W211 shifter module issue - advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 969 Likes on 753 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
W211 shifter module issue - advice?

Any recommended shops that can possibly repair the module? I understand the ESM must be programmed to the car so I cannot just take a used shifter module and stick it in my car.

Yesterday I experienced for the first time the dreaded "limp" mode on the transmission. I was driving easily, exited the high-speed expressway, slowed and turned onto a surface street only to have the transmission locked in 3rd gear. Carefully drove to a place of business I frequent to discover the car would not shift into reverse or park (that means I put it in neutral and pushed the car back so I could get it away from a wall). I was beginning to see visions of thousands of dollars for a rebuild on the transmission. Drove the car to the end of the building and parked it so a flat-bed truck could retrieve it, powered off the car and...it shifted into park! Restarted car and shifter and transmission were working. Drove home, connected to both the C3 and the C4 system (doing comparison against each other). Both cases no faults in transmission (and the adaptations are still looking good) but the ESM showed a "current and stored" CANBUS error that will not clear. Sigh...I want to resolve this rather than waiting for the issue to reoccur.

As stated above, it appears I cannot just swap in a used shifter module. Nonetheless, can a used module be virginized and programmed to the car? If so, I will call on some of the experts on the forum. FWIW, I did order a new L9615 eight-pin CANBUS transceiver chip from Digi-Key for $1.15. Worst case, I will pull the module and replace the transceiver chip and see if that resolves the issue.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
These often fail due to soda or coffee intrusion. You may want to try and take it apart and clean it. I saved a 163 ML shifter this way.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Center console removal?

EDIT: Found this video which shows me the two screws I failed to remove.

Spent some time this afternoon attempting to remove the center console without success. Pelican Parts has a good "how-to" for a 2003 but the 2005 console is different. I have the front of the console loose but when following the Pelican Parts instructions to "slide the console to the rear to release from the clips", no joy. I do not want to massively force it in case there are bolts holding down the rear of the console. Anyone have some advice? Use more force to slide the console rearward (urk!) or remove the rear ashtray to gain access to the "unknown but maybe there" bolts? If bolts are there, any advice on how to remove the ashtray?

I'm taking plenty of photos and will post them once I finish this job. I figure it is an intermittent opto-sensor that is dirty or has a bad solder joint. Nonetheless, I have a "refurbished" board enroute; if I use that I'll let you know whether or not I had to marry it to the car. A new ESM does need to be married to the car; unknown territory for me here.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 08-26-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I replaced mine (06 E55) with one from eBay and it just swapped right in, It does not need to be coded to the car. the original was even a keyless go and the new one isn’t.
Mine did throw a “shifter control module” code and after clearing it, it would drive fine for a little bit and end up back in limp mode, bought one one on eBay from a low mileage 2009 E320 for $95, took 30 mins to change and now, Bada bing!!!!
Old 08-28-2021, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
That's great to know. You just made bbirdwells day Im sure.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SICAMG
That's great to know. You just made bbirdwells day Im sure.
True, that! I purchased a refurbished shifter lever position sensor off of Ebay (refurbished in Romania!) with the same part number as mine. Disassembled the shift module assembly, replaced the electronic shift lever position module, reassembled and installed in my car and initial tests were good and the initial test drive is good. I will spend a few hours assembling the photos and creating the narrative to post for others. Total cost at this point is ~$135. Not bad.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Woo Hoo ! Great news. Love it when odd ball problems quickly come together in the end!
Old 10-31-2021, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 K
Shifter module issues

I am replacing mine tomorrow. It is a part number sensitive part. Needs to be identicle. Took me a month to find a used refurbished one. Protect it with your life. Find a way to protect it from all liquids etc. Takes minutes to install. Once correct part. Is located.
does anyone have suggestions so I can make mine "waterproof"?
Old 10-31-2021, 04:20 PM

Received 236 Likes on 197 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by viganskycarol
does anyone have suggestions so I can make mine "waterproof"?
Quite simple - no liquids in the car PERIOD.