Looking For Drivers Seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55
Looking For Drivers Seat

Hi ,

I have a 2005 E 55 and the drivers seat bottom has tears and rips. I'm hoping to get some leads on a decent drivers seat in black.

I'm based in NYC, hoping someone has one they don't need.

Thanks,

Ade
05 E 55
Old 11-24-2022, 12:19 PM

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts
W221 S63 AMG
I replaced the bladders in both front seats and I had to disassemble them to do so.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-my-seats.html

Maybe consider buying a passenger seat and installing it. They are easier to find and will be in better condition when found. I'm 99% sure that the seat covers and bolsters from both sides are identical and symmetrical. I think one of the major differences is that the passenger seat has an occupancy weight sensor (to activate the airbag or not based on weight). But, if you are putting a passenger seat on the driver side, just ignore that module. The easiest way is to simply go outside and look at your seats from all angles. You'll notice the extra wiring harness for that sensor.

Also, if you find a passenger seat, you'll need to swap over the plastic base at the bottom.

I know this isn't ideal, but these cars are nearly 20 years old. So finding a driver's seat in good condition may be difficult.
The following users liked this post:
Adesola (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 12:21 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Here is the relevant post:

Originally Posted by CQHall
Thanks!

Today I pulled the passenger seat out first and started with the cushion to see if I could transfer it to the driver side.

Whelp, while I think it will work, it’s equipped with what I think is the weight sensor for kids (to tell it whether or not to deploy the airbag). So there is another wiring harness in there with lots of sensors. I’m not depinning and pulling all of that out to swap it. If I had a donor E55 passenger seat, it would work because I’d simply tuck the harness and not use it. Oh well.

I got the passenger thigh bladder in. On to the back and sides.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:24 PM

W221 S63 AMG
I'm guessing that you don't have to disassemble everything to get a passenger seat to work on the driver's side. Just the plastic base at the bottom.

I was disassembling above because I had to get to the thigh bladder inside.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:31 PM

05 E55
I was wondering if the passenger seat would work. This is a huge help since passenger seats are far easier to find!!

I can't thank you enough. I'm going to source a passenger seat and I'll post some pics before and after.

CQHall (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 01:34 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by CQHall
I replaced the bladders in both front seats and I had to disassemble them to do so.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-my-seats.html

Maybe consider buying a passenger seat and installing it. They are easier to find and will be in better condition when found. I'm 99% sure that the seat covers and bolsters from both sides are identical and symmetrical. I think one of the major differences is that the passenger seat has an occupancy weight sensor (to activate the airbag or not based on weight). But, if you are putting a passenger seat on the driver side, just ignore that module. The easiest way is to simply go outside and look at your seats from all angles. You'll notice the extra wiring harness for that sensor.

Also, if you find a passenger seat, you'll need to swap over the plastic base at the bottom.

I know this isn't ideal, but these cars are nearly 20 years old. So finding a driver's seat in good condition may be difficult.
Thanks much for this, this should solve the problem.

I'm going to get on eBay and do some searching. You made my day

Thanks,

Ade
CQHall (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 05:05 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Let us know how it goes! It will help out a lot of people in the same situation who are keeping these older cars alive.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
95 SL600
Almost positive the seat bottoms are side specific.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:48 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by cdk4219
Almost positive the seat bottoms are side specific.
Ahh ok! Ill going to check w MB Parts usb to be sure.

Thanks,

Ade