Sponsored by:

Car shut down completely, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 02:39 AM

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
2015 S550, 2014 640i
Car shut down completely, help!

Hey guys, was working on the car without the engine on and the doors open for a while (30-45 mins) and the car started beeping at me for a few mins and completely shut down before I could react. Said COMAND will shut down in 3 minutes a few times and then it completely shut down and won't react to anything. The taillights stayed on when it shut down which was odd. The battery is brand new but maybe it got drained down? Wondering if anyone experienced this before? I disconnected the negative to get the taillights to turn off. When hooked negative back on they stayed off. Now not sure what to do to bring it back to life? Will try to charge it tomorrow.

Last edited by Rmayrap; 02-23-2023 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 401 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
What is the battery voltage without anything attached to it?
Old 02-23-2023, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
If the engine was running then it’s the alternator. If you just had the car radio and such on then it’s the battery and needed a jump to get going then drive to charge battery or get a battery charger.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
as others alluded to, seems like a voltage issue. battery terminal may not have a good connection to the post.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:20 PM

Received 239 Likes on 200 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Rmayrap
Hey guys, was working on the car without the engine on and the doors open for a while (30-45 mins) and the car started beeping at me for a few mins and completely shut down before I could react. Said COMAND will shut down in 3 minutes a few times and then it completely shut down and won't react to anything. The taillights stayed on when it shut down which was odd. The battery is brand new but maybe it got drained down? Wondering if anyone experienced this before? I disconnected the negative to get the taillights to turn off. When hooked negative back on they stayed off. Now not sure what to do to bring it back to life? Will try to charge it tomorrow.
From what you provided here, the car was 'awake' meaning that every control module is powered up and communicating through the various networks. With the number of modules these cars have, that is a lot of power drawn against the battery that is not being charged at the same time. When repair shops are working on similar cars they have a power supply connected to the car capable of providing 100amps or more. That's enough power to run most homes. I'm not surprised the battery was pulled down so far it could not keep much funtioning. One of those many control modules is one that monitors the power supply and shuts down non-urgent power users such as the COMAND to save the power when it sees a crisis coming. That module probably thought the car was being driven and was trying to let you find a place to safely park the car and shut it down.