Sponsored by:

E63 - Steering Rack Shot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 11:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 E63 AMG W211
E63 - Steering Rack Shot?

Recently I noticed a "crack" noise while turning the steering wheel with load in the wheels (aka when I am not moving, or at a very low speed, as in when I'm parking).

I took the car to my "trusted" garage, and upon inspection they told me that the steering rack was completely shot, and that I needed to replace it.

And furthermore it had to be replaced ASAP, because of a safety reason and in order to avoid damage to other parts of the steering/suspension. Now, obviously and specially during these times it's no wonder the garage wants to replace my steering rack, but is it necessary? Or is just play in the rack due to normal wear and tear?

I want to clarify, that other than this barely noticeable noise (from inside the car that is) there is absolutely nothing wrong with the steering of the car. It's precise and it gets stiffer the higher the speed.

Just yesterday while driving back I did 220 kph for a while, and it felt as good as always.

Attached is the video which the garage forwarded to me to prove the rack is shot. Any thoughts?

As always, highly appreciated and thanks beforehand!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
video.mov (3.24 MB, 30 views)