Sponsored by:

Problem with Bi-Xenon Auto Leveling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Exclamation Problem with Bi-Xenon Auto Leveling

Hi, my headlight auto level is working wrong. On the first startup left headlight only goes up and a bit down and stays there (aiming at the trees) while the right light works fine. And when I restart the car everything goes back to normal. It's annoying to start the car two times every time I want to drive. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Made a video to showcase this problem:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qNh...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-21-2021, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
The motors inside the headlamp go bad. Solution is to replace both headlamp assemblies $$$$, or take them apart, disconnect the height motors and then manually adjust the lights to the proper level and leave them alone.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Sorry did you watch the video? The only right headlight has a problem on the first startup. When I shut down the car and turn in back on headlight levels up evenly. When it levels up.. I can shut down the car as many times as I want and it will level up.
But when the car sits for 5-10 minutes, on the first startup it aims right headlight higher.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Janis Z
Sorry did you watch the video? The only right headlight has a problem on the first startup. When I shut down the car and turn in back on headlight levels up evenly. When it levels up.. I can shut down the car as many times as I want and it will level up.
But when the car sits for 5-10 minutes, on the first startup it aims right headlight higher.
The car will attempt to level both headlights at the same time, and when it finds one side isn't working, it stops motion in both of them. I had an issue with mine that the cornering motors weren't working, and my passenger side headlight would get stuck pointing off right or left. I naturally assumed the passenger light was borked, but it turns out the passenger side was moving properly, but the driver's side wasn't, so when the driver's side didn't move appropriately, the car froze both lights. My guess is that you have an intermittent failure in one of them.

There was a fix for the motors, using washers. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Found it: https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...motor-fix.html

Last edited by bobgodd; 01-21-2021 at 07:40 PM.