Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG power rating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG power rating

Its widely thought that AMG underate their cars power and torque output and dyno outputs have tended to confirm this, that is if you believe them anyway. Locally i read that the SL55 had its numbers updated to more truly reflect its performance from 350kw => 368kw where as the E55 is still rated at 350kw. I don't see the logic behind underating the numbers. Does anyone have any idea why they'd do this, surely advertising the true higher and more impressive stats would lead to more sales! The E55 seems pretty simple to mod to get reasonable gains, then why don't AMG do this at the factory it would be even cheaper for them (AMG) than the aftermarket tuners.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by reggid
Its widely thought that AMG underate their cars power and torque output and dyno outputs have tended to confirm this, that is if you believe them anyway. Locally i read that the SL55 had its numbers updated to more truly reflect its performance from 350kw => 368kw where as the E55 is still rated at 350kw. I don't see the logic behind underating the numbers. Does anyone have any idea why they'd do this, surely advertising the true higher and more impressive stats would lead to more sales! The E55 seems pretty simple to mod to get reasonable gains, then why don't AMG do this at the factory it would be even cheaper for them (AMG) than the aftermarket tuners.
Very simple. If they show the same output to be available on the E55, then how do you substantiate the SIGNIFICANT cost difference between the E55 and the SL55? They want to at least show that there the SL55 has a little more HP as to appease those buyers who are spending a good bit more than us.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by reggid
Most times engines are underrated by manufacturers to get around "Gas Guzzler" taxes and other taxes that are imposed on high performance vehicles. It also helps to keep insurance costs lower when power is underrated.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
japanese cars have a self imposed 276 hp limitation but the cars that they have there, evo, wrx etc are over 276.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ThemisN
Very simple. If they show the same output to be available on the E55, then how do you substantiate the SIGNIFICANT cost difference between the E55 and the SL55? They want to at least show that there the SL55 has a little more HP as to appease those buyers who are spending a good bit more than us.

Well said, this is the main reason.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:05 PM

SLK55 AMG
i thought they add some power to the SL55 to match its weight, (the weight of the rectractable hardtop)