Sponsored by:

Questions- oil cooler fan & IC water pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes C320 300CE 560SEC
Questions- oil cooler fan & IC water pump

These two things pop up as nowhere to be found on a C320 wagon. How are these powered they go to the front SAM and what are the set points or when are they turned on/off

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-06-2022, 08:47 AM

Received 239 Likes on 200 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by olde tinker
These two things pop up as nowhere to be found on a C320 wagon. How are these powered they go to the front SAM and what are the set points or when are they turned on/off

Thanks,

Steve
Assuming the C320 is a 203.764 platform, there is no oil cooler or IC so no pumps. With the W211 platform, the IC pump is wired into the rear SAM. Not sure about the fan for the oil cooler. Most people that upgrade the IC pump on the W211 platform wire the new pump to the front SAM and power it whenever the key is on. If you have an unused fuse location in the front SAM you could pull power from there (assuming it is a switched connection) by wiring through the connection on the SAM that fuse is linked to.
Edit: Oil cooler fan is fused on #60 and relay R in the front SAM on the 211/219 platforms

Last edited by machild; 12-06-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:57 PM

Thanks,

When I dove into the water pump thread I found it kind of interesting that the water pump just runs with key on! The other thing to consider is do either of these cause a CEL My oil cooler has a line that is stuck and the bung is not in great shape. An aftermarket or different form factor oil cooler may be a better fit? I am asking these questions here because this forum has the experience with this drivetrain. I have two cars with M-120 V12's naturaly aspirated their oil coolers are passive. A friend with an M-120 in an R107 has no oil cooler and temps are not an issue. I do intend to use an engine oil cooler with a fan. Are there issues with oil temp in the E55 in hot weather? I have a house in Woodland Hills, Ca. that area see's 110+ days often in the summer.

In my W203 wagon the cooling accessories may not be in the same arangement or location as a W211. For example the engine oil cooler may live in the left wheel well. I am going to split the cooling system for the engine/ inner cooler with perhaps additional heat exchangers. Another cooling item I am considering is a stand alone transmission cooler. I don't know how big an issue the internal trans cooler is in the E55 today? This transmission shows no signs of coolant contamination.

Steve
Old 12-06-2022, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
Why do you need an inter cooler for a normally aspirated engine, and split cooling for again a normally aspirated engine? Intercoolers are for forced induction, and air to oil as well as air to transmission coolers are more than adequate for any c320.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Why do you need an inter cooler for a normally aspirated engine, and split cooling for again a normally aspirated engine? Intercoolers are for forced induction, and air to oil as well as air to transmission coolers are more than adequate for any c320.
He is installing the M113K in the C Class body. See here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...5-chassis.html
Old 12-06-2022, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
Ah I see I was very confused. That is an interesting project. Please keep us updated as to progress. I have a m113k that I would like to put in a c32
Old 12-06-2022, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by olde tinker
Thanks,

When I dove into the water pump thread I found it kind of interesting that the water pump just runs with key on! The other thing to consider is do either of these cause a CEL My oil cooler has a line that is stuck and the bung is not in great shape. An aftermarket or different form factor oil cooler may be a better fit? I am asking these questions here because this forum has the experience with this drivetrain. I have two cars with M-120 V12's naturaly aspirated their oil coolers are passive. A friend with an M-120 in an R107 has no oil cooler and temps are not an issue. I do intend to use an engine oil cooler with a fan. Are there issues with oil temp in the E55 in hot weather? I have a house in Woodland Hills, Ca. that area see's 110+ days often in the summer.

In my W203 wagon the cooling accessories may not be in the same arangement or location as a W211. For example the engine oil cooler may live in the left wheel well. I am going to split the cooling system for the engine/ inner cooler with perhaps additional heat exchangers. Another cooling item I am considering is a stand alone transmission cooler. I don't know how big an issue the internal trans cooler is in the E55 today? This transmission shows no signs of coolant contamination.

Steve
When the IC is upgraded the original wiring is abandoned becasue the amperage of most all new pumps are higher than the original. No problem with CEL because there is no monitor of the original pump. I think the oil cooler fan is also just a two conductor connection - power and ground only. The orginal IC pump is not activated until about 40*C (about 104*F) of air temp. The pump activated when the ignition is on is to try and stay ahead of the heat rise. I do not know when the oil cooler fan is activated. There is a temp sensor on the cooler so it is likely to activate the fan. You may be interesed in a recent post where I installed two larger IC, Pierburg pump, and separated the cooling systems: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...des-cls55.html
Old 12-07-2022, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the info and your install looks very clean.

After reading a lot of stuff on the pump and heat exchanger front and, faced with limited real estate in the C class I am leaning towards a killer chiller system. The C has the battery in the right firewall under the fresh air filter and as a wagon the floor in back is not configured to do a rear battery. There is precious little space for a tank anywhere so I am going to explore the fender voids. The washer bottle in in the left headlight area now, looking to relocate that for a bit of flex space. As I recall the supercharged M113 is a mere inch or so from the fan when installed in a W203 that is not using a long nose ala CLK or C55 so everything is going to be a snug fit!

Steve