Sponsored by:

Is there A Way to Tame SBC Noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 AMG Kombi
Is there A Way to Tame SBC Noise?

Pretty basic question. Is there a way to bring the noise levels down from the SBC system? Mine is very loud, and can be felt very strongly through the brake pedal, as well as the steering wheel. I have trouble believing this was how the car would have behaved when new. Anything that could be done to reduce the amount of noise and vibration?
Old 05-19-2021, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Back when the cars were new this was a common complaint. MB came out with some updated lines that had dampers and/or flex sections to reduce the noise and vibration along with some technical bulletins addressing the issue. I don't know if those parts are still available or if your particular car already has those updates fitted.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:55 AM

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
I installed the damper on mine, they are still available and not terribly expensive. Mine was quite noisy and I'd say it reduced it by roughly 50%, still noticeable but no longer annoying. I used to worry having other people driving the car that they'd think something was terribly wrong haha.

You do have to flush the system when you install it though, so you'll need STAR or a dealer.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:58 AM

2006 E55 AMG Kombi
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
I installed the damper on mine, they are still available and not terribly expensive. Mine was quite noisy and I'd say it reduced it by roughly 50%, still noticeable but no longer annoying. I used to worry having other people driving the car that they'd think something was terribly wrong haha.

You do have to flush the system when you install it though, so you'll need STAR or a dealer.
Do you happen to have a part number, Sir?

Mine is quite loud, and I've had the same worry when I loaned the car to family and friends. Thankfully, none of them seem to be as sensitive to their vehicle as I am.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:08 AM

2006 E55 AMG Kombi
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Back when the cars were new this was a common complaint. MB came out with some updated lines that had dampers and/or flex sections to reduce the noise and vibration along with some technical bulletins addressing the issue. I don't know if those parts are still available or if your particular car already has those updates fitted.
Is there an easy way to tell whether these parts are installed? Also, do these parts have the potential to harden and lose effectiveness with age? Feels like the noise/vibration has gotten worse lately.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:59 AM

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Originally Posted by feeshta
Is there an easy way to tell whether these parts are installed? Also, do these parts have the potential to harden and lose effectiveness with age? Feels like the noise/vibration has gotten worse lately.
No idea on the cause, I bought my car with 130k miles and it was bad then so I tackled this soon after. Linking a thread below that has part number and procedure in the 2nd or 3rd post, it's what I used. You should be able to compare the new hose in the pic to the one you have to see if it has been fitted on yours. My only other theory on brake system wear is the master cylinder, I had a tech drive my car even after a full flush say it felt a little soft, and there is wear that can occur inside the master cylinder that is impossible to check. I'm planning to replace mine the next time I do a flush since they aren't terribly expensive, otherwise the damper definitely helped the buzzing and feedback.

Here's the thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...rt-number.html
Old 05-21-2021, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 638 Likes on 439 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Yeah the brake feel on these cars is lousy. Both the pedal travel and overall response. But I never drove one new so I don't know if it's normal. Thankfully mine is quiet and no real NVH at all. It has a newer unit though.