Sponsored by:

Whole transmission bad or converter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 07:46 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
Whole transmission bad or converter?

Hello, I was gonna make a post on the compatibility of which transmission would work on my 2003 CL55 AMG but the 722.643 is the only one. Anyways I found some for sale but none of them have the torque converter.

How could I know if my whole transmission is bad or just the torque converter or vice versa.

What I feel when driving is harsher shifts and it slips gears, I also hear a loud whining sound.

Below I will put a set of videos the first one is how the car sounds. Also this car has never not had trans fluid, the only reason I could think of that the trans went is how hard I drive it.

Sound when parked:

When the trans slipped:

Inside the pan:

Inside the trans fliter:

Thanks!

Also I already changed the conductor plate and plug it just extended the trans life for a little with the new fluid and filter.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:40 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
Does anyone know a place that might have these transmissions for sale other then eBay? Or around how much a rebuild can cost? If it's 1k or under?
Old 10-29-2021, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
You answered your own questions really. If the trans is slipping...you need a rebuild. If the torque converter is whining, you need a new converter/pump. Just bring it to a shop and let them pull it out and take it apart for an estimate. Your going to be in the $3,000 - $4,000 range for sure. Or pull it your self and bring it to a shop.