W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm tired of trying to make my family car to a racecar for the track...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3500 lbs is not light. Light is really sub 2800 lbs. I see modded Preludes and Civics that are much faster than the latest gen sports sedans from Japan. The key is the weight-to-tire ratio, not weight to hp. Traction is why a Spec-Miata will lap the same as a C5 in all but the straightest of road courses.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eclou
3500 lbs is not light. Light is really sub 2800 lbs. I see modded Preludes and Civics that are much faster than the latest gen sports sedans from Japan. The key is the weight-to-tire ratio, not weight to hp. Traction is why a Spec-Miata will lap the same as a C5 in all but the straightest of road courses.
The WRX STI is approximately 3100lbs, 300hp, AWD and has LSD. I would take the WRX STI over the Miata any day.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Z06 in enclosed trailer en route to south FL. Vararam induction, short throw shifter, lowering, headers to come shorlty. Cost of above mods with me installing...$1029 delivered. People with Vettes think they are charged a premium for upgrade parts. How about $2000 for E55 headers, what a ripoff. I don't want a project. I just want a car to drive on the street that will also do well at the track, that doesn't cost an arm or a leg to mod, and one whose mods are readily available.

No spec Miata will lap close to a 500 hp Z06 with some minor mods. I blow by Miatas in the E55 on the straights at Sebring like they're standing still.

Curb weight 2003 Z06 3115 lbs. Sorry some of you guys aren't Corvette fans, but I'll take the growl of a pushrod V8 over a riceburner any day.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:10 AM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Z06 in enclosed trailer en route to south FL. Vararam induction, short throw shifter, lowering, headers to come shorlty. Cost of above mods with me installing...$1029 delivered. People with Vettes think they are charged a premium for upgrade parts. How about $2000 for E55 headers, what a ripoff. I don't want a project. I just want a car to drive on the street that will also do well at the track, that doesn't cost an arm or a leg to mod, and one whose mods are readily available.

No spec Miata will lap close to a 500 hp Z06 with some minor mods. I blow by Miatas in the E55 on the straights at Sebring like they're standing still.

Curb weight 2003 Z06 3115 lbs. Sorry some of you guys aren't Corvette fans, but I'll take the growl of a pushrod V8 over a riceburner any day.
I agree but $30k for the WRX STI vs $45k for a Corvette something to think about especially if you are looking for a project car for the track.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:51 AM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW, there are some great performing "Rice burners," as how some people refer to it, that can compete or blow away pushrod V8s such as the corvettes. I believe we have a few members in this forum who such as a SupraTT (Marcus Frost) and Skyline GT-R.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:35 AM

W211 E55AMG
why the **ll you guys are pushing dr chill? his maded decision and Z06 is absolutely better package for road to track. i dont like ricers also. they are faster, they are less expensive, less weight etc, but, WHO CARES! :p they are ricers, thats all.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
BTW, there are some great performing "Rice burners," as how some people refer to it, that can compete or blow away pushrod V8s such as the corvettes. I believe we have a few members in this forum who such as a SupraTT (Marcus Frost) and Skyline GT-R.
OK, twin-turbo the Vette and see how you do: http://www.lingenfelter.com/performa...s1corvette.asp
Old 10-09-2004, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
The huge hp Supras and Skylines have huge single turbos that don't have nearly as much low end grunt as the supercharged or TT Vette. I have the option of stage 2 twin turbocharging the Vette for a total cost of approximately $10,500 installed with a 2 year motor warranty. That would bring the rwhp up to 600 with only 5 lbs of boost and torque at the wheels to 575. The turbos are capable of 800 rwhp but the stock engine internals are not strong enough to handle significantly higher boost. A stage 3 upgrade would require forged crank, pistons, rods, and lower compression (stock compression is 11:1). The problem with all that power is traction and if ou're putting out that much, it is hard to control it around the track. 500 rwhp in a 3100 lb car is much more tolerable for everyday use and occaional road course use.

By the way, the Vette was a steal at $38,000 financed at 0% interest over 6 years with zero out of pocket for delivery except paying exotic car transport for the shipping. That's why I opted not to wait for the 2006 Z06 which will have a hand built 500 hp V8 but will be built in limited quantities and stat at over $65,000. I can achieve the same numbers with heads, cam, tuning , headers, induction for less than $5000. Or a Magnacharger to up it to 600 hp for $6000 installed.

Yes, I use the term riceburner with disrespect. Some of the Japanese performance modified cars are awesome. But nothing can compare with the success of the C5R in competition for the last 4 years. New C5R big block 427 motors are readily available for purchase too at around $15,000.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:08 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Yes, I use the term riceburner with disrespect. Some of the Japanese performance modified cars are awesome. But nothing can compare with the success of the C5R in competition for the last 4 years. New C5R big block 427 motors are readily available for purchase too at around $15,000.
Chill,

That was a great deal you got on the corvette, congratulations. The term "riceburner" is not disrespectful and from all the threads you have been on, I've never found you to say anything disrespectful. However, Finnish 32's comments and use of the term "ricer," I find disrespectful because it gives the connotation of asians and their asian vehicles. It goes to show you that ignorance and the outward projection of prejudice still exist in this world. BTW, I am of asian descent so I do find the term "ricer" offensive.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:27 PM

Nice choice on the Z06, looking forward to the pics. Although I disagree with the Elise being called a "riceburner". I am not sure what the reputation of the Elise is in the States, but it arguably has the best chassis of any car, for a track car, there isn't much that comes close in terms of precision, agility and probably overall fun.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Toyota Celica engine=riceburner.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:18 PM

2003 E55,2005 Ferrari F430 Spider, 2005 Corvette 427 TT, 2005 Range Rover
Chill, if you put down 600 at the rear wheels on the stock bottom end you will lose piston parts after a while. TT is definitely the way to go if you don't mind spending the money. Lot better low end power than the centrifiguls. Don't waste money on headers or an intake if you are going this route though. Let me know who you are going to use before you do it. There are quite a few suspect tuners in the FI game. 600 RWHP on 5lbs seems high as well.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:09 PM

W211 E55AMG
Originally Posted by adx
Chill,

That was a great deal you got on the corvette, congratulations. The term "riceburner" is not disrespectful and from all the threads you have been on, I've never found you to say anything disrespectful. However, Finnish 32's comments and use of the term "ricer," I find disrespectful because it gives the connotation of asians and their asian vehicles. It goes to show you that ignorance and the outward projection of prejudice still exist in this world. BTW, I am of asian descent so I do find the term "ricer" offensive.

Although the use of the offensive term, I don't have anything against you or asian people in general. I'm just not fond of the asian manufactured cars. I find the european cars much more interesting and they tend to have a better feel to my liking.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Originally Posted by Blocktrader
Chill, if you put down 600 at the rear wheels on the stock bottom end you will lose piston parts after a while. TT is definitely the way to go if you don't mind spending the money. Lot better low end power than the centrifiguls. Don't waste money on headers or an intake if you are going this route though. Let me know who you are going to use before you do it. There are quite a few suspect tuners in the FI game. 600 RWHP on 5lbs seems high as well.

Don't plan on forced induction due to costs. For now, a Vararam intake and long tube headers with x pipe and no cats is in the near future. Then, maybe a cam and heads in a year or so..

The car arrived today, and it's f--ckin' awesome.