W211 E55 dual-Xenon headlights replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 999 Likes on 777 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
W211 E55 dual-Xenon headlights replaced

Ordered a pair of dual-Xenon headlights from FCPEuro and installed them in my car a few days ago. Cost was $1269 for the Hellas. Just a few notes for others who intend to do the same.

The Hella headlights are new; inspection dates of from two and four months ago.

Light output on old headlights was very poor; reflector coating failing due to the heat of the Xenon bulbs and the lens covers were once again showing the effects of sunlight on them. The headlight lenses were buffed clear and covered with Xpel film in September of 2016.
Old light on passenger side; new light on driver's side.

Light output new light on driver's side; old light on passenger side.

Tips and notes:
Two of these clips per side; upper outboard, middle inboard. The lower outboard does not use one of these clips. Easy to misplace as you can see in the later photo of the left light middle inboard clip missing (I found it under the car)

Circles around mounting bolt locations:

Don't forget to transfer from the old to the new light the rear bracket to support the headlight washers. If you forget to move it, you'll have to pull the headlight back out to install the bracket. Yep, I did exactly that on the first light swap.

Instructions for removing and attaching the bumper are attached as a .pdf to this post. One of the trickier parts are the two sliding clamps (one per side) that clamp the bumper to the fender. Remove the 7mm rear screw and tap the clamp forward and inboard. The front slot will guide the clamp off. Be sure to clean as much dirt as possible from the fender and bumper where the clamp attaches. Do the same for the inside of the clamp as it is tight. I also used lubricant to help the clamp to slide over the two lips.

Final note: the connectors can be very, very difficult to remove. I used multiple sizes/bends of needle nose pliers and, in some cases used a flat tip screwdriver in conjunction with the pliers; the pliers to release the tab, and the flat tip screwdriver to pry the connector away enough to release the seal.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 02-07-2022 at 05:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
mbmg (02-08-2022), SleepersRock (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 04:22 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Thanks for sharing 👍🏻
I wonder what has higher light output, replacing the complete assembly VS upgrading the projectors to Morimoto, EVO ....etc
Old 02-08-2022, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
mgLipGD
Originally Posted by Solo wing
Thanks for sharing 👍🏻
I wonder what has higher light output, replacing the complete assembly VS upgrading the projectors to Morimoto, EVO ....etc

Here you go as I have all new lights I tore open to swap to the EVO projector. If you have older worn lights it’s even more of a upgrade.

Low beam
EVO/Osram CBB vs old worn

Low beam EVO/Osram CBB vs new OE

High beam EVO/Osram CBB vs new OE

One side is my G63 with LED vs E55 with EVO/Osram CBB which is barely a diff.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Today I went into the instrument cluster settings function and disabled the daytime running lights. I figured the constant heat from the Xenon bulbs was degrading the reflective coating on the reflectors.

Just go into settings, lights, headlamps, and change the setting from "constant on" to "manual". Now, rather than driving around with the Xenon lamps baking the reflectors, it will only occur when I turn on the headlights in the evening. If you cannot recognize "evening", just set the selector switch to "Auto" and the car will do it for you.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55AMG, Lexus ES350, Lexus LS460, AudiA6
Why can't you just swap out the glass lenses from the old housing with the new lenses from these projectors?
Old 01-31-2024, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by wpbmed
Why can't you just swap out the glass lenses from the old housing with the new lenses from these projectors?
It wasn't the lenses; it was the reflective coating on the parabolic(?) surfaces intended to reflect all of the light forward.
If you mean replacing the entire internal assembly (lenses plus reflective surface), I had no desire to disassemble the headlights. Always possible except then I may have to deal with deteriorated wiring plus I have no way to calibrate the active curve lighting motors. Easier and faster to just pull and replace since I can afford it.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55AMG, Lexus ES350, Lexus LS460, AudiA6
Took mine apart today, and see exactly what you mean about the wiring falling apart. All plastic insulation is brittle and now the wires are useless. Guess I'll be ordering the new ones posted above. I have the adaptive lens, are these the same? thanks
Old 01-31-2024, 11:04 PM

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
Are these adaptive units?
Old 02-01-2024, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
mgLipGD
Adaptive ones when I did mine in the photos above in 2021 were scarce. Look like though thr OP didn’t have the issue in 2022. However note many shop may indicate they have adaptive units but know they might not be when they arrive. I had to order 3-4 lights to get the last one I needed. Each vendor at the time was way to work with to return.

Good luck on the swap and if you feel extra froggy open up that new set like I did and drop in some Morimoto EVO projectors. Well worth the hassle to perform like LEDs.

You could also rewire the units you have and drop in the EVOs.