Vibration under braking & at 80mph - fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Vibration under braking & at 80mph - fixed

So been having a bit of an issue with my car and vibration under braking from 'speed' and generally vibration at ~70-90mph range.

The vibration at 80mph was resolved with road force wheel balancing of the FRONT tyres despite no shimmy in steering wheel felt at all. In the end all 4 were road force balanced - but the fronts were the culprits.

The braking issue was first thought to be warped rotors or poorly fitted rotors. I checked all that and looked all fine and re-seated the rotors for good measure. I then discovered some play in the front bearing. Test by holding the wheel at 12 and 6 and simultaneously pulling and pushing both points into and away from the car. RHS was a definite but light clicking, the wheel almost not even seen to visibly move. The left similar but less so (almost undetectable but was still there) - curiously there was no clicking detected when doing the same procedure from position 3 & 9 on the wheels. Recalibrated the front bearings (a few videos on this out there), and car is back to silky smooth at speed and braking. I had to rotate the rhs bearing retainer maybe 1/4 turn to recalibrate it and the lhs about 1/8 of a turn as a guide.

I was quite surprised at the bearing wear as the car only has 26k miles on it - but in the end was a super easy fix. Can't tell you how smooth the car feels now - thrilled to bits.

So just a heads up if you are facing similar vibrations ... road force balancing and be sure to check bearings before you tear into replacing bushings.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,032 Likes on 959 Posts
1999 E300TD
Bad rotors!
Old 10-21-2020, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Bad rotors!
Well, I thought so too, but in this case it was the bearings.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:43 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by stevebez
Well, I thought so too, but in this case it was the bearings.
Glad you found the problem. Did you change both inner and outer bearings or exactly what bearing was it?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd