W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody try replacing KeylessGO key fob shell with aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 04:29 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Anybody try replacing KeylessGO key fob shell with aftermarket?

Hey guys,
Have any of you tried replacing our worn out key fob outer shell with an aftermarket replacement? How was the fit and quality? was the build just as good is factory?

Amazon Amazon

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 11-09-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I believe the problem you will run into is that swapping the guts of a keyless go key is a bit more involved than just a regular key. There's more guts to a keyless go key and not that easy to do. I think some guy advertised doing it as a side job in one of the other sub forums a long time ago, but didn't guarantee anything on the keyless go swaps, the regular ones were easier.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:22 AM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
it's pretty easy at least for my key. I used the actual key to hook the plastic support and pulled the circuit board out. it was very well thought out as with all things Mercedes.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Received 239 Likes on 200 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by hachiroku
Hey guys,
Have any of you tried replacing our worn out key fob outer shell with an aftermarket replacement? How was the fit and quality? was the build just as good is factory?
Barry - When I bought my car earlier this year one of my keys was well worn so I looked for a replacement shell. I checked Amazon and all the normal sellers. Consistent fitment was often mentioned and other niggling issues. This was reflected in only finding so-so reviews so I gave up on buying a Chinese made new shell. I then looked for an OEM replacement shell. There are lots of them on eBay. Search by your code FCC ID (mine is IYZ 3312). Salvage yards sell the used keys in batches and those buyers then retail them back into the market. The board can be reprgramed so the key can be completely recylced. Like you, I only needed the shell so I looked for one in very good physical shape (some are in pretty bad shape so look carefully). I think I paid $30 delivered and ten minutes after I got it I had a new-looking working second key. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
hachiroku (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 11:27 AM

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
N/A
I have purchased a couple from e-bay all look good but they don't work and have poor fitment. The last batch I purchased the keys were too wide, didn't fit. (Not key less go)

Last edited by Fountain35; 11-10-2020 at 11:30 AM.
hachiroku (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain35
I have purchased a couple from e-bay all look good but they don't work and have poor fitment. The last batch I purchased the keys were too wide, didn't fit.
To clarify, did you purchase new reproduction versions or used original MB versions?
Old 11-11-2020, 03:00 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
wow these ebayers want stupid money for these keys. most want to sell a bunch of them as a set.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:11 PM

wow these ebayers want stupid money for these keys. most want to sell a bunch of them as a set.
The sets (multiples of the same key style) are the salvage yard sellers getting them sold in bulk. The buyers of those sets then sell them individually. Those buyers are likely locksmiths and people willing to spend the time to sell them one at a time on eBay and other channels. I don't know if the shell for keyless is the same as the conventional key, but mine cost me $30 (conventional) and it was nearly new looking. Compared to the problematic aftermarket (Chinese) option it seemed an easy choice.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:18 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by machild
To clarify, did you purchase new reproduction versions or used original MB versions?
New reproductions I believe??? One set had no Mercedes emblem and it was junk, the other did but was too wide, have to push the key in. Both sellers had 99.8% or so feedback as good.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:19 AM

N/A
The sets (multiples of the same key style) are the salvage yard sellers getting them sold in bulk. The buyers of those sets then sell them individually. Those buyers are likely locksmiths and people willing to spend the time to sell them one at a time on eBay and other channels. I don't know if the shell for keyless is the same as the conventional key, but mine cost me $30 (conventional) and it was nearly new looking. Compared to the problematic aftermarket (Chinese) option it seemed an easy choice.
Can you spot me a link?
Old 11-14-2020, 03:31 AM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
bought the keyfob copy i posted earlier...the buttons are super hard to press. the circuit board fits just like OEM, but i believe the buttons are too stiff and also not correctly centered so they do not correctly actuate the button toggles. going to return and keep an eye out for single keys on ebay.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:58 AM

bought the keyfob copy i posted earlier...the buttons are super hard to press. the circuit board fits just like OEM, but i believe the buttons are too stiff and also not correctly centered so they do not correctly actuate the button toggles. going to return and keep an eye out for single keys on ebay.
Yes, this is exactly what I saw in reviews so the reason I waited for a good used MB shell. You'll find it, you just have to be patient.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain35
Can you spot me a link?
No, since I bought it on eBay from an individual. The used keys that end up on eBay are either someone that could not find both of their keys when they sold the car and then came upon it and now selling or they are buying a batch of these keys from the bulk sellers (salvage yards) and selling one at a time on eBay. Canvas eBay for your specific key (use several search criteria) and when you find one take a very close look at it for its condition. The button pads is one area to really look at as they do wear and crack over time. If you only have one key then you will have to have the this second key coded to your car. A good locksmith can do that for you once you have the repacement key. Good luck.
Fountain35 (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 10:23 PM

N/A
No, since I bought it on eBay from an individual. The used keys that end up on eBay are either someone that could not find both of their keys when they sold the car and then came upon it and now selling or they are buying a batch of these keys from the bulk sellers (salvage yards) and selling one at a time on eBay. Canvas eBay for your specific key (use several search criteria) and when you find one take a very close look at it for its condition. The button pads is one area to really look at as they do wear and crack over time. If you only have one key then you will have to have the this second key coded to your car. A good locksmith can do that for you once you have the repacement key. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:13 PM

N/A
I started thinking after I read your posts (machild) and (Barry) and checked both keys for fitment in the key slot and the circuit board. The first set has the Mercedes emblems, everything works but it's a tight fit when you slide the key in the ignition, works fine just too snug. The second set ignition fitment was fair but the issue was the circuit board fitment, too tight. I pulled out a fingernail file and worked on the plastic inside the key fob. Tight fit but everything works perfect. Only drawback is no MB emblem on the one key I fixed.

Last edited by Fountain35; 11-15-2020 at 12:57 PM.
hachiroku (11-15-2020)