Sponsored by:

What do I need to work on this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 10:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mazda miata
What do I need to work on this car?

Hello! I am about to buy a 2006 E55 amg with 144,000 miles and have been reading up on this forum to see what I am getting into. I am very mechanically inclined, but I have never owned or worked on a Mercedes before.

I have been reading as much as i can and am a little confused on what I need to work on this car. Do I need a specialty Mercedes scan tool like the icarsoft mbII? Or will a standard obdII tool work fine? What is STAR/xentry? Do I need that to be able to diagnose and do my own repairs on this vehicle? What is WIS? Is it just basically a repair manual for these cars? I keep seeing all these acronyms thrown around and it's throwing me for a loop lol

Thanks for your help and I can't wait to get my E55!
Old 12-05-2022, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Tiers of scanning:

Bottom: OBD2
Middle: iCarSoft
Top/Dealer Level: STAR/xentry

You can get by with OBD2 to keep it running perfectly. For everything else on the car, you'll need the iCarSoft to read codes and reset them. STAR/xentry can do all of that, plus more, including edit specific settings or activate certain diag/test modes but the need for this is quite rare unless you bought a lemon.

WIS is just the repair manual. I believe access is free? Someone correct me here.

Learn to love your 8, 10, and 13mm wrenches. Buy some E-torx bits.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:46 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
I have an mb carsoft II and it works well for most issues or to check the specific modules on the car (CLS55). Use a good torque wrench and if you can swing it get an electronic with angle mode. Use the best oil you can get that meets mb specs. Keep in mind that the brakes are electronic controlled hydraulic so you have to unplug or disable SBC when doing a simple pad change. Learn the systems on these cars (dual battery) multiple SAM modules, SBC for brakes, and Airmatic for suspension are the most important. No question is ever dumb. WIS is the electronic workshop manual and comes in mighty handy especially when you need torque specs. Get maintenance items addressed and intercooler cooling system upgraded and in good working order before you go wild with mods. Hope this all helps and best of luck on your E55!
Old 12-06-2022, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 465 Likes on 403 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I have the iCarsoft MB3 and its perfect for day to day stuff. It also disables the SBC controller if you need to and some other stuff. You will need inverted torx tools for a lot of bolts. Oil leaks will be common, but the fixes are also common (rocker covers + breather covers, oil filler neck). Also dont forget the m113k engine has twin spark plugs per cilinder, so you need 16 for every change

Check my build thread (in my signature). Even though its a CLS55, its basically the same platform as the E55

Old 12-06-2022, 08:26 AM

Received 239 Likes on 200 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
MB Star is a bi-directional tool that allows for full interrogation and operating of the functions of the car. There are lots of controllers and functions on these cars. Star also is linked to the workshop manual so it will provide you with specific testing procedures. It will even provide you a picture of the item you are investigating so you know where it is and what it looks like. Welcome to the Forum.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mazda miata
Thank you guys for the replies. I can't wait to pick up the car.
The following users liked this post:
nd-photo.nl (12-06-2022)