Sponsored by:

VRP pulley issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 sl55 amg
VRP pulley issues

Installed a vrp 76mm pulley and tune last year and the gap was around 1.1mm with no shims behind it. The car ran perfectly smooth until I installed the VRP pulley and tune. With the VRP pulley its jerky under moderate acceleration and bucks hard when immediately letting off throttle. I went back and forth with VRP and they blame my car but the car was perfectly fine until the day I installed there pulley. VRP wanted me to drive it for awhile (6 months now) and said gap will close up more which it has to .75mm. The tuner and a few others said the gap must be within spec, but VRP claims anything under 1mm is fine on there pulley. My stock pulley was .35 with one shim behind it. I can live with the slight jerking under acceleration but the hard buck when letting off is terrible. I contacted VRP again now as they said last year they would take it back to look at it, but now there no help. Looking for suggestions. Seems like VRP is making excuses. This is on a 07 SL55.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:38 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Facts are his products are garbage,nothing is proven ,nothing is really tested and his fitments are terrible. Send it back and buy a quality pulley from upd.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:04 AM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Seems to me vrp are too busy spamming their forum posts bumping their product links to support customers. I think their business model is to bait in unsuspecting customers rather than work on repeat business. Always research mod companies before buying. I usually hit search engines for complaints/failures rather than getting reviews of people who just installed products. I've seen quite a lot of complaint about their pulling over the years. My UPD products never mised a beat must have been nearly 5 years on them now and 30k miles.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:19 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
Its difficult to trust one brand... I've read about UPD having pulley failures on these forums. So who can we really trust...
Old 03-02-2021, 02:59 AM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Yeah it's true but upd for me and as far as I know have had excellent post sale customer service. To me that's when a brand or company really show their value or true colours. Everyone is good up to the point they get your money but not everyone can is so great once they have it especially when be costing them. Vrpspeed ive seen mixed results but sometines it's still worth. I buy my cellphones parallel imported out of china. I know I can't expect any customer service post sale but the price worth it in this situation for me..
Old 03-02-2021, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
We gave you the opportunity to send the pulley in last June to have the tolerances checked, You declined. The variation in friction plate is your issue as I already told you. Your Stock pulley may have been further back to compensate for the friction plate, But as i told you through email the variance in friction plates is "Massive" (In quotes because we are talking about fractions of a millimeter) By massive I mean across 15+ superchargers you will find variances of over .3 guaranteed. The pulley can be "shimmed" artificially, But realize as your car ran a stock pulley for 10+ years the friction plate also wore back even further. If you take that pulley over to a friends house and slap it on his blower the variance will be different. There is ALOT of emphasis put on this pulley gap .75 is not an issue.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 sl55 amg
Originally Posted by VictoryRoadPerformance
We gave you the opportunity to send the pulley in last June to have the tolerances checked, You declined. The variation in friction plate is your issue as I already told you. Your Stock pulley may have been further back to compensate for the friction plate, But as i told you through email the variance in friction plates is "Massive" (In quotes because we are talking about fractions of a millimeter) By massive I mean across 15+ superchargers you will find variances of over .3 guaranteed. The pulley can be "shimmed" artificially, But realize as your car ran a stock pulley for 10+ years the friction plate also wore back even further. If you take that pulley over to a friends house and slap it on his blower the variance will be different. There is ALOT of emphasis put on this pulley gap .75 is not an issue.
It's actually .95 cold. I just measured it again since its been sitting all winter. You actually told me to drive it for awhile and it will get better. You kept saying its my car that has the problem with magnets but the stock pulley is perfectly fine till I installed yours. I also explained to you i have multiple cars and don't put many miles on. I asked to send it back in the winter after a few miles were on it and you said that was fine. The car has 95,000 miles and hasn't been driven since November, I'm in Wisconsin. Now you said its too late and won't cover it. I have the emails, so now your not honoring your word. Good service.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
Here's the message we sent Daryl on June 3rd.... Does anyone see an issue with this?

We would never allow a customer to "USE" a part for 8 months while they wait to return it... Us allowing you to "send it in in winter" Is to check the tolerances and adjust if necessary as in the above screenshot.

Its winter now... you can still send it in to be checked.

We will still service it.. But not return and refund it... This isn't our first rodeo.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:02 PM

E55 amg
Guess what... The company that makes the UPD clutched pulleys makes ours too... so everything you just said is so wrong So many Uninformed **** talkers on here its amazing.
Bull crap,they don't make your stuff..Now your lying and full of it but that's nature.

Your like ali express and wish rolled into one company.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:03 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by jafo1970
It's actually .95 cold. I just measured it again since its been sitting all winter. You actually told me to drive it for awhile and it will get better. You kept saying its my car that has the problem with magnets but the stock pulley is perfectly fine till I installed yours. I also explained to you i have multiple cars and don't put many miles on. I asked to send it back in the winter after a few miles were on it and you said that was fine. The car has 95,000 miles and hasn't been driven since November, I'm in Wisconsin. Now you said its too late and won't cover it. I have the emails, so now your not honoring your word. Good service.
''\

If you used paypal or credit card reach out to them on this situation.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:40 AM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Looking to buy a CLS55/63
So VRP pulleys aren't good?
Old 09-26-2022, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
Originally Posted by Jerseyjules
So VRP pulleys aren't good?
We sell hundreds of pulleys each year. This is one instance of a person having a bad friction plate (on the supercharger not the pulley) and we offered to check the pulley for them and they declined to send the pulley in to be checked. We stand behind our products, I think you will have a very difficult time finding posts about failed VRP pulleys.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:25 PM

We sell hundreds of pulleys each year. This is one instance of a person having a bad friction plate (on the supercharger not the pulley) and we offered to check the pulley for them and they declined to send the pulley in to be checked. We stand behind our products, I think you will have a very difficult time finding posts about failed VRP pulleys.
Oh I see. So did he have an issue with your customer service? Cause I can see that, considering it's have emailed you guys several times with questions on products and how to proceed and have gotten zero responses. I contacted you cause Alex from legit street cars is forever hyping your products in his videos. It's unfortunate you give a very detailed response to this post yet choose to ignore my email inquiries.🤷🏻‍♂️
I wound up with UPD products
The following users liked this post:
dimg60 (09-28-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 11:51 AM

Location: Mercedes Benz of Catonsville, Maryland AMG Performance Center, Renntech Dealer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - Weistec Supercharged, 1994 Nissan Skyline GTST (650whp), 2012 E350 4-Matic (Wifeys)
I had a similar experience with VRP. I purchased their belt wrap kit and Whipple tensioner. Spent $1100. Installed the kit, nothing lined up correctly and when I tensioned the belt, the Whipple tensioner popped and went limp. I contacted VRP and all I was told is that “The parts have been installed already, and they won’t help me out. Contact Whipple for help”

I will never buy from VRP again. And Anyone I come into contact with will also hear my story. Sucks for them, because I’m a 16 year Benz master tech, who speaks with A LOT OF PEOPLE. Also, I just broke their M113k horsepower “record”, without their help!

I’ll sell their junk parts for a loss, and move on. Lesson learned.
The following users liked this post:
Jerseyjules (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stubbyfoil
I had a similar experience with VRP. I purchased their belt wrap kit and Whipple tensioner. Spent $1100. Installed the kit, nothing lined up correctly and when I tensioned the belt, the Whipple tensioner popped and went limp. I contacted VRP and all I was told is that “The parts have been installed already, and they won’t help me out. Contact Whipple for help”

I will never buy from VRP again. And Anyone I come into contact with will also hear my story. Sucks for them, because I’m a 16 year Benz master tech, who speaks with A LOT OF PEOPLE. Also, I just broke their M113k horsepower “record”, without their help!

I’ll sell their junk parts for a loss, and move on. Lesson learned.
I managed to most likely damage the UPD double idler pulley installing it incorrectly. He send me new parts and I ordered more stuff from him. He has answered all my inquiries from day one,promptly.
I'm new to the AMG scene (not the car game) and rely heavily on YouTube and forum recommendations when familiarizing myself with this platform. I contacted VRP only cause of Alex on LSC channel and got zero reply from them, I had no choice but to move along to another highly recommend manufacturer. So far UPD has been aces with me..👍
Old 09-27-2022, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Also, I just broke their M113k horsepower “record”, without their help! .

What would that horsepower number be?

Curious to your mods also?
Old 09-28-2022, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 351 Likes on 302 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
700whp 860 torque with a Weistec 22psi
Old 09-28-2022, 09:16 PM

Location: Mercedes Benz of Catonsville, Maryland AMG Performance Center, Renntech Dealer
2005 E55 AMG - Weistec Supercharged, 1994 Nissan Skyline GTST (650whp), 2012 E350 4-Matic (Wifeys)
Sorry. I should NOT come in here bashing VRP. It’s not like they screwed me over. I’m just salty I spent $1100 a week before my Dyno day, and none of it worked! Haha.

In all honesty, they shipped super fast, and replied super fast stating “read the rules, we don’t take refunds on installed items.” Nothing out of the ordinary, like I said, I was just salty because it was a waste of $1000.

VRP is actually doing awesome things to keep our 55k platforms going! I know of a few people who run their clutched upper pulleys with no real complaints.

my setup is basically a max effort early generation Weistec kit on a 100% stock engine. No ported heads. No cams. Bone stock with a big fuel system.
105mm throttle body
MBH long tubes
180mm ASP crank pulley-not pinned or anything(knock on wood)
69mm Griptec blower pulley
Old 09-28-2022, 09:25 PM

Sorry. I should NOT come in here bashing VRP. It’s not like they screwed me over. I’m just salty I spent $1100 a week before my Dyno day, and none of it worked! Haha.

In all honesty, they shipped super fast, and replied super fast stating “read the rules, we don’t take refunds on installed items.” Nothing out of the ordinary, like I said, I was just salty because it was a waste of $1000.

VRP is actually doing awesome things to keep our 55k platforms going! I know of a few people who run their clutched upper pulleys with no real complaints.

my setup is basically a max effort early generation Weistec kit on a 100% stock engine. No ported heads. No cams. Bone stock with a big fuel system.
105mm throttle body
MBH long tubes
wow that was a complete 360 from your original post. Lol😂

Old 09-28-2022, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SICAMG
700whp 860 torque with a Weistec 22psi

105mm throttle body
MBH long tubes

Nice. Is that your numbers that SICAMG posted?
Old 09-29-2022, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jerseyjules
wow that was a complete 360 from your original post. Lol😂
Haha I meant what I said saying that I won’t buy their products anymore. I’m just not trying to start an internet war. They weren’t out of line telling me to pound sand. However, many companies I’ve dealt with would go out of their way to help someone who just spent $1100. Instead, I was just told “tough luck”. I’m just more proud that I smashed their horsepower numbers without their help, and was just being a douche about it haha.

My car actually did a peak of 915wtq on one run, but the average of the final 4 “power” runs was 694whp/865wtq at about 21.5psi. There are Dyno videos on YouTube. Search Weistec E55. Also, the car is kind of for sale at the moment.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:34 AM

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
Have you run the 1/4 yet? Just curious.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain35
Have you run the 1/4 yet? Just curious.

Yeah the car has been 10.9@131 on a really hot day with no ice or meth (it runs a little too rich with the meth)

last weekend it went 10.81@134 on a cooler night but my 60 foot wasn’t the best. 3rd gear on the highway feels like a 10.0 car. It pulls like an ABSOLUTE FREIGHT TRAIN. The 722.6 transmission seems to be what’s holding it back. It seems like my car takes 1.5 seconds to change gears, meanwhile the 10 speed Camaro I was blowing the doors off of, I can hear the transmission just absolutely BANGING gears in milliseconds.

My car is for sale in the For sale section. We’re off topic. This is a VRP pulley thread! Haha

Old 10-02-2022, 12:25 PM

Received 236 Likes on 197 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Yeah the car has been 10.9@131 on a really hot day with no ice or meth (it runs a little too rich with the meth)

last weekend it went 10.81@134 on a cooler night but my 60 foot wasn’t the best. 3rd gear on the highway feels like a 10.0 car. It pulls like an ABSOLUTE FREIGHT TRAIN. The 722.6 transmission seems to be what’s holding it back. It seems like my car takes 1.5 seconds to change gears, meanwhile the 10 speed Camaro I was blowing the doors off of, I can hear the transmission just absolutely BANGING gears in milliseconds.

My car is for sale in the For sale section. We’re off topic. This is a VRP pulley thread! Haha
Trans issues resolved with mkultraelectronics.com trans controller.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:55 PM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by machild
Trans issues resolved with mkultraelectronics.com trans controller.
I second this. It is amazing what his TCU does to transform the shifting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VRP pulley issues