Sponsored by:

Designing Custom Surge tanks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 11:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 393 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
@SICAMG You can just weld 90* tubes to them. Modern masters welded piping to their first set because we didn't have couplers that could hold the negative pressure yet. the tubing is literally like $30.

It is a cool concept to make your own. But you you are going to be shocked when you find out how much they cost to make. In the end you're going to have a lot more than $950 into your time/waste of materials testing/ and getting a prototype. A prototype of what you have to this point is going to cost you $1300+ for a single sample and is going to stick out of the hood. Remember, You have tooling costs, Fixture costs, and the cost of 2x 5x5x18" Blocks of aluminum. You have 10 thread taps, as well as 2 welds. And you still need a custom coupler as unless your inlets are in the exact location ours are in ours will be too short if you are any taller, and ours are also oval and steel reinforced. minimum run size on something like that probably 100 pieces, $9,000-$10,000 Cool project, and awesome you are learning fusion360! In this instance I don't think DIY nets any savings. You 100% need a taper in the tank for flow, as well as an angled inlet.

however,

This is the prototype we made about 5 years ago, learned a lot from it, but we had a similar idea as you. (Didnt work whatsoever) but your work will lead you to a functioning design eventually!

Keep practicing 360, its a valuable skill, The platform needs a lot more parts, and more people to design them.

Last edited by VictoryRoadPerformance; 12-01-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by VictoryRoadPerformance
@SICAMG You can just weld 90* tubes to them. Modern masters welded piping to their first set because we didn't have couplers that could hold the negative pressure yet. the tubing is literally like $30.

It is a cool concept to make your own. But you you are going to be shocked when you find out how much they cost to make. In the end you're going to have a lot more than $950 into your time/waste of materials testing/ and getting a prototype. A prototype of what you have to this point is going to cost you $1300+ for a single sample and is going to stick out of the hood. Remember, You have tooling costs, Fixture costs, and the cost of 2x 5x5x18" Blocks of aluminum. You have 10 thread taps, as well as 2 welds. And you still need a custom coupler that's going to cost you $250+ to develop/test as unless your inlets are in the exact location ours are in. Ours will be too short if you are any taller, and ours are also oval and steel reinforced. Cool project, and awesome you are learning fusion360, In this instance I don't think DIY nets any savings. You 100% need a taper in the tank for flow, as well as an angled inlet.

however,

This is the prototype we made about 5 years ago, learned a lot from it, but we had a similar idea as you. (Didnt work whatsoever) but your work will lead you to a functioning design eventually!

Wow, honored to hear your guys replay and help. Didn’t really go into this thinking it was going to be successful but as a mini project for boredom reasons. I’ll try and continue making this thing right and I possibly might be able to my father to machine this stuff for me for free but just material cost. Very unlikely but worth a little bit of begging. I have finals soon so won’t be focusing on this as much but will try and pick back up.

Taper will be added thanks to your guy’s input and I can try to learn flow simulation to make sure it works. I thought about just taking some already cut aluminum pipe and cutting it up into pieces to get welded right incase just using a normal pipe and coupler didn’t work.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:15 PM

E55 AMG W211
Hi

Originally Posted by chaseb9
Hey guys! So I really want surge tanks for that 30whp or so you get but not really into paying $1200 for billet tanks. So I started teaching myself cad and Fusion 360 and I'm starting to design my own billet surge tanks and wanted to ask some questions when I finish the complete design.

It's very rough at the moment but I wanted to ask you guys if you'd like me to open source it so you guys can get your own tanks made. Obviously, you'd need a custom tune for it but I will be attempting it first on my own car.

This is what I have so far about 30 mins of work haha. This part is the gasket I reversed engineered into Fusion and will be fusing it together with a base plate I measured up to fit. It has recessed holes for bolts and I will be designing a top hat that will bolt up that's open to increase airflow into the supercharger. So a two-part design

👍
Old 08-28-2022, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Thought I would pull this thread up again and post here since it seems fitting. Took my stock tanks and cut off the elbows, cut out the bolt stand that is directly in the flow path and ported the inlets to mactch each side. Than took the elbows,welded up some extra material on the possible places that were to thin and then ported the hell out of them. The bend portion on the inlet from one to the other was dramatic and took a little time to get both inlets the same. Will be welding them back together in a couple days and let you guys know if there is any change that I can see.
The following 2 users liked this post by SICAMG:
nemiro (08-28-2022), pigeonkiller23 (09-29-2022)
Old 03-03-2023, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Thought I would pull this thread up again and post here since it seems fitting. Took my stock tanks and cut off the elbows, cut out the bolt stand that is directly in the flow path and ported the inlets to mactch each side. Than took the elbows,welded up some extra material on the possible places that were to thin and then ported the hell out of them. The bend portion on the inlet from one to the other was dramatic and took a little time to get both inlets the same. Will be welding them back together in a couple days and let you guys know if there is any change that I can see.
Anything?
Old 03-04-2023, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Oops forgot to follow up. Didnt really notice anything major but I have also been fighting boost loss on the top end so need to get that under wraps.

Last edited by SICAMG; 03-05-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:15 AM

E55 AMG W211
Originally Posted by SICAMG
do you have the result?show the photo