W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Heat exchanger decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2020 | 11:42 PM

CL55
Heat exchanger decision

Hey guys I have researched on the forums and other places about which H/E would be the best. From what I have read PB5 is just a frozen boost h/e and FTP is also a frozen boost h/e but he cuts the ends and rewelds it? So my only other options that I know of are PLM, VRP, Weistec and dtk which has that big front mount h/e but people say they have bad welds? as for PLM I am talking about the 25% bigger one since its competition is the vrp v2.

Fitment does not really matter since I have a CL so any H/E will require some cutting and finessing to fit. Obviously I cant find a direct comparison between all these h/e with the same setup and the same outside temp.

DTK is at the bottom of my list since I have heard bad stuff about their welds and my CL already has a big stock h/e infront of the radiator so not sure how it will like if I add another one in the way.

VRP is at the top of my list but unfortunately they are out of stock for now.

PLM might be the one I go with unless someone here can convince me to wait on the vrp one?

I have not heard too much about the Weistec h/e

Also for $179 I could get a frozen boost which is the same one ftp and pb5 sell but I've read it weighs a ton and the cooling is not that good??

Sorry if you find this post unnecessary, I have a bit of an ocd when trying to figure out what to buy for my car.

I live in Florida so cooling is #1 for me and I do not want a killer chiller, it looks hard to install for me and I have read people have problems with their ac temps in the cabin, I really need my ac here :/

If you have a H/E for sale please pm me I do not mind buying used.

Last edited by MartinWake; 11-12-2020 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-11-2020 | 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
I would do the the VRP secondary heat exchanger. The DTK is big and harder to install. People don't like the welds. It's nothing to look at but I have not heard of the newer one leaking

Last edited by Ls1toAMG; 11-11-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2020 | 04:16 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
I would do the the VRP secondary heat exchanger. The DTK is big and harder to install. People don't like the welds. It's nothing to look at but I have not heard of the newer one leaking
vrp 2ndary is the one that goes infront of radiator right? Not sure if it will fit on the cl since my stock heatexchanger is already there
Old 11-11-2020 | 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
It will fit because it doe's not go down that far and is bolted to the front frame support.
Old 11-11-2020 | 08:54 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by SICAMG
It will fit because it doe's not go down that far and is bolted to the front frame support.
the problem is the cl has more radiators and heat stuff there so I am not sure, it is pretty good tho cheaper then all the other options. Even if it does fit as I said earlier I'm not sure how it will like both heat exchangers being sandwiched together.

At the bottom where the e class has its stock heat exchanger mine does not have it so there it will get its own fresh air

I'd have to see its not a bad idea but just not 100% sure it will fit.
Old 11-11-2020 | 08:59 PM

CL55

Here is a picture, the stock heat exchanger is right behind that first radiator which i think is the ac stuff
Old 11-11-2020 | 09:13 PM

CL55
Video I recorded a while back

Old 11-11-2020 | 11:17 PM

W210, W164, W220, W222
Originally Posted by MartinWake

Here is a picture, the stock heat exchanger is right behind that first radiator which i think is the ac stuff
ABC oil cooler in front of your HE. My S55 has the similar setup with a slightly smaller primary exchanger.
Old 11-12-2020 | 12:40 AM

CL55
Originally Posted by AudiologyVA
ABC oil cooler in front of your HE. My S55 has the similar setup with a slightly smaller primary exchanger.
haha watch the whole video, correct me if I'm wrong

Old 11-12-2020 | 10:34 AM

W210, W164, W220, W222
Originally Posted by MartinWake
haha watch the whole video, correct me if I'm wrong

https://youtu.be/HWph6pAtJlU
My bad, I didn't realize you had a longer version of the video. You're description sounds correct to me. And yes, as for the S55 a primary H/E sandwich to the radiator and a auxiliary cooler at the valance. A few years ago while getting my car service at a local tuner shop in Orange County they were installing a PLM on a CL65 (granted if the front crash bar is similar to a CL55?), the fitment looked good with very minimal modification to mount it. With your setup, I feel the VRP secondary H/E would impede flow on the generous sized factory exchanger. Go with a valance mount, just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2020 | 02:28 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by AudiologyVA
My bad, I didn't realize you had a longer version of the video. You're description sounds correct to me. And yes, as for the S55 a primary H/E sandwich to the radiator and a auxiliary cooler at the valance. A few years ago while getting my car service at a local tuner shop in Orange County they were installing a PLM on a CL65 (granted if the front crash bar is similar to a CL55?), the fitment looked good with very minimal modification to mount it. With your setup, I feel the VRP secondary H/E would impede flow on the generous sized factory exchanger. Go with a valance mount, just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking why block the flow of the factory h/e when there is free space at the bottom.