W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Would it be a good buy E55 amg rebuilt motor 14k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2022 | 03:26 AM

2005 CLK55 amg
Would it be a good buy E55 amg rebuilt motor 14k

I have found to be a good car I think it’s a 2004 Mercedes e55 amg that has 150k miles but the car was in a pretty mild accident that gave it a rebuilt salvage title but it was fixed. The guy said he did a complete engine rebuild on the car at 128k miles and he sent pictures and showed proof

while saying he was a Mercedes’ technician and rebuilt the motor himself. He sent the pictures of the accident and the motor rebuild with recipes. If the car checks out from a PPI and he’s a straight shooter would it be a good car ? He asking 14k which seems fair, I just don’t want to get stuck with a money pit but I know it’s a aged German car so I’m not surprised with the average repairs and I can do most the work myself

Last edited by Jdmandeuroblood; 09-07-2022 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2022 | 05:15 PM

2005 E55 AMG, 2007 E550, 83 380SL and Many Jaguars
If the car is a keeper, and the engine was truly rebuilt then I don't think the title is a big deal! But that is dependent on a lot of things.

Maybe a simple compression test would show the engine is nearly as good as a 30k Mile engine would be considering it was rebuilt a little while ago.

If you want to sell in 6 months to a year I don't think it would increase value. But could be a perfect car for long term
Old 09-07-2022 | 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
@Jdmandeuroblood These car are pretty amazing when it is all works the way it was designed to perform. But, for that to happen maintenance and repairs must be religiously dealt with. On any car that is nearly 20 years old some, if not alot of issues have not been maintained. On many cars that will be costly but for this car more, sometime lots more cost to deal with. If you can not do the work yourself then the purchase price is just the starting point of the bank account drain. So, while the engine may be fresh the rest of the car also must be looked at just as carefully as there are many other systems on the car. All of those systems are stand alone computer controlled and networked together throughout the car. There are pobably about 30 stand alone controllers (small computers). To work on the car you should invest in the MB Star system which is the computer tool to scan and interrogate the systems when work/repairs are involved.

Some of the systems that need replacement and/or repairs are the air-matic suspension. Interior issues with the front dynamic seats are typically in need of a full rebuild of the air bladders. Sunroofs and panoroofs often need work to open and close properly. Rear window shade needs work/replacement. The SBC brakes - brake by wire, may need repalcement - depending on where you are located some of this may be covered by MB. The heat and a/c system can have issues with moving the air from the upper air outlets to the floor and such. A/C compressor replacement with all the associated addional parts and work are not unusal. Cloudy headlight lens require replacement or work. Suspensions - most in not all needs attention.

There are several members here that are doing just that. Do a search here and read through all that they have worked on and in some cases the costs. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 09-07-2022 | 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Rebuilt title car, 150k miles worth $7-10k.
The following users liked this post:
C_Note (09-08-2022)
Old 09-07-2022 | 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
If it's rebuilt properly, then it's a good drivers car. Won't ever be worth much, but if it was done correctly you can drive it guilt-free the rest of its life. Beat it like a red-headed stepchild and enjoy it without worry about hurting its value.
Old 09-08-2022 | 01:53 AM

05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
bro, like honestly. like im looking out for a new guy....hell no man. no. nope. you can find a clean sorted car with a clean title for 14K easily.
The following 3 users liked this post by M5 LOL:
C_Note (09-08-2022), E55Greasemonkey (09-08-2022), hyperion667 (09-09-2022)
Old 09-08-2022 | 05:39 AM

2005 e55
STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH A REBUILT TITLE! Rebuilding the engine for a refresh is different than building the engine in a damaged vehicle!! Stay far away and get a clean E55 if that’s what you want. Start with the cleanest, most kept vehicle you can for the money you have to spend!

STAY AWAY!! Especially for 14k. Honestly6-8k is all it’s worth imo. FB has nice cars on sale for 7-20k. Running cars with no previous major damage. Good luck
E55Greasemonkey (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022 | 05:40 AM

04 E55
Only in the US does having a car have a listed accident matter so much to people. If a car has been correctly repaired from a minor impact, why does it matter?

In regards to this particular vehicle, it's probably more worthwhile to find a cheaper vehicle, as these engines are stout and the miles don't bother them too much.
Old 09-08-2022 | 05:43 AM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by sexyxe
Only in the US does having a car have a listed accident matter so much to people. If a car has been correctly repaired from a minor impact, why does it matter?

In regards to this particular vehicle, it's probably more worthwhile to find a cheaper vehicle, as these engines are stout and the miles don't bother them too much.
14k for a previously wrecked car, an E55, is a LOT!! I don’t know what country you’re from, but 14k can get you a nice car/toy that HASN’T been wrecked and DOESN’T have a rebuilt title!
E55Greasemonkey (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022 | 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 e450 cabriolet, 2015 s550, 2024 c300 , 2006 E55, 2005 e320, 2007 gl450, 2014 e63
I’m in cali long time member looking to sell my Cls55 clean title properly modded on forged hre’s full maintence records for 17k if interested pm me
Old 09-08-2022 | 07:31 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by C_Note
14k for a previously wrecked car, an E55, is a LOT!! I don’t know what country you’re from, but 14k can get you a nice car/toy that HASN’T been wrecked and DOESN’T have a rebuilt title!
I'm pretty clearly from Australia if you're on a PC you'd see that or click on my user name on mobile you'd work that one out pretty quick.

My point was US cares an unbelievably large amount about a car that might have had some panel damage and then they just **** can the vehicle. 14k doesn't buy you **** here.

I dont know the specifics of this car, but to say its been 'wrecked' when it might be minor damage, is nuts. If these cars are only worth 10k, bumpers either end, a bonnet, boot lid and lights would see the car financially ruined. Yet it would be perfectly fine to anyone with an iota of sense that a 'destroyed' car is not what it was.
Old 09-08-2022 | 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C_Note
STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH A REBUILT TITLE! Rebuilding the engine for a refresh is different than building the engine in a damaged vehicle!! Stay far away and get a clean E55 if that’s what you want. Start with the cleanest, most kept vehicle you can for the money you have to spend!

STAY AWAY!! Especially for 14k. Honestly6-8k is all it’s worth imo. FB has nice cars on sale for 7-20k. Running cars with no previous major damage. Good luck
I can't agree with this at all. It depends entirely on 3 things:

1. What was it totaled for? Flood? 60mph front end collision with a tree? Or a minor accident but the car is 10 years old so due to it's depreciation it gets totaled?

2. How was it repaired? Can you see before/after pics? Can you have it thoroughly inspected to make sure it was repaired properly?

3. How much are you paying? A rebuilt car is never worth what a clean-title car is worth, except for maybe in extreme circumstances.

My 2005 E55 Wagon has a rebuilt title. I was able to find pics of the damage before. I could find no proof the car was crashed when I inspected it. I had it inspected by an independent mechanic and they couldn't find any evidence it was ever crashed either. Still has factory original paint and panels except front bumper. The asking price was about half of what clean-title wagons were selling for. I've loved it for almost 5 years now and I likely won't ever sell it. I get to daily a rare collectible without remorse.
Old 09-08-2022 | 10:50 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by Sulaco
I can't agree with this at all. It depends entirely on 3 things:

1. What was it totaled for? Flood? 60mph front end collision with a tree? Or a minor accident but the car is 10 years old so due to it's depreciation it gets totaled?

2. How was it repaired? Can you see before/after pics? Can you have it thoroughly inspected to make sure it was repaired properly?

3. How much are you paying? A rebuilt car is never worth what a clean-title car is worth, except for maybe in extreme circumstances.

My 2005 E55 Wagon has a rebuilt title. I was able to find pics of the damage before. I could find no proof the car was crashed when I inspected it. I had it inspected by an independent mechanic and they couldn't find any evidence it was ever crashed either. Still has factory original paint and panels except front bumper. The asking price was about half of what clean-title wagons were selling for. I've loved it for almost 5 years now and I likely won't ever sell it. I get to daily a rare collectible without remorse.
why pay 14k for a car that has already been given a salvage title? You might as well call this a lifer, cuz most ppl aren’t paying near that much for rebuilt title E55.You sure ain’t tradn that in at Carmax…

Your wagon was half the price BECAUSE of the title! There is no way I’d give that kind of money for ANY car with a rebuilt title! You’re happy with what you have and it might be a better deal being a wagon. As long as you like it, that’s really all that matters

Ibwould save my money and get a clean car/title. A couple more k and you can get something nice.
Old 09-08-2022 | 10:58 PM

2005 e55
I'm pretty clearly from Australia if you're on a PC you'd see that or click on my user name on mobile you'd work that one out pretty quick.

My point was US cares an unbelievably large amount about a car that might have had some panel damage and then they just **** can the vehicle. 14k doesn't buy you **** here.

I dont know the specifics of this car, but to say its been 'wrecked' when it might be minor damage, is nuts. If these cars are only worth 10k, bumpers either end, a bonnet, boot lid and lights would see the car financially ruined. Yet it would be perfectly fine to anyone with an iota of sense that a 'destroyed' car is not what it was.

This ain’t Australia… 14k will buy a lot here. It has a rebuilt salvage title. How smart would it be to pay clean title car money for a rebuilt title car? I’m pretty sure no one will finance that so I’m guessing he’s paying cash… huge no go for me

Even if all the damage was fixed, the title won’t be. That’s a lot of money to pay for a car that doesn’t have a clean title. There are WWWWAAAAAYYYYY too many cars for sale to settle for something like that imo.
Old 09-08-2022 | 11:45 PM

E55
Lol at the guy being condescending and defending the decision to spend $14k on a rebuilt title 150k mile E55. Like all the others have said in this thread, $14k will get you a decent condition 150k mile E55 with a CLEAN title. Meaning no accident bad enough for an insurance company to total it. OP, if you’re interested at that price range, go to fb marketplace in houston. There’s an E55 with 150k miles asking $14k that been for sale for a while now. You can probably talk him down some.
M5 LOL (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022 | 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
This isn't hard. That price is in line with private sale value with a non-branded title. Lots of clean title cars have been in accidents. The problem is not the accident. It's the title. To me, branded title is an automatic 50% price reduction unless there is a damn good reason to pay more.
E55Greasemonkey (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022 | 07:42 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63

Gday

There are SO many shady people trying to pull one over on others here, as there are in other parts of the world. Just because the engine was rebuilt/refreshed doesn't mean the car won't have a SLEW of other mechanical/electrical issues pop up in the near future. The advice given is wise. Keep shopping as there are many out there, and given time, a better example can be found
Old 09-09-2022 | 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My wires got crossed and thought OP was from Australia, meaning for 14k all he can find is a rebuilt title with that budget. But if OP is in the states, then clearly 14k is silly money for a rebuilt title sedan. So yeah, I'd be arguing 7-8k for that one. 14k can still buy you a super clean one with clean title and healthy, original engine.

What scares me more is the rebuilt motor. An improperly rebuilt body panel can be redone at your discretion later. But an improperly rebuilt motor is a timebomb I don't want to be stuck with.