Sponsored by:

Fuel tank repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
F350 E55 E39
Fuel tank repair

Man, this is frustrating. My 06 wagon has developed the dreaded fuel tank leak under the rear seat. My local dealership (MB of Westminster CO) had the car for a couple of days and it was approved to have the fuel tank replaced under warranty at no cost to me, however its been a couple of months and they have no idea when the ETA of that part might be.

Typically, I never take my vehicles to dealerships and do ALL of my own work unless its completely covered by warranty or recall. Though the dealership has been very friendly, I'm also not very convinced that they are working all that hard to obtain these parts. Its not a big deal that things are taking awhile; we have five other vehicles to drive, its winter so the AMG is garaged anyways, and we are spending the next month at our Michigan house anyways. But man, I LOVE that car and want to know it'll be fixed for spring.

So what are the alternatives? is there a DIY solution, even if temporary? Has the aftermarket come up with any solutions? Do we know of any way to escalate the situation and find the replacement tank? The dealer commented that it is particularly rare being a wagon, is that truly the case? are the wagon and sedan tanks different?

Unfortunately, driving around with a half tank isn't an option. aggressive canyon driving sloshes fuel out even at low levels, and if I'm not canyon driving I'm cannonballing between Colorado and Michigan, so tank capacity is critical.

thanks ya'll!

Tim
Old 12-15-2020, 01:26 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Unfortunately there are no aftermarket alternatives, it's just too narrowly specific for any kind of demand (esp since most are replaced under warranty anyway), and being a defect in the tank there isn't a temp fix either that I know of.

Yes, wagons are definitely way more rare (from what I've read - under 200 imported to the US, and only 64 of the 2006 model year, so cherish yours!) and while I don't have access to a parts book, I would bet money that the tanks are different just with how the rear seat is mounted and where it sits on the chassis. So yeah, this would be the main issue of a hold up, however there were a lot more wagons in Europe and I'm sure they have a handful w/ the same issues, so hopefully the delay is just getting a large package like that across the sea (they may have sent freight via oceanliner, and are just waiting for it to land in a US warehouse with another big re-stock order?).

The only thing I'd try is asking if they have European stock, and if so how much expedited freight would cost. Maybe w/ the delay they would get MB to cover that too?

Bummer man, hopefully it shows up soon!
Old 12-17-2020, 02:56 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Sorry I haven't read everything but if the tanks are different, just don't replace it. I know the dealer replaces the entire thing but the leak is usually the top hats so you will probably be fine just replacing the contents of the tank instead. I presume those parts would be the same as the sedan.

I replaced my fuel pump top hat only, added electrical harness adaptor and seal, problem solved. I got lucky but often you need to change the whole lot (pump and sender assemblies) as the revisions they did make sure nothing is backwards compatible.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 976 Likes on 759 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
What tw2 said.

Be advised there is a fitting that could leak on top of tank between tophats and accessible with tank dropped. Unlikely but always possible; I only saw one post on it. If the fuel is in the tophats then start with tw2's advice.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Bad idea. The tanks leak from the vent valve fitting up top. The new tanks have a different material being used there (orange plastic vs. white plastic)
Old 01-07-2021, 04:48 PM

F350 E55 E39
hey guys, thank you very much for the feedback. I'd read through everything and had been stewing in the back of my head for several weeks about this trying to think of alternate solutions and better paths forward or some way to stir some action from somebody, i was pretty darn not pleased with the whole scenario.

and then BING! I get a txt message from the dealer saying that my new tank arrived direct from Stuttgart. The dealer didn't even have any idea, but I guess the factory went right to work on it, put a new tank together and then dropped it on the slow boat from Germany. car should go in for surgery next week, and we'll enjoy a GLC loaner for a couple of days.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:23 PM

F350 E55 E39
Mission accomplished! MB of Westminster sorted the car out in only a couple of days and let us enjoy a brand new GLC AMG while they were at it.