M113K 'charger - replacement or rebuild required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
M113K 'charger - replacement or rebuild required

Hey guys, the supercharger on my E55K seems to be on it's way out. It's doing the dreaded continual squeak - we suspect it's the rear bearings that apparently are unserviceable according to what the interweb has told me in the past, but perhaps things might have changed in recent years that I'm not aware of. Is it possible to get these units rebuilt with a fresh lease of life, or is my best bet to source a used one from eBay or a breaker? FYI it's not the front pulley bearing and that's been recently replaced anyway.

Are Shardul/Brooke from UPD still about these days? I wonder if they might know or be able to assist.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 206 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Hey guys, the supercharger on my E55K seems to be on it's way out. It's doing the dreaded continual squeak - we suspect it's the rear bearings that apparently are unserviceable according to what the interweb has told me in the past, but perhaps things might have changed in recent years that I'm not aware of. Is it possible to get these units rebuilt with a fresh lease of life, or is my best bet to source a used one from eBay or a breaker? FYI it's not the front pulley bearing and that's been recently replaced anyway.

Are Shardul/Brooke from UPD still about these days? I wonder if they might know or be able to assist.
@nemiro recently posted about working/rebuilding his SC. Find his posts and see what he says about that bearing. May reach out to him too.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:21 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 Crossfire (w/M113K), 2006 E55 AMG
I used a pair of bearings from Benz Performance (BP). While their front bearings and seal seem to be OK, the rear bearing setup left a lot to be desired. It is not an original style, and one of the bearings failed outright in almost exactly 400 miles of driving. I then sourced a Chinese knock off of the original NTN bearings, and procured 4 of them. Simultaneously, I found someone who had two original NTN bearings available. I bought those, also, and installed them just this past week. I took comparison photos of the original NTN bearing and the Chinese bearing. The Chinese one is actually pretty much spot on copy of the originals, and the quality seems to be there. They do come dry (no grease) and I have not figured out what grease to use in them, yet. I have a second SC here that I will rebuild with one pair. They are fairly inexpensive, compared to trying to get NTN to reproduce them, and certainly much higher quality than the ones I received from BP. Not trying to knock BP, but I literally threw out a second set of their bearings I had purchased. Their front section bearings that they are offering appear to be original NTN (or good knock offs). They seem to work just fine.

I have one pair of these Chinese rear bearings I could part with. I'll sell that at what they cost to have brought here, without the lengthy wait. The other pair are going to go into my spare SC, as soon as I decide on the grease. @machild may have a good idea on which grease to use.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 206 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by nemiro
I used a pair of bearings from Benz Performance (BP). While their front bearings and seal seem to be OK, the rear bearing setup left a lot to be desired. It is not an original style, and one of the bearings failed outright in almost exactly 400 miles of driving. I then sourced a Chinese knock off of the original NTN bearings, and procured 4 of them. Simultaneously, I found someone who had two original NTN bearings available. I bought those, also, and installed them just this past week. I took comparison photos of the original NTN bearing and the Chinese bearing. The Chinese one is actually pretty much spot on copy of the originals, and the quality seems to be there. They do come dry (no grease) and I have not figured out what grease to use in them, yet. I have a second SC here that I will rebuild with one pair. They are fairly inexpensive, compared to trying to get NTN to reproduce them, and certainly much higher quality than the ones I received from BP. Not trying to knock BP, but I literally threw out a second set of their bearings I had purchased. Their front section bearings that they are offering appear to be original NTN (or good knock offs). They seem to work just fine.

I have one pair of these Chinese rear bearings I could part with. I'll sell that at what they cost to have brought here, without the lengthy wait. The other pair are going to go into my spare SC, as soon as I decide on the grease. @machild may have a good idea on which grease to use.
I have no idea.
The following users liked this post:
nemiro (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 11:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 sl55

In addition to the Mobil jet oil II ?
Old 03-13-2023, 12:14 PM

This would be grease for the rear bearings. The oil is for the front section.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 410 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
The oil is for the cogs/gears in the front indeed.

Hes talking about this type of grease

Old 03-13-2023, 06:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 sl55
Thank you! I didn't realize the rear bearings were self contained and weren't lubricated by the small amount of oil dedicated to the supercharger.

Subscribed and slightly worried!
Old 03-21-2023, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 82 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
This would be grease for the rear bearings. The oil is for the front section.

I put that red redline cv grease in my rear supercharger bearings. Seems fine and quitened them down a bit.

People need to realize in many cases there will be no need to actually replace the bearings if you just clean the old dry (almost gone) grease out of them thoroughly and put new stuff in there weather its redline or proper supercharger bearing grease if you can find it imo it doesnt matter. anything will be better than whats in there (obviously you want a high temp grease that resists flinging out) especially if you car has done over 120k miles without them being touched.

Everyone seems to go on about the supercharger oil but imo the rear bearings should be serviced more often than that oil.

Last edited by austingtir; 03-21-2023 at 12:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by austingtir:
nd-photo.nl (03-21-2023), nemiro (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 01:33 AM

I'll get some of that. Thanks!