W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My W211 E63 is now a low-rider (Airmatic issue)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E63
My W211 E63 is now a low-rider (Airmatic issue)

Thanks in advance for any assistance...I was only recently admiring an 80s E class with a lowrider kit and now my car wants to be the same.

Facts are:

'07 E63 purchased ~10 months ago;
Previous owner told me that the front struts had been replaced about 2 years earlier;
Have had no Airmatic issues until 2 weeks ago when, on a long day trip (800km/500miles), the suspension malfunction indication appeared on the dash and did so after about ~10 mins or so of turning on after each stop in the trip. There were no visible/detectable issues or sounds and no sagging;
Car sat in my garage for 2 weeks locked with no visible/detectable issues or sounds until today when I unlocked it to get some stuff out. I heard 4 or 5 faint 'hmmph' sounds about 2 mins apart, like the sound of a compressor releasing pressure, and after 10 mins my rear left is fully sagged with the rear right only slightly sagged;
I have a standard non-MB specific OBD2 scanner and it picked up no error or pending error codes.

The fact that it sat there for 2 weeks without sagging and only started sagging after unlocking the car leads me to think that it's probably not a leak in a hose, but more likely related to the compressor? Is there an easy way to diagnose my issue based on the fact pattern? Would getting a MB-compatible OBD reader help?

Thanks again in advance for any help.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 E63
Recommend you read through some of the other posts on Airmatic problems on here as odds are at least one can point you to the likely issue. Sounds like what I've read in many of them and that a tow is going to be in order unless you have a setup to do everything at home.

As to your code it seems like from the way you word things the dash light went out and isn't giving an indicator now? If that's the case a standard reader probably isn't going to do much for you. The codes are universal and point you in a direction but only do so when one of the modules is actually throwing a code. The Mercedes specific rig is the Star Diagnostic system and costs a bit more than a standard ODB device but can tell you more. The thread on it is stickied up top in this forum.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E63
Originally Posted by Naeblis
Recommend you read through some of the other posts on Airmatic problems on here as odds are at least one can point you to the likely issue. Sounds like what I've read in many of them and that a tow is going to be in order unless you have a setup to do everything at home.

As to your code it seems like from the way you word things the dash light went out and isn't giving an indicator now? If that's the case a standard reader probably isn't going to do much for you. The codes are universal and point you in a direction but only do so when one of the modules is actually throwing a code. The Mercedes specific rig is the Star Diagnostic system and costs a bit more than a standard ODB device but can tell you more. The thread on it is stickied up top in this forum.
Thanks for the feedback. I did spend a few hours going through the forums but didn't seem to find an identical fact pattern. The malfunction light doesn't go away but fact that the car will stay up for weeks at a time whilst locked and rises when on/pressing the raise button leads me to think it may relate to the valve block rather than the compressor or struts themselves. I thought it best to order a decent OBD scanner to get to the bottom of the malfunction warning so I went for a Foxwell NT530 Benz and will see what that says.