Sponsored by:

Updated head unit for 03

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 02:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
W211 e55 amg
Updated head unit for 03

I have a mid year 2003 211 e55 amg with the old small screen head unit and cassette tape player and was wondering if it is possible to upgrade it to the stock 04-06 head unit with the larger screen and aux? I have seen some one do it on youtube but after asking around I've heard different responses on if it would work or not.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
ez-go
I can't imagine going through the effort and not just slapping a w211 retrofit android head unit in and having full fat 2023 technology for a good cellphone handshake.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:22 PM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Style_Front
I can't imagine going through the effort and not just slapping a w211 retrofit android head unit in and having full fat 2023 technology for a good cellphone handshake.
While I love the Android head unit in my E55, none of them are "plug and play". It takes a bit of effort to get them working correctly and they can be quirky. If you are handy and a DIY type it can be done without a huge amount of drama.

Also, all of the Aliexpress sellers lie about the specs. I ordered one that was supposed to be Android 12. It showed up displaying Android 11 and ended up really being Android 10. Only received a partial refund on that debacle. If you go that route, I am happy to help if you have any questions.

Updating to the later OEM head unit is not going to gain you much except for looking better.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
e55 AMG
I ordered head unit from Ali as well to use my ELM327 since it doesn’t work on iPhones, when I received the unit I didn’t even consider to put that in my car….
Cheap buttons, cheesie menu, cheap wires.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:37 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by BMW Owner
I ordered head unit from Ali as well to use my ELM327 since it doesn’t work on iPhones, when I received the unit I didn’t even consider to put that in my car….
Cheap buttons, cheesie menu, cheap wires.
The quality of the one I have is actually pretty good. It looks like an OEM radio. Torque software with ELM327 works great as does the Bluetooth and Android Auto/Car Play.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
e55
Ive done it successfuly, my 03 E55 was originally equipped with an single screen din, swapped it with an 04+ OEM double screen unit

Added a mercedes aux cable and into a cheap bluetooth receiver

No modification, everything works, ZERO ISSUES
Old 04-19-2023, 09:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
W211 e55 amg
Originally Posted by MJBelcher500
While I love the Android head unit in my E55, none of them are "plug and play". It takes a bit of effort to get them working correctly and they can be quirky. If you are handy and a DIY type it can be done without a huge amount of drama.

Also, all of the Aliexpress sellers lie about the specs. I ordered one that was supposed to be Android 12. It showed up displaying Android 11 and ended up really being Android 10. Only received a partial refund on that debacle. If you go that route, I am happy to help if you have any questions.

Updating to the later OEM head unit is not going to gain you much except for looking better.

My main reason to upgrade to the later version is to get the ability to get aux as the current head unit doesn’t have one and i can source one quite cheap. I wouldn’t mind upgrading to something else but its just like you said, none of them are really plug and play. I have no issue doing the install but in the meantime i would like to be able to listen to music with out having to use a fm transmitter and constantly having interference. But if i was to take the upgraded route, what would you recommend?
Old 04-20-2023, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 401 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I met up with a local guy driving a CLS55 and he had an Android radio in it. But in some way, it feels "off". I had it on my shortlist, but I will scrap that and just keep it original. I only need an AUX input (which I have) as I use an oldskool iPod 80GB. All intelligent features I will use on my phone (navigation etc)
Old 04-23-2023, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E63 AMG
The quality of the one I have is actually pretty good. It looks like an OEM radio. Torque software with ELM327 works great as does the Bluetooth and Android Auto/Car Play.
what is that? how'd you get it looking like that? any writeup / tutorials online? i've never worked on radio stuff and the fiber cables make me even more iffy
Old 04-23-2023, 04:58 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by moe63
what is that? how'd you get it looking like that? any writeup / tutorials online? i've never worked on radio stuff and the fiber cables make me even more iffy
Getting the main screen to look like that is fairly simple. It is just a free "skin" that you can download.

The fiber optic convertor is pretty simple to install. While you do need to be careful, it is not as fragile as some would leave you to believe. The caveat is that using the convertor only allows right and left channels. It does not allow for fade front to rear. I find it more than acceptable, but some hard core audiophiles will certainly disagree. I was not willing to rewire my car for an aftermarket amplifier. This was a much easier road for me.

Here are a few other screen shots showing other functions:

It also has Bluetooth calling and support for CarPlay and Android Auto. I don't have any type of tutorial put together and if you aren't handy doing wiring I am not sure I would suggest you do it yourself. It is not difficult, but takes some amount of familiarity with wiring to keep from having issues.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E63 AMG
Getting the main screen to look like that is fairly simple. It is just a free "skin" that you can download.

The fiber optic convertor is pretty simple to install. While you do need to be careful, it is not as fragile as some would leave you to believe. The caveat is that using the convertor only allows right and left channels. It does not allow for fade front to rear. I find it more than acceptable, but some hard core audiophiles will certainly disagree. I was not willing to rewire my car for an aftermarket amplifier. This was a much easier road for me.

Here are a few other screen shots showing other functions:

It also has Bluetooth calling and support for CarPlay and Android Auto. I don't have any type of tutorial put together and if you aren't handy doing wiring I am not sure I would suggest you do it yourself. It is not difficult, but takes some amount of familiarity with wiring to keep from having issues.
cool that all sounds doable. what head unit is that? got a link? also did you replace any speakers?

im an electrical engineer so i’m comfortable with wires but this is my only car. hesitancy comes before any non mechanical work haha
Old 04-23-2023, 08:57 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by moe63
cool that all sounds doable. what head unit is that? got a link? also did you replace any speakers?

im an electrical engineer so i’m comfortable with wires but this is my only car. hesitancy comes before any non mechanical work haha
This is the one I purchased: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
It is not actually Android 12, by the way. It is only really Android 10. I bought the 7862 8G + 128G version.

I did not change any of the speakers or do anything to the amp. That is the plus side of using the Fiber Optic convertor. You don't need to string wire through the car.

There are three main things that you need to connect. The main HU. There is a +12v constant, a +12v switched and a ground.
There is the Fiber Optic box that has the same connections as well as RCA connectors that go to the main HU. The fiber optic connector from the OE HU plugs into the convertor. It is not difficult.
The last "box" is the CAN module. It has two leads that connect into the car's CAN High/Low leads and it needs power and ground.
It is not difficult, but it is a lot of stuff to cram behind the HU. It takes a little effort to find a good spot for everything.

If you are thinking of going this route I would be willing to schedule a call to go over my experience and suggestions. Just PM me.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55
This is the one I purchased: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US
It is not actually Android 12, by the way. It is only really Android 10. I bought the 7862 8G + 128G version.

I did not change any of the speakers or do anything to the amp. That is the plus side of using the Fiber Optic convertor. You don't need to string wire through the car.

There are three main things that you need to connect. The main HU. There is a +12v constant, a +12v switched and a ground.
There is the Fiber Optic box that has the same connections as well as RCA connectors that go to the main HU. The fiber optic connector from the OE HU plugs into the convertor. It is not difficult.
The last "box" is the CAN module. It has two leads that connect into the car's CAN High/Low leads and it needs power and ground.
It is not difficult, but it is a lot of stuff to cram behind the HU. It takes a little effort to find a good spot for everything.

If you are thinking of going this route I would be willing to schedule a call to go over my experience and suggestions. Just PM me.
How does it sound? How is the sound affected?
Old 04-23-2023, 11:48 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Rallyboy383
How does it sound? How is the sound affected?
As I mentioned, it sounds fine to me. I am sure that someone that is really in to good stereo equipment would not be happy with it. It would be nice to have the ability to adjust the fade, but not nice enough to have to rewire the car to make it happen. I drive long distances and mainly wanted the CarPlay/Android Auto, Bluetooth, as well as things like the Torque app to monitor the engine. To each their own.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R350
I got this one, is this similar to the one you got? I got the 8G one. https://a.aliexpress.com/_msNT01K
How was the install, is it doable? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:10 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by adi3
I got this one, is this similar to the one you got? I got the 8G one. https://a.aliexpress.com/_msNT01K
How was the install, is it doable? Thanks.
That link goes to a unit that is not for a W211 chassis.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R350
That link goes to a unit that is not for a W211 chassis.
Sorry, my fault, I have a W251, I replied to your post by mistake. Thanks.