Help: Replacing all air bladders in my seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 01:43 PM

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts
W221 S63 AMG
Question Help: Replacing all air bladders in my seats

Hi, all.

Several of the air bladders in my seats were not responding as expected. While some worked, others didn't. I figured that after nearly 20 years, they had served the car well and were due to be replaced, so I went ahead an ordered a complete set of OEM bladders for both front seats.

I'm looking for tips (or full-on instructions) on the best way to go about replacing these in our cars. If this has been discussed here before, please post a link to that discussion. I'd rather follow a guide than simply pull and tug until something happens...or breaks.

I'm trying to figure out if I can replace these with the seats in place, or if it's simply easier to pull the heavy *** seats out and put them on a work bench. This is my project car, so it's not a problem for it to be down for a while.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Definitely following this thread. Sorry OP, I have nothing to add.

R.K.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:31 PM

Received 239 Likes on 200 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by CQHall
Hi, all.

Several of the air bladders in my seats were not responding as expected. While some worked, others didn't. I figured that after nearly 20 years, they had served the car well and were due to be replaced, so I went ahead an ordered a complete set of OEM bladders for both front seats.

I'm looking for tips (or full-on instructions) on the best way to go about replacing these in our cars. If this has been discussed here before, please post a link to that discussion. I'd rather follow a guide than simply pull and tug until something happens...or breaks.

I'm trying to figure out if I can replace these with the seats in place, or if it's simply easier to pull the heavy *** seats out and put them on a work bench. This is my project car, so it's not a problem for it to be down for a while.

Any help will be appreciated.
If you haven't done an Advanced Search that should be your first step? Lots of threads here over the years. You Tube has vids but mostly on other models. Look for those that are similar years. I think there is one or two on the S class.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:32 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by machild
If you haven't done an Advanced Search that should be your first step? Lots of threads here over the years. You Tube has vids but mostly on other models. Look for those that are similar years. I think there is one or two on the S class.
I’ve been a member here for quite a while and I’ve searched. Spotty info here and there. I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen the YT videos that you have in mind. But, they are of many different models and the hosts all use different approaches for different reasons. Being that W211 AMGs are fairly popular, I hoped that it had been covered long ago and I’m missing it somehow.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:02 PM

I’ve been a member here for quite a while and I’ve searched. Spotty info here and there. I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen the YT videos that you have in mind. But, they are of many different models and the hosts all use different approaches for different reasons. Being that W211 AMGs are fairly popular, I hoped that it had been covered long ago and I’m missing it somehow.
I too have searched and found several threads on bladder replacement. I have not found any that was a full instruction of the process and steps to complete. I suspect the best you are going to be able to do is take pieces from a number of threads and maybe the YT vids to give you something to work from. Since this is a growing issue with these aging cars, it would be good if somehow all the related threads were bundled and placed in one sticky thread.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:15 PM

W221 S63 AMG
I too have searched and found several threads on bladder replacement. I have not found any that was a full instruction of the process and steps to complete. I suspect the best you are going to be able to do is take pieces from a number of threads and maybe the YT vids to give you something to work from. Since this is a growing issue with these aging cars, it would be good if somehow all the related threads were bundled and placed in one sticky thread.
Yeah, I’ve found down-to-the-screw instructions for other issues, but not this.

I have good news and bad news about those watching who will inevitably encounter this (if you haven’t already), the bladders are in short supply worldwide. One of the pieces only had 3 available. That’s why I ordered a full set. The next option is aftermarket support (which is probably nonexistent) or repair.

EDIT:

I guess another option would be for MB to produce more, but unless these exact elements are used in other vehicles AND they can sell them, then it stands to reason that they probably won’t.

Last edited by CQHall; 05-03-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I’m interested in this also.

Please post the steps you take to replace these.

Also post pics of the boxes with descriptions of each and the part numbers. In case the pics get deleted later on.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:53 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by tlambert
Also post pics of the boxes with descriptions of each and the part numbers. In case the pics get deleted later on.
No problem. I actually went a step further and made a database of every part for every car since 1999, searchable by VIN or car. With pics! Have a look:

https://mbparts.mbusa.com

Please post the steps you take to replace these.
Sir or madam, I don't think you read my original post.

I have no effing clue how to go about this. I have zero experience doing this job and any advice I'd offer can be summed up as: "Keep pulling on stuff until something comes off...or breaks"...which is pretty much what every host in every YT video on the matter does.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:08 PM

W221 S63 AMG
In all seriousness, I did the legwork and got the part numbers from https://mbparts.mbusa.com and then passed them on to a parts manager that I like working with at my local dealership. I could have ordered directly from the website, but I prefer working with her because she's very thorough, double-checks my work, and checks stock before ordering, which is very important with cars this old.

These are from the website. I bought 2x the list below, one set for each front seat:

"Leg Extension" - Product ID: 000-910-18-75
"Left Outer" - Product ID: 211-910-11-75
"Right Outer" - Product ID: 211-910-12-75
"Left Inner, Right Inner" - Product ID: 211-910-07-75

I don't exactly know which is what on the seat (I could guess...but then I'd be guessing). I bought a complete set and my plan is to pull one old part out and find the new one of the same shape back in.

Also, some of these seem to be spec'd for E320, E500, and E55, I wasn't aware that some E320s and E550s had these.

Last edited by CQHall; 05-03-2022 at 11:10 PM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
nemiro (04-09-2023)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
No problem. I actually went a step further and made a database of every part for every car since 1999, searchable by VIN or car. With pics! Have a look:

https://mbparts.mbusa.com

Sir or madam, I don't think you read my original post.

I have no effing clue how to go about this. I have zero experience doing this job and any advice I'd offer can be summed up as: "Keep pulling on stuff until something comes off...or breaks"...which is pretty much what every host in every YT video on the matter does.
Most of the time when I take things apart I have no clue I just wing it ! Lol

In all seriousness, I did the legwork and got the part numbers from https://mbparts.mbusa.com and then passed them on to a parts manager that I like working with at my local dealership. I could have ordered directly from the website, but I prefer working with her because she's very thorough, double-checks my work, and checks stock before ordering, which is very important with cars this old.

These are from the website. I bought 2x the list below, one set for each front seat:

"Leg Extension" - Product ID: 000-910-18-75
"Left Inner, Right Inner" - Product ID: 211-910-07-75

I don't exactly know which is what on the seat (I could guess...but then I'd be guessing). I bought a complete set and my plan is to pull one old part out and find the new one of the same shape back in.

Also, some of these seem to be spec'd for E320, E500, and E55, I wasn't aware that some E320s and E550s had these.

Any info you post will for sure help out others in the future. I’ve been in collision repair for years and still learn something each time I replace or repair something.
Yeah working with a good parts person is always a plus.

One thing to check before taking the seats out. On the front seats, remove the backrest panel on the back. I believe there are 2 screws at the bottom and the panel slips down. Look inside and there are small hoses. Check to see if any are cracked or broken leaking air. That could be a cause of the bladders not inflating also.

Last edited by tlambert; 05-04-2022 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:03 AM

W221 S63 AMG
Most of the time when I take things apart I have no clue I just wing it ! Lol
lol yeah. I feel ya. I do a lot that way. But, since the seats are very tight and very technical, I figured I'd try to do it the "right" way.

Any info you post will for sure help out others in the future. I’ve been in collision repair for years and still learn something each time I replace or repair something.
Yeah working with a good parts person is always a plus.
I'll see what I can do.

One thing to check before taking the seats out. On the front seats, remove the backrest panel on the back. I believe there are 2 screws at the bottom and the panel slips down. Look inside and there are small hoses. Check to see if any are cracked or broken leaking air. That could be a cause of the bladders not inflating also.
Thanks for the tip. My gut tells me that I'm gonna have to pull the seats out and put them on a bench to get to all of these spots. But, I don't want to if I don't have to.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:02 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Doesn't MB publish some sort of tech docs? I know that VW and Audi do (I've purchased access to them in the past). I thought that those systems were mandated by law now. If so, maybe I can get the official replacement process from there.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 S63
I just purchased new side bolsters and lumbar bladders for both front seats. I had a local auto upholstery replace them. They removed the seats from the car. They charged me $200 per seat. Now I have to figure out why they work for a few minutes then stop. Pulse button just flashes.
CQHall (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jbski201
I just purchased new side bolsters and lumbar bladders for both front seats. I had a local auto upholstery replace them. They removed the seats from the car. They charged me $200 per seat. Now I have to figure out why they work for a few minutes then stop. Pulse button just flashes.
You will need a diagnostic session with MB Star. Could be an issue with the pump, an air leak, or several issues.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 S63
You will need a diagnostic session with MB Star. Could be an issue with the pump, an air leak, or several issues.
Thanks. I just realized there is a bladder in the seat bottom that I didn’t replace. Does anyone know if they are tied in where if the seat bottom bladder is leaking it could mess the whole system up?
Old 05-13-2022, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jbski201
Thanks. I just realized there is a bladder in the seat bottom that I didn’t replace. Does anyone know if they are tied in where if the seat bottom bladder is leaking it could mess the whole system up?
Yes, it is one system with multiple bladders. One bad bladder and the system can/will fault out. With Star you can test the pump and each bladder.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:11 AM

Doesn't MB publish some sort of tech docs? I know that VW and Audi do (I've purchased access to them in the past). I thought that those systems were mandated by law now. If so, maybe I can get the official replacement process from there.
Not a lot of detail in WIS on repairing/replacing the air bladders.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W211 Seat Bladder Repair.pdf (287.7 KB, 165 views)
CQHall (05-13-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 12:09 PM

W221 S63 AMG
I pulled the first bladder…oof!

chassis (05-29-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 01:29 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Whelp. The side bolster part numbers were wrong. They are apparently 2005 and up and I have a 2003. The brackets are different but the bladders are the same. So I just moved the bladders over.

BTW, the videos that say “just slide the bladders in” are wrong. The bladders are secured in place by stretching over tabs in the bracket that holds them. Sure, they might stay in place naturally, but will probably migrate down of you don’t secure them.

Now I’m having trouble figuring out how to remove the airbag from the side of the seat. Need to do that to get access to the screw that holds the brackets in that side of the seats.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:37 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Lumbar bladder also dead as nails.

The black stuff isn't mold. It's paint from the area of the seat that it's resting against.

Last edited by CQHall; 05-23-2022 at 08:54 AM.
chassis (05-29-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 03:30 PM

W221 S63 AMG
OK. There are two rivets at the base of the seat airbag that must be drilled out to remove it. PITA. Now I gotta go buy a rivet gun to replace them.

Also, more on affixing the bladder to the bracket, it needs to be affixed in 4 places, not 2, like so:

2 with the bladder itself and 2 with the fabric outside of the bladder.

chassis (05-29-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 03:33 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Update on the part numbers:

These work for 2005+:

I think this is what you need for 2003-2004:
"Left Outer" - Product ID: 211-910-01-75
"Right Outer" - Product ID: 211-910-02-75

Those numbers check out on the website:
https://mbparts.mbusa.com/oem-parts/...ter-2119100175
https://mbparts.mbusa.com/oem-parts/...ter-2119100275

Either a bone-headed mistake on my part or the site guided me wrong. Probably my fault. But, it's fine as my brackets are intact and I just needed to swap the bladders over.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:40 PM

W221 S63 AMG
The lumbar bladder (actually two in one) is right behind the control box. Just slide it up and off of the bracket.

There is a small cube that you remove to get the clamp rail unlocked. Pry it up with a screwdriver then pull all of the tubes off together with the rail.

Each tube is snapped into a plastic c-clip type thing. They are brittle af. Be careful when trying to unsnap the tubes.

The lumbar bladder is the white rectangle between the seat and the metal grate. Fish it out on the side where the tubes feed it. You'll have to release the spring hook and cut the zip tie that tidys up the cables.

(pic of the side bladder coming out without its bracket. Just posting to show where the control unit box and tubes are before removing them from the bracket):

Last edited by CQHall; 05-22-2022 at 03:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CQHall:
chassis (05-29-2022), mbmg (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 08:33 AM

W221 S63 AMG
I ended on a high note yesterday before moving on to family stuff.

I was able to replace both side bolster bladders and the lumbar bladder in one seat. Most of the time was spent figuring things out. Now that I know, the passenger seat should take maybe 30 minutes, taking my time and moving slowly and deliberately. I also confirmed that my cooled seats work (the fans were a-spinnin').

I also bought a rivet gun to replace the rivets used to secure the air bag. I'll bolt that back in at the very end after system testing the bladders.

Next is figuring out how to remove the bottom cushion and access the bladder in there. The storage box up front is what's different than most other tutorials I've seen. Also, trying to figure out if I can do it without unbolting the seat rails from the floor of the car. That might be the easiest way so that I can get clear access to all of the harnesses underneath.
chassis (05-29-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 08:45 AM

W221 S63 AMG
The rear is connected but not fully buttoned up. You can see the brown ground wire for the side airbag hanging on the left. That will be riveted into place. Also, there is 1 zip tie that goes up top to cinch some a tube and wires to the metal grate. I also have to reattach 4 springs that attach the grate to the metal frame of the seat.

Metal shavings on the carpet to the left from drilling out two rivets.

Last edited by CQHall; 05-23-2022 at 08:48 AM.
chassis (05-29-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help: Replacing all air bladders in my seats