Sponsored by:

M5 Killer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo
Originally Posted by Bilal
These people think a Benz will flip once going round a corner, as if a corner was a Benz nemesis! Idiots.
I have never said that the E55 handled bad or would flip in some corner..

What I did say was that the E60 M5 is faster around the Ring and that these kind of threads makes people THINK that all you do is go in a straight line.

The E55 will outhandle many many cars. No doubt about it.

It's just the first post "M5 killer? E65 nuff' said" that I'm flaming.

I know you don't only drive your cars straight and I know you enjoy your cars on winding roads and when you just drive those 200 yards to buy the newspaper as well.
Please read my first posts again.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:27 AM

Turbo
The only good thing about the M5 is its engine. Thats it.
I'm not even gonna go there....

Please post that sentence on a M5 board and I'm sure you'll get some replies..
Old 08-21-2004, 10:27 AM

997 Carrera S
Originally Posted by reggid
No. Its just that everyone puts down the E60 M5 for its handling abilities saying that its only useable on the track but its rubbish.

You don't need to drive at the limits on public roads or be a pro driver either. Truth be told most road cars on the cornering limit are not fun to drive so i sure don't want to.

Theres a difference between handling and absolute grip!! Handling is about balance, control and feeling what the car is doing and driver involvement. Where grip is absolute cornering speed largely a function tyre quality and a vehicles mass and its location (centre of gravity).
I never put the M5 down for its handling capabilities but quoting race track times in an effort to convince me of its handling prowess is asinine for a street car.

If you want a great handling car, there are much better solutions. Hell, if you want a great handling car in 4-doors, buy a Lancer Evolution. Mine sat on Tein Coilovers and you'd be hard pressed to convince me that the M5 is a better handling car.

However, I digress. I believe some of us will simply have to drive the M5 before we make a final judgement.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zlaatan
No you don't need to go there but to say that the Nurburgring isn't a place where you can compare handling capabilities of different cars is just plain wrong.
Who said that?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:36 AM

Nothing
I feel this thing about which car handles the best is BS. I used to be a racing driver for 5 years. So I would say my driving skills are better than most. I have been to a high speed event where you have a 600m stretch preceded by a banked oval. There were 7 M3's that day and another C32. I did 204km/h. The best M3 could only do 200km/h and the others were in the 190's. The other C32 did 200. I had a race with a M3 a while back. When approaching a corner at 180km/h, he braked so hard I almost crashed into him. I have taken that corner at over 190km/h. People who buy M3's are normally more performance minded (cornering and the like), while people (like myself) who buy AMG's want the speed AND the comfort. I don't think I will ever come across a M3 who would be able to out handle me. Does this make my car a better handler? No, it makes me a better driver. There, I feel better already.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:51 AM

The only good thing about the M5 is its engine. Thats it.

Putting such a sporty engine in a 4 door saloon and doing laps of the Nurburgring is almost comparabale to a Modena with massaging seats and air suspension.

The M5 is too hardcore to be an everday saloon and is a 4 door saloon trying to be a sportscar.
That just proves you know nothing and are childish and ignorant. You can't make such decisive comments about a car that you've never driven.

Any true AMG follower should appreciate the M5 for what it is but that doesn't mean they would neccesarily purchase one. The fact that the M5 is supposed to lap the ring 15 sec faster than a modena may not be of much use in the real world but it indicates that it isn't a pretender and has serious performance, you may hate it but respect it.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by AMG FANATIC
I feel this thing about which car handles the best is BS. I used to be a racing driver for 5 years. So I would say my driving skills are better than most. I have been to a high speed event where you have a 600m stretch preceded by a banked oval. There were 7 M3's that day and another C32. I did 204km/h. The best M3 could only do 200km/h and the others were in the 190's. The other C32 did 200. I had a race with a M3 a while back. When approaching a corner at 180km/h, he braked so hard I almost crashed into him. I have taken that corner at over 190km/h. People who buy M3's are normally more performance minded (cornering and the like), while people (like myself) who buy AMG's want the speed AND the comfort. I don't think I will ever come across a M3 who would be able to out handle me. Does this make my car a better handler? No, it makes me a better driver. There, I feel better already.
Buying an AMG or M car doesn't mean your a good driver or make you a good driver as you've shown. What speed would you have taken that corner in the M3 do you think.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:18 AM

Nothing
Buying an AMG or M car doesn't mean your a good driver or make you a good driver as you've shown. What speed would you have taken that corner in the M3 do you think.
No, what I meant is, you never know if it is the driver or the car that make the car go quick in turns. I agree with you that driving one of these cars, doesn't make you a better driver. All I'm saying is, is that I think people who buy M cars, are more handling orientated than people who buy AMG's.

As for taking the corner in the M3, I honestly don't know. I've only once driven a M3, and that was mainly straight line driving (highway). It was also 2 years ago, so I can't really recall how the car felt. However, listening to most people who have driven both, I probably would have doen the same speed or quicker.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:53 AM

Turbo
Who said that?
I'm sorry. I missread your post. What I'm trying to say is that the Ring is one of the best places to figure out if a car handle good or bad.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:54 AM

Turbo
Originally Posted by AMG FANATIC
All I'm saying is, is that I think people who buy M cars, are more handling orientated than people who buy AMG's.
I agree totally. These two cars are in my opinion, although very similar, aimed towards different people.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:09 PM

Turbo
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I never put the M5 down for its handling capabilities but quoting race track times in an effort to convince me of its handling prowess is asinine for a street car.

If you want a great handling car, there are much better solutions. Hell, if you want a great handling car in 4-doors, buy a Lancer Evolution. Mine sat on Tein Coilovers and you'd be hard pressed to convince me that the M5 is a better handling car.

However, I digress. I believe some of us will simply have to drive the M5 before we make a final judgement.
As we are talking about performance/handling I think a track time tells you quite a bit about a car. Even though you never (?) get to drive like that on public roads.

Comparing a Lancer EVO against E55/M5 is like comparing a door to a apple.. i.e totally crazy..

Oh, btw
Old 08-21-2004, 12:44 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
That just proves you know nothing and are childish and ignorant. You can't make such decisive comments about a car that you've never driven.

Any true AMG follower should appreciate the M5 for what it is but that doesn't mean they would neccesarily purchase one. The fact that the M5 is supposed to lap the ring 15 sec faster than a modena may not be of much use in the real world but it indicates that it isn't a pretender and has serious performance, you may hate it but respect it.

True AMG followers, follow AMG cars. Not butt fugly BMW's. IF you respect that car so much stick to M5board. Don't come down to mbworld and tell us to respect this or that. Why should we?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:58 PM

True AMG followers, follow AMG cars. Not butt fugly BMW's. IF you respect that car so much stick to M5board. Don't come down to mbworld and tell us to respect this or that. Why should we?
i didn't tell you to follow it or like it at all.You can hate it for all i care, respect is different. Try to make informed comments if you want you opinions valued thats all. Everyone is biast towards their own brand i know.

I respect AMG as much as M cars so i think i have a right to be able to post!

Saying the M5 is all engine is uninformed, truth be told that the E55 is more engine than the M5!
Old 08-22-2004, 01:35 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
I'm sorry heat of the moment/bad day/ bad mood. My comments do sound a bit childish. Anything that can lap the Nring in less than 8.00 minutes, and has 4 doors has got to be special. I guess the fact that BMW has produced such a capable car brought about the "ignorance" and disbelief.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:34 AM

Anything that can lap the Nring in less than 8.00 minutes, and has 4 doors has got to be special. I guess the fact that BMW has produced such a capable car brought about the "ignorance" and disbelief.
It'll make AMG's better aswell, so everyone wins....except audi...lol :p
Old 08-22-2004, 05:33 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
true!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:14 AM

Turbo
Very true!

Lets just say that both AMG and M make awsome cars and leave it at that!