Sponsored by:

I got busted!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got busted!!

AH! I'm so pissed. Yesterday I'm driving along minding my own business and I come up to a light. Some stupid motorcycle cop is making a right from the street to my left and happens to notice that I don't have a front plate (this isn't legal in California). Then, as he's driving behind me to turn around and pull me over, he glances in my window and sees that the front windows are tinted. He pulled me over (and actually was really nice) and gave me 2 fix it tickets - the plate and the windows. I was able to convince him that the dealer simply neglected to put a front plate mount on my car (while there are still 4 holes on my bumper from where the mount was) but I still have to go to a CHP office and get my ticket signed by an inspector who will verify that I removed my tint and put a front plate on my car. I dont really care about the front plate but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anybody has any tips on how to get out of removing my tint PLEASE share. Its costly and a hassle and my car just isnt the same without it. Any help?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
sorry to hear about your misfortune. I live in northern california and I don't have a front plate on my car either. I hope i won't get busted for a while but que sera, sera.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320
You can just pay the fine and not remove the tint. Probably costs less to just pay the fine (although I haven't seen what the fine is up to lately) than to pay to have your tint removed, go down and get the fix it ticket signed, pay the $10 processing fee and then go pay to have your windows retinted.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I can just pay a fine and leave my windows tinted? I don't get that. Whats illegal is illegal, I don't understand how I can just pay to get away with a crime. If, however, this is in fact true, I'm definitely doing that. My only question is can I say to the inspector "Well here's my front plate, but I'm not going to take off the tint so where do I pay?" I mean, then I'll have it on my record and all that stuff and it cant simply be dismissed, right? Anyway, thanks for the tip.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
I have had many tint tickets, the most recent of which I took care of only 6 weeks ago. Whoever said you dont have to pull your tint is talking out of their a$$. You cannot get away with it unless you have a friend at the Highway Patrol Station who will sign the ticket as a favor without inspecting your car. They will not sign your ticket unless all the violations that you were cited for have been corrected and the officer has seen the corrections with their own eyes. And you cant take the ticket to court and pay your fees and get the case closed if the ticket is not signed by an inspecting officer first. Pull the tint, get the ticket signed, pay your fee and re-tint your car. Good luck.

Last edited by VelocitE55; 10-11-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Figures, I've never heard of getting rid of a ticket by paying a fine. Thanks velicote55, I guess I'm all outta luck.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
i live in socal and i just paid 120 last week form my tint ticket........you don't have to take it off, but you'll have to pay the fine....if you take it off , you need to get it writin off by a cop, chp and pay 10 bucks
Old 10-11-2004, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by alexbenz
i live in socal and i just paid 120 last week form my tint ticket........you don't have to take it off, but you'll have to pay the fine....if you take it off , you need to get it writin off by a cop, chp and pay 10 bucks

if the cops checks correctable then your okay to just pay the fine.....
Old 10-11-2004, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Im lucky i got cop friends. They just sign the ticket and i dont have to take my tint off and just pay $10
Old 10-11-2004, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
shut up mike, where were you when i needed a write off?????
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by alexbenz
shut up mike, where were you when i needed a write off?????
lol. They can only do mine sorry
Old 10-11-2004, 03:48 AM
nRo

2005 C230K SS
forge the signature....
Old 10-11-2004, 10:12 AM

E320
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
So I can just pay a fine and leave my windows tinted? I don't get that. Whats illegal is illegal, I don't understand how I can just pay to get away with a crime. If, however, this is in fact true, I'm definitely doing that. My only question is can I say to the inspector "Well here's my front plate, but I'm not going to take off the tint so where do I pay?" I mean, then I'll have it on my record and all that stuff and it cant simply be dismissed, right? Anyway, thanks for the tip.

First time is $70 (I think). They catch you the next time and cite you for the same tint, the fine doubles, then triples, so on and so forth, but you get to keep your tint. You get the hint... they get more money the more they catch you.

Having film in your front windows is NOT A CRIME. It's all about legalized daylight robbery, err I mean CITY REVENUE and JOB SECURITY for government employees.

Use 3M automotive grade (gray) double-stick tape for your front plates.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
First time is $70 (I think). They catch you the next time and cite you for the same tint, the fine doubles, then triples, so on and so forth, but you get to keep your tint. You get the hint... they get more money the more they catch you.
not true, at least not in southern cali.......fine stays the same amount unless i heard they make it uncorrectable on the citation.......
Old 10-11-2004, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, so aries, when I take my car down to show the inspecting officer the front plate, I say ok, here's my plate but I'll pay for the tint. How do I know that he won't say "Well youre off for the plate but you didnt remove the tint so pay this fine and then come back in a week and show me that its been removed. If it hasnt been removed or if you dont return you will get another fine."?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:44 AM

Uber 202
I got popped twice for my tint in LA. I just peeled the tint both times. If you take your car to any CHP office it is free for them to sign off a ticket. If you goto a local PD or Sheriff they charge $10 or $15. I peeled my tint for free, still had the glue on windows, took my car to get signed off (do not lower your windows if the glue is still on), then got new tint put on again for $50. For that post saying to forge the signature, forging a fake name isnt the hard part, you would have to replicate some kind of stamp also.