Sponsored by:

Automatic Volume Adjustment/Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Automatic Volume Adjustment/Control

I know there is no user-available setting to disable the automatic volume adjustment in the W211s but does anyone have the solution to this? STAR setting? I would think the vehicle has got to get the input from some sort of microphone that could be disconnected as a mechanical solution. My automatic adjustment is super sensitive and borderline maddening after installing MBH headers a while back. The car interprets the extra noise and drone when under load and really spikes the volume. I'm not talking about just heavy throttle either. I'm talking when going up an incline or something. I literally have to modulate the volume in concert (buh-dum-pish) with the elevation changes in the road.

I've searched the forums and no solution was ever offered in any of the numerous threads about it. First world problems, I know.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Sorry, I have no advice to give you. As my W211 E63 doesn't do this.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Agreed it's very annoying. The simple fix is to unplug the microphone located inside the overhead control panel (dome light assembly)
If memory serves correct, it's the small half moon shaped cover.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Agreed it's very annoying. The simple fix is to unplug the microphone located inside the overhead control panel (dome light assembly)
If memory serves correct, it's the small half moon shaped cover.
Yeah I remember doing this in my previous c32 amg. Disconnected that microphone and no more auto adjustments, worked great.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e63 amg
Originally Posted by 87geeinn
I know there is no user-available setting to disable the automatic volume adjustment in the W211s but does anyone have the solution to this? STAR setting? I would think the vehicle has got to get the input from some sort of microphone that could be disconnected as a mechanical solution. My automatic adjustment is super sensitive and borderline maddening after installing MBH headers a while back. The car interprets the extra noise and drone when under load and really spikes the volume. I'm not talking about just heavy throttle either. I'm talking when going up an incline or something. I literally have to modulate the volume in concert (buh-dum-pish) with the elevation changes in the road.

I've searched the forums and no solution was ever offered in any of the numerous threads about it. First world problems, I know.
The microphone is in the overhead control panel by the SOS button. My microphone broke when I took the control panel off to replace the panoroof motor. Does anyone know a part number or where I could buy one?
Old 05-26-2021, 05:01 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Thanks for the replies and pointing me in the right direction. For anyone else wanting to disable the microphone, all you have to do is drop the dome light assembly and rear view mirror (plenty of YouTube videos on how to do this). Next, disconnect the white connector located in the top-center of the dome light assembly. The mic is a two wire, brown and white lead. Microphone is pushed into the small cavity on the small trim piece located directly above the rear view mirror; the one with a little oval hole in it Pics for reference:

The following users liked this post:
Naeblis (11-28-2021)