Sponsored by:

New Bluetooth Mobile Phone Capability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2010 ML350
New Bluetooth Mobile Phone Capability

My dealer told me not to get any cell phone options with my new E55, because in early 2005, MB would be offering a way to link bluetooth phones into the Command system. Does anyone have any other details about this?

In addition, will the bluetooth capability be able to link directly into the European head unit? I'd love to get one that plays DVDs from Steve and Scorchie, but I don't want to sacrifice being able to

a) use the new bluetooth functionality
b) attach satellite radio and be able to control it through the command.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Gareth
Old 10-22-2004, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
My dealer told me not to get any cell phone options with my new E55, because in early 2005, MB would be offering a way to link bluetooth phones into the Command system. Does anyone have any other details about this?

In addition, will the bluetooth capability be able to link directly into the European head unit? I'd love to get one that plays DVDs from Steve and Scorchie, but I don't want to sacrifice being able to

a) use the new bluetooth functionality
b) attach satellite radio and be able to control it through the command.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Gareth
I don't know about any upcoming Bluetooth functionality, but it might be possible. However, I would be wary: MBUSA has a very poor track record of allowing newer technology phones to be used with older cars (i.e., they've NEVER supported it).

I can tell you that we have a Bluetooth solution in the works (I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag too early and I am afraid that this might be too early). I can also tell you that this solution, being adapted from technology you can find in the Maybach, will NOT work with all Bluetooth capable phones, and will also be pretty darn expensive.

It's possible that in two weeks we will have something to show.

p.s. I believe it will work with US and European COMAND. OEM SIRIUS will not work properly at this time with units that play DVDs.

-s-
Old 10-22-2004, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
My dealer told me
Only about 3% of the information that dealers give you on future developments is truth.

-s-
Old 10-22-2004, 09:13 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Thanks scorchie! Yea, I hear you man. The lady I'm dealing with has a good track record though with my family. If I hear anything more I'll post it. Bluetooth is nice because since its a standard solution which will allow us all to upgrade our phones w/o worrying about the car. Theoretically of course.

I guess I'll wait on swapping out the head unit for a Euro one until a) i get the car!!, b) i hear back from you guys about the bluetooth solution and crossing my fingers that you guys get Sirius OEM working as well. i somehow know you guys can do it.

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 10-22-2004, 09:14 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
btw, happy birthday scorchie!! enjoy the slopes this wknd. i hope more than just "boring hill" is open.