Sponsored by:

ESP fault every morning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 01:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 E550
ESP fault every morning

I've had several issues with this car but I have them pretty much sorted now, except that the last few days the first time I start it up and get out of the driveway the "ESP fault take to shop" error comes on and can only idle. I swap cars and get home at the end of the day and get in and it seems to work fine. Drove around for almost 2 hours yesterday turning off and on a few times with no issues. Tried to drive to work this morning and the ESP error came back up. With my generic scanner I got a P0444, p0505, and MAP sensor error on the first day; P0444, P0505, and TPS/throttle pedal error the next; yesterday only P0444 and P0505; and only P0444 this morning. Anyone have this issue before? It's very frustrating.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:18 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
anything throttle or brake related will fault ESP. i would look into this as soon as possible.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 01-13-2022, 01:45 AM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Yes, get yourself an MB scanner, budget-wise an iCarsoft MBII isn't terribly expensive, and pull the actual codes from the ECU and ESP modules. Could be throttle body, accelerator pedal etc etc.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:26 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Exclamation

I was 20 miles out from a 55 mile commute to my destination yesterday with cruise control set to 69 mph on a COLD (24 F) predawn morning with AAC set to defrost blowing full force when all of a sudden instrument cluster lit up all lights with a couple beeps like sound it makes when pushing 'reset' button for a couple seconds like keyfob in position 2 prior to startup, simultaneously CC disengaged & 'ESP inoperative - Visit Workshop' displayed. Foot pedal accelerator still worked so used it to maintain speed & get home. iCarsoft MBII scanner revealed multiple DTCs set in various control units, all showing 'Stored' & most related to CAN fault due to implausible values reported in N/73 & N/93. I will have a look with Star today to get full readouts of DTCs & report back but on return trip in evening to work, CC worked flawlessly & car performed admirably as usual for entire 55 miles. Researched this issue tonight, expecting these specters will soon return & based on what I've learned, 1st course of action will be to closely inspect ALL fuses & relays & grounding points following diagrams I found here: Fuse Box Diagram Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W211; 2003-2009) (fuse-box.info) & insure that all 4 tires are inflated to same level. If unable to locate any blown fuses or relays, 2nd course of action will be to closely inspect CGW & ESP modules for corrosion in case some water intrusion has occurred there. 3rd course of action will be to locate & inspect each wheel sensor & reluctor rings, also drive shaft reluctor ring.. My parking brake needs adjustment while I'm in there so I'll do that as well. Fingers crossed, this Florida car just didn't like the cold snap so showed it's *** but realistically I'm expecting these issues to return. At least it won't be this cold again for awhile.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:27 AM

2012 E550
Thanks for the info. I am in Florida too, but in Pensacola where we actually get couple seasons, and it's been since it started getting cold that this issue arose. The ESP error comes on within 30-60 seconds, and it seems that if I let it warm up to near operating temp, turn off and back on, the ESP error goes away and stays off for the rest of the day. Sometimes I hook my generic scanner up and there is throttle pedal error, sometimes there's not. It's strange. Not sure if there is something under the hood that doesn't like being cold for some reason. And by cold I'm talking highs in the 40's/50's and lows in the 20's/30's. I did think about looking at the wheel sensors and looking for debris or something blocking it.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
So my DTCs are as follows:
9135 Sensor 2 for fuel level sensor is jammed marked as 'stored' in instrument cluster control unit Fault memory
9114 Fault in CAN communication with control unit RCP roof control panel marked as 'stored' in instrument cluster control unit Event memory
9126 Fault in CAN communication with control unit Audio Gateway marked as 'CURRENT & Stored' in instrument cluster control unit Event memory
930E Synchronization of the DTC memory cannot be ensured marked as "current & stored in System Diagnosis control unit Fault memory
9031 The connection between N72/1 (Upper control panel control unit) and component M8 (UCP carrier open and close motor) is interrupted marked as 'Current & stored' in UCP control unit Fault memory
9023 Fault in CAN communication with control unit N70 (overhead control panel control unit) marked as 'stored' in UCP event memory
2138-004 Glow plug cylinder 6 check lines between cylinder 6 and N14/2 (glow output stage) marked as "current and stored' in CDI3_UP control unit Fault memory
2201-001 No or incorrect CAN message from control unit N73 (EIS[EZS] control unit) Timeout of chip with ID (ID111) or (ID240) marked as "stored' in CDI3_UP control unit Fault memory
2243-001 No or incorrect CAN message from control unit N93 (central gateway control unit) Timeout (ID410) marked as 'event stored' in CDI3_UP control unit Fault memory
2244-001 No or incorrect CAN message from control unit A1 (instrument cluster) Timeout (ID408) marked as 'event stored' in CDI3_UP control unit fault memory
2213-001 No or incorrect CAN message from control unit N80 (steering column module) Timeout (ID238) marked as 'event stored' in CDI3_UP control unit fault memory
P2314 One or more messages from control unit N93 (central gateway control unit) are not available on the CAN bus (CAN timeout fault) marked as 'event stored' in ETC control unit event memory
P2316 One or messages from control unit N19 (air conditioning control unit) are not available on the CAN bus (CAN timeout fault) marked as 'event stored' in ETC control unit event memory
P2315 One or more messages from control unit A1 (instrument cluster) are not available on the CAN bus (CAN timeout fault) marked as 'event stored' in ETC control unit event memory
P2001 The signal sent by control unit N93 (central gateway control unit) for the stop lamp status is not available on the CAN bus marked as 'event stored' in ESM control unit event memory
C125C This fault can be ignored and erased marked as 'stored in ESP control unit Fault memory
9003 Component E1e2 (left low beam) is faulty or the lead has open circuit marked as 'stored' in Dr-siide SAM control unit fault memory
9040 Component N10/1kO (fan relay module) is defective or not installed marked as 'stored' in Dr-side SAM control unit fault memory
9090 Fault in CAM communication with control unit OCP marked as 'event stored' in Dr-side SAM control unit event memory
9022 The actual value Terminal 15 supplied by control unit N73 (EIS[EZS] control unit) over the CAN is implausible marked as 'stored' in Rear SAM control unit fault memory
9054 Component E3e4 (Left stop lamp) is faulty or the line to the component has a short circuit or open circuit marked as 'stored' in Rear SAM control unit fault memory
9078 Communication with component H3 (alarm signal horn) is interrupted marked as 'current & stored' in rear sam control unit fault memory
90D0 Output 'Terminal 58d' is overloaded marked as 'stored' in OCP control unit fault memory
9068 SR is not normalized. If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check marked as 'stored' in OCP control unit fault memory
90A1 Communication error in serial communication interface to rear lamps and interior motion sensor; No response from component E11/1e1 (left rear reading lamp) marked as 'stored' in OCP fault memory
9091 Communication fault with component B38/2 (Rain/light sensor) No response from component B38/2 (rain/light sensor) marked as 'stored' in OCP control unit fault memory
9046 Component S93/3s2 (towing sensor switch) is defective. marked as 'stored' in OCP control unit fault memory
9001 The supply voltage of the control unit is too low (undervoltage) marked as 'stored' in OCP control unit event memory

My CAN faults indicate comm failures w/ everything but individually I can interrogate & purge all control unit faults & events then only 'current' ones return considerably less congestion on canbus i venture to guess but very confusing & frustrating to interpret meaning or troubleshoot paradoxical computer network quirks in a car.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:24 AM

2012 E550
So, I stumbled on a thread mentioning recalibrating the TPS to pedal and the steering angle sensor not being calibrated correct can effect ESP. I had the cornering headlight error as well, so figured I didn't do the recalibrating after a battery disconnect so decided to start there. Disconnected both batteries, pressed the brake pedal to completely discharge the system, reconnected the batteries, turned key on engine off for a couple minutes to let TPS calibrate, started car and turned wheel lock-to-lock 5 times, and did the windows. All errors went away and a test drive was successful. Drove the car this morning without issue, so problem solved. Just needed to do a proper reset, go figure.