W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a turbo timer for our cars...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Thoughts on a turbo timer for our cars...

I was tinkin about it and after driving your car hard for a lil while I'm sure you wouldn't mind lettin your engine cool off by lettin it run for a minute or two after you get to yer destination. I was thinkin of addin a turbo timer so I can let the car run for about a minute or two to sort of "cool down" the engine? Do you guys think this will work? Good idea or a WTF are you thinkin idea?
Old 09-30-2004, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4
not sure if its the same w/supercharger; I use my cell phone's timer and set it for 1min. 30 sec before I shutdown my S4
Old 09-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by moa4r
not sure if its the same w/supercharger; I use my cell phone's timer and set it for 1min. 30 sec before I shutdown my S4
But the thing I'm trying to get at is that I want to be able to turn off the car and go do my thing while the turbo timer keeps the car on for however minutes I program it too. I don't want to have to sit there and wait for my car to "cool down" and then leave.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:08 PM

2003 E55 AMG, 2005 Range Rover + a few others
Its not necessary on that engine.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
But the thing I'm trying to get at is that I want to be able to turn off the car and go do my thing while the turbo timer keeps the car on for however minutes I program it too. I don't want to have to sit there and wait for my car to "cool down" and then leave.
so how does the turbo timer work exactly?? please explain...is this something u connect to the engine?? sorry for my ignorance
Old 10-01-2004, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
BenzoBoi,

Your intentions are well founded, but the fact is with today's synthetic oils and the fact that a supercharger doesn't work off exhaust gases (like a turbo) - a turbo timer is absolutely useless. Even on turbocharged cars it's useless. My 1000bhp Turbo Supra does not have a turbo timer, and will never have one.

A turbo timer basically keeps an engine idling for a preset interval after you've shut off the car and removed the key (and to be honest, I don't think you'd be able to get a turbo timer to work with a Mercedes ignition system). The "purpose" is to keep the oil and water pumps going to circulate the hot oil and coolant a bit longer before shutting them off, specifically to prevent oil from "caking" on the hot surfaces of the turbocharger.

However, today's synthetic oils don't cake at the temperatures a turbocharger sees, and honestly you circulate enough oil in the 60 seconds it takes to park your car to assure none of the hot oil gets stuck in the oil passages of the turbo. If you really want to be ****, just keep the revs below 3000rpm for 2 minutes before you park... you probably do that anyway unless you are redlining gears going down the residential street to your house or wherever you are headed... which if that's the case, you have other problems...

-m
Old 10-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
BenzoBoi,

Your intentions are well founded, but the fact is with today's synthetic oils and the fact that a supercharger doesn't work off exhaust gases (like a turbo) - a turbo timer is absolutely useless. Even on turbocharged cars it's useless. My 1000bhp Turbo Supra does not have a turbo timer, and will never have one.

A turbo timer basically keeps an engine idling for a preset interval after you've shut off the car and removed the key (and to be honest, I don't think you'd be able to get a turbo timer to work with a Mercedes ignition system). The "purpose" is to keep the oil and water pumps going to circulate the hot oil and coolant a bit longer before shutting them off, specifically to prevent oil from "caking" on the hot surfaces of the turbocharger.

However, today's synthetic oils don't cake at the temperatures a turbocharger sees, and honestly you circulate enough oil in the 60 seconds it takes to park your car to assure none of the hot oil gets stuck in the oil passages of the turbo. If you really want to be ****, just keep the revs below 3000rpm for 2 minutes before you park... you probably do that anyway unless you are redlining gears going down the residential street to your house or wherever you are headed... which if that's the case, you have other problems...

-m
Hey Marcus, thanks for the write up. Explains alot.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:37 AM

Yup! Best thing to do is let your car "BREATHE" down with the cooler air while just "crusing around." Leaving your car just parked running isn't the most efficient way to cool down your car. In addition, it will cool down your brakes as well.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
If you’re interested in protecting the engine you should look at a prelubing system. If the car is parked for extended periods or you plan on keeping it forever a preluber will avoid the dry start which is responsible for most of the engine wear. Some of them even have a turbo timer feature that works on its own pump so the engine doesn’t have to running.