Sponsored by:

M113k harmonic balancer bolt part number needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 09:04 PM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 E55
M113k harmonic balancer bolt part number needed

I have done a search on here and all of the online parts sites. I can find the balancer and the seal numbers, but no site seems to list the part number or even an image for the balancer bolt.

I had the car at the dealer today for a sunroof recall. They did a "multi-point" inspection and said my balancer was wobbly. Now I have spent hours going down the rabbit hole trying to find all the parts and the tool I need to fix it myself as inexpensively as possible. Any help with the bolt part number would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 207 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by MJBelcher500
I have done a search on here and all of the online parts sites. I can find the balancer and the seal numbers, but no site seems to list the part number or even an image for the balancer bolt.

I had the car at the dealer today for a sunroof recall. They did a "multi-point" inspection and said my balancer was wobbly. Now I have spent hours going down the rabbit hole trying to find all the parts and the tool I need to fix it myself as inexpensively as possible. Any help with the bolt part number would be appreciated.
Part number 000 990 02 00
Old 06-07-2021, 10:14 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by machild
Part number 000 990 02 00
Thank you! When I run the number in the MB Parts sites it says that this does not fit my 2006 E55, though it does fit G55. I realize now it must be something wrong with the database. This does seem to be the correct number. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG

All Mercedes balancers are wobbly, and have been for 40 years They look like they're about to come flying off all the time. I would seriously look into it before I pulled it off.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:39 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by equitiesguy
All Mercedes balancers are wobbly, and have been for 40 years They look like they're about to come flying off all the time. I would seriously look into it before I pulled it off.
The wobble in and of itself didn't bother me, but it did get me to take a closer look. I wedged my camera between the radiator and the balancer to see if I could get any usable pics. I have attached what I got. It does look like the rubber is coming apart. I'd rather not change it if I don't need to, but also don't want to risk causing any damage by leaving it.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 685 Likes on 465 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
I bet a new one doesn't look that great.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:52 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by kevm14
I bet a new one doesn't look that great.
Do you think I should leave it alone and keep an eye on it? What should I be looking for that would indicate that it is time to change it? I appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 685 Likes on 465 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
I don't have any experience with the balancer on these cars. I believe mine does wobble slightly. But I'm tracking what people are saying so it didn't seem too far of a guess that they don't look that great even when new. It could just be the way they are made. Someone else would have to chime in to confirm/deny.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
This issue needs to be addressed now, leaving and hoping for the best won't help. If the harmonic balancer was to come apart, it could do a lot of damage at highway speed, like destroying your radiator, hoses, belts etc.
And leave you stranded on the side of the road. Best of order a new balancer and have it installed at a reputable shop.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 781 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
What Yuille36 said with special emphasis on his last sentence. Incorrect installation will result in a destroyed crankshaft!
Old 06-08-2021, 03:32 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
What Yuille36 said with special emphasis on his last sentence. Incorrect installation will result in a destroyed crankshaft!
I am a mechanic and machinist for both automotive and aircraft. Aside from needing the proper MB balancer holding tool (which I will buy) and the need for high torque levels, what specially does one need to watch out for during installation? It appears fairly straight forward. After seeing some of what goes on at the local dealer I am not convinced they have any special skill sets.

It does seem that having the car up on a lift and working from the underside would be preferable to working from the top? Any recommendations either way?
The following users liked this post:
kevm14 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 781 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
I am a mechanic and machinist for both automotive and aircraft. Aside from needing the proper MB balancer holding tool (which I will buy) and the need for high torque levels, what specially does one need to watch out for during installation? It appears fairly straight forward. After seeing some of what goes on at the local dealer I am not convinced they have any special skill sets.

It does seem that having the car up on a lift and working from the underside would be preferable to working from the top? Any recommendations either way?
It is straightforward. No special skill set required, just an ability to follow the workshop information system (WIS) instructions. There are several documented instances on the subform of folks who had the harmonic balancer replaced at shops that did not understand about the holding tool and the proper torque requirements. This seems very simple for those of us who understand the importance of proper torque on a one-time use bolt. In the referenced cases however, the bolts were not torqued properly and the harmonic balancer came loose and the woodruff key proceeded to be ripped out of its groove and destroyed the forged crankshaft. So, just follow the WIS instructions.
EDIT: I seem to remember one post mentioning it took two very large individuals and a 5-ft pipe extension on a three-quarter inch drive breaker bar to torque the bolt properly. My recollection may be erroneous but that one sticks in my mind.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 06-08-2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:44 PM

2006 E55
Thumbs up

It is straightforward. No special skill set required, just an ability to follow the workshop information system (WIS) instructions. There are several documented instances on the subform of folks who had the harmonic balancer replaced at shops that did not understand about the holding tool and the proper torque requirements. This seems very simple for those of us who understand the importance of proper torque on a one-time use bolt. In the referenced cases however, the bolts were not torqued properly and the harmonic balancer came loose and the woodruff key proceeded to be ripped out of its groove and destroyed the forged crankshaft. So, just follow the WIS instructions.
EDIT: I seem to remember one post mentioning it took two very large individuals and a 5-ft pipe extension on a three-quarter inch drive breaker bar to torque the bolt properly. My recollection may be erroneous but that one sticks in my mind.
Thank you for the follow up and clarification. I understand the need for a substantial amount of force being required to reach the proper torque and importance of reaching the correct value. I'll make sure to have a large friend nearby when i need to add the 90 degrees once the 20nm is reached
Old 06-09-2021, 02:05 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
I used a 5' pipe on a 1/2" drive Snap-on breaker bar with a 27mm 1/2" socket, and didn't need a second person to break it loose or tighten it.

The WIS is severely lacking for this entire job.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:06 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Thank you for the follow up and clarification. I understand the need for a substantial amount of force being required to reach the proper torque and importance of reaching the correct value. I'll make sure to have a large friend nearby when i need to add the 90 degrees once the 20nm is reached
I'm assuming you typo'd, but it is 200nm (or 147.5 ft/lbs) plus a 90 degree turn, not 20 nm (14.75 ft/lbs). Otherwise, you're going to be another one of the "stories" on this website in short order.