W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Question / Issue - Which to use? How much?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG, sedan
Coolant Question / Issue - Which to use? How much?

Hello all!
I had to replace my thermostat as it was stuck in the open position (one step better than stuck in the closed position!). I did the replacement and now I am attempting to refill the coolant I lost and thereafter bleed the system. I lost a fair amount of coolant in the process, and frankly I don't know how much.
I bought my thermostat kit from FCP Euro that included a bottle of Merc. recommended/verified coolant (Link: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...des-1562030475).
I know that last time my E63 was in for a service at my independent shop they topped my reservoir tank off with "Anti-Freeze GO-5" to which I assume is Valvoline Zerex G-05.

My questions are: (1) Should I use the Merc. recommended fluid (after diluting) to again, top off my tank. or (2) should I attempt to use the same coolant as used by my servicing independent shop? (3) Something else? and finally, (4) How do I know how much coolant my tank needs? This seems like a surprisingly simple question but I have not found a good answer. Just fill to the seam in the reservoir tank?

Thank you in advance!
Old 11-22-2022, 12:07 PM

Received 236 Likes on 197 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by GR_E63
Hello all!
I had to replace my thermostat as it was stuck in the open position (one step better than stuck in the closed position!). I did the replacement and now I am attempting to refill the coolant I lost and thereafter bleed the system. I lost a fair amount of coolant in the process, and frankly I don't know how much.
I bought my thermostat kit from FCP Euro that included a bottle of Merc. recommended/verified coolant (Link: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...des-1562030475).
I know that last time my E63 was in for a service at my independent shop they topped my reservoir tank off with "Anti-Freeze GO-5" to which I assume is Valvoline Zerex G-05.

My questions are: (1) Should I use the Merc. recommended fluid (after diluting) to again, top off my tank. or (2) should I attempt to use the same coolant as used by my servicing independent shop? (3) Something else? and finally, (4) How do I know how much coolant my tank needs? This seems like a surprisingly simple question but I have not found a good answer. Just fill to the seam in the reservoir tank?

Thank you in advance!
The Valvoline product is the same, just not any color in it. It is approved on the MB list of coolants. Buy it at Walmart and save a bunch over the MB branded product.

The following users liked this post:
GR_E63 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,925 Likes on 3,091 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Go to the operating fluids website. It takes some patience, an patience will be rewarded.

Fill to full and let the system burp a few times. Distilled water in small quantities is an acceptable crutch.
The following users liked this post:
GR_E63 (11-22-2022)