Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55
Check Engine light

Hello,

I have an 02 E55 and the check engine light came on this morning. No malfunctions, Oil change done 4800 miles ago. When I measured the oil it did come back with "Reduce! Oil Level" What is this suppose to mean? Could it be the low oil causing it to flash the check engine light? Car runs smooth and starts normal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Z
Old 10-13-2004, 10:24 AM

too many to list
Very possible that there is no a sufficient level of oil to clear the malfunction. It is also possible that you have a small leak. If its still under warranty take it to the dealer, if not take it to a European/German trustworthy garage.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:50 AM

02 E55
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if its an oil leak because I don't see any oil spots in the garage. This is really upsetting.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Did you measure your oil level when the engine is hot or after running it for couple minutes? If so, "REDUCE OIL LEVEL" message may be due to oil level increase from engine parts' movements. I don't think the oil causes the check engine light to come on, though.

If I were you, I would bring it to the dealer.... a lot of things could cause the engine light to come on.... if there is no malfunction message, doesn't mean nothing's wrong with your engine (check the owner's manual.... the computer only checks certain parts of the engine that are very likely to be worn / broken). I would guess your exhaust system (i.e. catalytic converter) may have failed. It happened to my old MB (check engine was on due to this). Hope not.... it would be very expensive.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2004, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Check that your gas cap is on correctly. It will cause the CEL if not screwed on right, plus it will burp gas all over the side of your car. You would probably smell gas when you parked in your garage.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:02 AM

02 E55
Thanks for all the help. Check engine light is gone now. Oil measures normal. After work when I started the car the check engine light was not on. Don't know what caused this light to illuminate in the morning. Anyhow there is no light now. Don't know if I should keep on driving or if I should take it to the local dealer. The car is under warranty but taking it to the dealer is a pain since they ask you to leave the car with them. I'll keep on driving and if it comes back on again i'll take it in.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Z