-9.3 quarts i believe. honestly the dipstick is useless. i measure all of my fluids before inserting as do dealers and drain fluids from the pan and cooler with new washers every time. the oil level low electronic sensor as well is very accurate and will signal when you are 1.3 quarts below.

when i filled up using the new dipstick as a reference point...within a week or two my electronic oil low came on. my engine does not burn oil, but i do drive aggressively which causes the PCV system to ingest a lot of oil through the crankcase. at every oil change i always add a total of 9.5 quarts.

the reason for the updated part is for 2 reason. 1, the seal at the top supposedly isn't as sturdy which can cause blow outs. 2, the design is based off a steel wire/rope which has flex. although a good design, over time, the plastic end will begin breaking off into small pieces that will float around your oil and and possibly become ingested into the oiling system.
Well, the new design is useless then, which is why I am looking for an old design . I am aware of the reasons why MB updated the design. If I manage to find the older design I will keep it for just measuring oil level — won't keep in the engine. But I didn't know m156 had different capacities depending on the application.

My fear is not having too little oil but too much. I've been using a suction pump lately instead of draining from under the car, because once I checked how much oil was left in the engine after using the pump and it was negligible — 1/4 of a little coke bottle from both drains. I also called 3 dealerships and all said they sucked the oil and didn't drain. Usually, I get close to 9 or 9 quarts of oil exactly in the pump. But this time I got 7.5 out. Now I am not sure whether I lost 1.5 quarts when doing my head bolts, or do I have a leak? This dipstick is useless. I will take the car to somewhere and have them check for leaks.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:36 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
if you fill up 9 quarts every time you should be in the clear. i believe the oil cooler holds 0.5 quarts.

The following users liked this post:
Rovel (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hachiroku
if you fill up 9 quarts every time you should be in the clear. i believe the oil cooler holds 0.5 quarts.
I also religiously drain the oil cooler, however I do not drain the auxiliary oil cooler. For those that don’t know, the E63 has an auxiliary oil cooler that has a fan attached to it, and it’s located on the passenger side, just in front of the wheel behind the fender well.

The fan only kicks on when the engine oil gets extremely hot >220 degrees. I had an issue with the oil temp sensor once, giving false oil temps that caused the fan to come on full blast. And this fan is extremely loud when running, as their is no mistaking what’s happening.

We replaced it, and recalibrated it, and the fan finally shut off and my oil temp hovered at 83C as normal. Now I pretty sure that this cooler holds about 1/2 qt as well. Oil can be drained from this cooler, but you must replace the o-ring. But it’s much easier to just drain the pan, and the front oil cooler, as they both have drain plugs and crush washers. 👍🏽

Last edited by Yuille36; 08-04-2020 at 05:51 AM.
hachiroku (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 09:13 PM

2009 E63
Thanks for clarifying that there will be no messages if too much oil is put. The reason I cannot trust this new dipstick is that when I drain oil from both the main and cooler drains and then put 8 quarts of oil it will be above all the marks. Unless my engine mysteriously holds 1.5 quarts of oil that doesn't come out, it cannot be true that it is full after adding 8q of oil. You're absolutely right that you don't want to run m156 with low-ish oil if you want the lifters to serve a long time. I found the old style dipstick on eBay but that seller hasn't responded yet. Will keep looking for the old style and use that for checking oil levels.
Just use the new one and call it a day. Remove all oil just like you’ve been doing (I only remove the oil from the front oil cooler, never the passenger side one) and make sure I add between 8.5 to 9 quarts and call it a day. I change my oil every 8k and the car typically asks for half a quart around 4K into the oil change and the dipstick measures accurately.

If you’re ever low it will tell you via the computer. I always just keep a jug of oil in the trunk.
Yuille36 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I always just keep a jug of oil in the trunk.
Keeping a quart of oil in the trunk is a must have item. I also have one in my X5M. Typically half way thru your oil interval, your car will typically ask that you add a quart of oil, as all M156 consume some amount of oil, especially if you run them hard. 😁
Old 08-04-2020, 02:20 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09 E63
"the new dipstick is shared across all M156's and reads 1-1.5 quart or so low from what the W211 E63's user manual states 9.2-9.3 quarts i believe"

I didn't know the dipstick reads that much lower than capacity fill. I for one do somewhat rely on the dipstick. Also I've never drained more than 8 quarts during my 3 or 4 oil changes; even when draining from both oil coolers. And with my additives, 8 is about what I refill; run it a little, then check the level via dipstick (and again over the next days). never a low oil notice and I don't burn oil
Old 08-04-2020, 02:24 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by anomadtoo
"the new dipstick is shared across all M156's and reads 1-1.5 quart or so low from what the W211 E63's user manual states 9.2-9.3 quarts i believe"

I didn't know the dipstick reads that much lower than capacity fill. I for one do somewhat rely on the dipstick. Also I've never drained more than 8 quarts during my 3 or 4 oil changes; even when draining from both oil coolers. And with my additives, 8 is about what I refill; run it a little, then check the level via dipstick (and again over the next days). never a low oil notice and I don't burn oil
I am worried about running this engine with 8 quarts of oil. I want the camshafts and lifters get lubricated as soon as possible and as much as possible.Oil starvation is one of the reasons why people’s lifters wear prematurely.

With the older dipstick I would put 8.5 plus a bottle of Ceratec and I would be just close to the max. With this new one I am reading well over max after putting 8 quartz of oil.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:12 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
i'm sure the main concern is...overfilling for the C63. as some know, the C63 has an inadequate amount of oil coolers, so for the C63, 8 quarts without 507 cooling may be accurate. 8 quarts will work with the M156 within the W211, but ideally you should be at the 9 quart mark or higher due to excess capacity. 8 quarts for us will eventually cause our low oil light to trigger well before the next oil change interval, if you don't baby your car. when i was filling 8 quarts, i would have to top off every week or two, with that i realized, the new dipstick was way off of the original dip stick and since then have ignored it.

my fill involves 9 quarts of Motul X-Cess 5w-40 and 2 bottles of LiquiMoly MoS2 which brings me to a total of 9.5 quarts with main oil cooler also being drained. i haven't noticed any adverse effects with this process. i drive fairly aggressively and at times do head through the mountains for some turns, so i tend to lose oil through the PCV system so the added oil is something i personally prefer.

Last edited by hachiroku; 08-04-2020 at 05:23 PM.
anomadtoo (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 06:32 AM

2009 E63
I am worried about running this engine with 8 quarts of oil. I want the camshafts and lifters get lubricated as soon as possible and as much as possible.Oil starvation is one of the reasons why people’s lifters wear prematurely.

With the older dipstick I would put 8.5 plus a bottle of Ceratec and I would be just close to the max. With this new one I am reading well over max after putting 8 quartz of oil.
I hear you... but having 7.5 quarts of oil or 10 quarts of oil will not change that. The rate, and amounts at which oil is supplied isn’t a function of oil quantity (to some extent), but a function of sump parameters. But hey, if it makes you sleep better at night power to you.

Id rather have new dip stick that won’t break off in pieces, and just know the amount of oil I put in.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:31 AM

2007 E63 Amg
I hear you... but having 7.5 quarts of oil or 10 quarts of oil will not change that. The rate, and amounts at which oil is supplied isn’t a function of oil quantity (to some extent), but a function of sump parameters. But hey, if it makes you sleep better at night power to you.

Id rather have new dip stick that won’t break off in pieces, and just know the amount of oil I put in.
If I find the older design I'll use it for measuring only. Will keep the new one in there otherwise.