Sponsored by:

Startup Map sensor issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Startup Map sensor issue

When I purchased my E55 it was constantly throwing a map sensor code and bogging the car. I replaced the sensor and the car runs rough on cold start then fixes it self but then bogs throttle again. I have to clear the code turn the car off and restart and the car is back to life. It will sometimes happen after I clear the codes but almost every time when I do a cold start. Any help?
Old 10-31-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Was it a factory or aftermarket sensor? These cars are really sensitive to having the correct MAP sensor and there are multiple aftermarket brands claiming 'OEM' for fitment.

Did you remove the SC to replace it? If so I'd double check for vacuum leaks.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:06 PM

2006 E55 AMG
This is the map I used https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...8aAqcREALw_wcB

I removed the supercharger as I was going to change all the gaskets, I’m guessing I’m going to have to buy a smoke leak tester to see if I have a vacuum leak.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by chaseb9
This is the map I used https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...8aAqcREALw_wcB

I removed the supercharger as I was going to change all the gaskets, I’m guessing I’m going to have to buy a smoke leak tester to see if I have a vacuum leak.
Yep that's the right one, so I'd look into vacuum leaks. Makes sense on cold starts too, as the engine heats up aluminum expands and could seal a small leak that is present on cold start. Easiest/most common place to check first would be that metal tube on the drivers side, make sure its seated in that channel/hole that's hard to see. Then smoke test after that.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:08 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
Yep that's the right one, so I'd look into vacuum leaks. Makes sense on cold starts too, as the engine heats up aluminum expands and could seal a small leak that is present on cold start. Easiest/most common place to check first would be that metal tube on the drivers side, make sure its seated in that channel/hole that's hard to see. Then smoke test after that.
Alright I’ll do that! I don’t really think it’s that metal tube behind the supercharger but it might be! Do you have the part number for that just in case?
Old 10-31-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by chaseb9
Alright I’ll do that! I don’t really think it’s that metal tube behind the supercharger but it might be! Do you have the part number for that just in case?
It's not that the tube would be bad, just not seated in the rubber grommet correctly. It's got that 15 deg turn so it's a bit awkward to get it seated sometimes versus a perfectly straight tube. I've found it helpful to use a flashlight and a small mirror when I've had the SC off to help me see it guided into the grommet, and then you should get nice feedback as it finally finds the hole and seats in about 1/2" deep. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2020, 01:19 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
It's not that the tube would be bad, just not seated in the rubber grommet correctly. It's got that 15 deg turn so it's a bit awkward to get it seated sometimes versus a perfectly straight tube. I've found it helpful to use a flashlight and a small mirror when I've had the SC off to help me see it guided into the grommet, and then you should get nice feedback as it finally finds the hole and seats in about 1/2" deep. Good luck!

I just remembered I crushed that pipe and had to cut it to get it back in. That actually might be why my car is doing this stuff ahah.