Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 12:00 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
E55 pulley replacement

This is a pretty useless post. I went to replace my supercharger and accessory pulleys and belts but ended up replacing only one pulley as the rest all looked perfect. I cannot recommend enough removing the front under shield to gain access to the accessory tensioner. It made it very easy to take the belt off and put it back on again. There was also a single high pressure line (guessing power steering) that can easily be moved out of the way after undoing one E-torx bolt in its bracket. With a small torque wrench there is no need to take out the radiator fan assembly although some people do. Best I can find, the torque values are 20Nm for pulleys and 25Nm for the tensioner to block bolts.

Helpful links:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ld-27-a-3.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...elt-diy-2.html

I bought a 3 pulley aftermarket replacement kit from shardul. With the OEM accessory tensioner and small idler pulley being so cheap I can't see any reason to not go OEM on them. The supercharger ones however are a lot more expensive but prices are lower than they used to be.

Torque wrench with T35 torx.

This fits easily into both the supercharger tensioner pulley bolt AND the double idler pulley bolt without removing the radiator fan assembly.

My pulleys both spun perfectly with no play in any direction and also look quite new. They might have been replaced before I got the car a few years ago.

I will put these in next time but no reason to replace the others yet.

The supercharger tensioner pulley on the other hand was looking rusty around the edges and I think the grease is looking to jump ship.

Looks a bit better.

OEM accessory belt tensioner. These are the same for all M112 and M113 engines and as such are pretty cheap. Mine was still good so back to the cupboard. The smaller idler pulley is also very cheap.

Again my belts looked good so back to the cupboard.
The following 2 users liked this post by tw2:
ls1_mast (02-28-2021), TheYellowCarGuy (02-28-2021)