Sponsored by:

Rear main seal m156

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 amg
Rear main seal m156

Has anyone replaced the rear main seal themselves on the m156? Trying to determine if a special tool is required to seat the new seal. Thanks
Old 10-11-2021, 01:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
before you make a decision i would look at MBWIS as its all spelled out subscribe or go to ebay for a copy
Old 10-27-2021, 05:36 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
I had rebuilt my Engine by manually removing the Heads and had them rebuilt and the IM rebuilt as well. I also rebuilt the front suspension,New Brakes, AirStruts, BJ's and was enjoying life once I got it all back together!! That is, until a few months later when the Rear Main Seal failure reared its ugly head by conitnually increasing its spew of oil, as a mist, from about 1 o"clock where the Tranny meets the Engine which caused oil drip from everywhere and ultimately coated the exhaust pipe!!! Being that I had been assembling all the bits to rebuild the rear end, once the Rear Main went, it was time to do the whole rear end while I was at it!! That said, I did rebuild my own Rear Main and Yes I bought the Mercedes Tool to install the Rear Main Seal and yes it does work perfectly. You might be able to avoid buying it by tapping it in yourself, but I certainly wouldn't! A little trick that works to remove it is to drill a small hole in the perimater of the Seal (the metal part) and then screw a wood or metal screw into it and use pliers to pull her out!! Good Luck!!