Sponsored by:

Quick Release Steering Wheel??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Quick Release Steering Wheel??

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of people with quick release steering wheels on the e55 amg. Was trying to do something different with it and just love the idea of being able to take the steering wheel off, also considering how big the wheel is as well. Another thing i was thinking about was if you have put a quick release on how did you rewire the wheel buttons and and paddles. I've seen dapper drift who had the paddles mounted on the steering wheel but not the buttons. He also said he had his quick release adapter custom made for the e55 and i havent found any online besides some on ebay and amazon but very skeptical about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Schultz.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
If you do find out anything about this and how to add paddle shifters to the aftermarket wheel. Please post an update.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Paddle Shifters on aftermarket wheel

the only person ive seen with an aftermarket steering wheel close to a quick release was dapperdrift from FCPeuro. he had a custom milled adaptor for his wheel and also made welded slots on the wheel for the paddles. If you go on instagram and look at Dapper_drift and scroll you will eventually find the steering wheel and how he has the paddles. But i have yet to see anyone with a quick release steering wheel for a e55 let alone a w211
Old 04-10-2022, 06:54 AM

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
Adding paddles should be as easy as connecting the paddles to the responding wires which go to the steering column connector. Same would go for the steering wheel control buttons. Gotta check which wire colour does what, looking at WIS electrical wiring diagrams.

As for the mechanical mounting of a different steering wheel, I have no idea and I think it hasn't been done, because it makes pretty much no sense on a 4 door seadan with easy entry to fiddle a quick release steering wheel on. If you somehow still really want it, for the sole purpose of being different, I guess you'll have to build an adapter. You could take an old W211 steering wheel and cut out the mounting base and fit the quick adapter base onto it.

I highly advise against this though, cause you lose the airbag and I have no idea how safe it would be.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzSchultz
the only person ive seen with an aftermarket steering wheel close to a quick release was dapperdrift from FCPeuro. he had a custom milled adaptor for his wheel and also made welded slots on the wheel for the paddles. If you go on instagram and look at Dapper_drift and scroll you will eventually find the steering wheel and how he has the paddles. But i have yet to see anyone with a quick release steering wheel for a e55 let alone a w211
Ah yes. I forgot he did that. He has a thread here about his car. He also did the drift brake lever inside the car.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 351 Likes on 302 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
That car is right down the street from me just sitting in FCP Euro's parking lot.