Sponsored by:

E55 sputtering and smells bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Unhappy E55 sputtering and smells bad

Hey! i joined the forum because i really need help with my W211 E55. Its a 2003 E55 amg. It recently stoped responding when i gave it some gas. When i start the engine it runs normal with an idle at around 800rpm. I drive off and after about a minute it starts shaking and sputtering. It responds on the throttle but feels like its dying when i let of the gas. If i pull over and put the car i neutral/park it runs at about 2500rpm at idle. If i turn the engine off and start it again it runs on normal idle mostly but as soon as i drive off it starts again. The exhausts also smell bad, it smells like burnt clutch but its coming from the exhaust. Its not really smoking alot. It has never overheated so im unsure if it would be a headgasket. My first though was a serious vacuum leak so i've checked all hoses but due to the weird exhaust smell i doubt its a vacuum leak. There's no check engine light. Could be a missfire? it responds fine when i give it gas but i can't have an even speed, then it sputters and rides really rough. Haven't checked any codes yet but im worried. This came shortly after i had a leak in my exhaust manifold. The manifold is fixed but i did remove the ignition coils etc to be able to reach the manifold. Ive checked so the wires sits snug on the sparkplugs etc. Thinking if someone has had the same issue.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:15 AM

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
What is your fuel pressure when driving?
Old 04-16-2022, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by UncleBenz55
What is your fuel pressure when driving?
Haven’t checked yet but i think I have a clue, this issue started right after i fixed my leaking exhaust manifold. Maybe an o2 sensor I’ll check a bit more once im off work but i think it has something to do from the manifold leak. I got bad engine mounts and it broke the clamp holding the exhaust and the manifold together, i got it fixed but since then the engine runs horrible.