Engine Oil Leak Question | New Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 63 AMG (2007)
Engine Oil Leak Question | New Owner

Hey Guys, I've just picked up my first AMG - A CLS 63 from 2007

Among all the questions I have as a new owner, This issue is on the top of my list among a few minors which are remaining. It's my weekend car by the way, hence during the week she sits idle at home.
She has been sitting idle with the previous owner for a span of 7 months, and once I acquired the car - I've done the fluid changes and general service which was required. The car's current odometer is at 152,000 KM's. That's roughly 94,500 in miles. From the major repairs I've carried out so far, I've replaced the Tyres, a few LED's inside and outside which were burnt, A/C compressor which was blowing hot air all the time, expansion valve, condenser along with the compressor, fuel sender unit and the fuel pump seals which were leaking fuel underneath the passenger seat after a full tank fill up.

The major concern which remains yet -
There's an oil leak underneath the car, which is requiring a gradual fill up of a quart over some time.
Has anyone faced this issue and what's the exact workaround or repair on this? I have explained as clearly as possible over the pictures below.

This is the amount of oil on the plastic guards beneath the leaking spot. This the amount I lose in about a week's span

This is the exact location of the leak, to be particular, it's inside the circular entry point, which somehow seeps outside.

A little more closer;

Suspected locations where I can see the drips, or maybe coming from the circular entry point itself

If this is a noteworthy point; This is the oil I've used since I have some faith in their products over my previous cars;
The previous owner wasn't exactly fluent with the types hence when I asked what he had used over the time on oil changes, he mentioned just "what's recommended".

Any advice and suggestions are much appreciated guys!

Old 09-26-2023, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
It seems to me that you have a rear main seal leak, I just replaced mine last week after 106,500 miles. The price was $1300
Old 09-26-2023, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 456 Likes on 397 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Yes, I also have that leak in combination with an oil pan leak. I use the same oil btw

Old 09-26-2023, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it's a Rear Main Seal, this isn't cheap as the entire exhaust, drive shaft and transmission must come out, along with the flywheel to gain access to the back of the engine to replace the rear main seal.
if it was a Upper or Lower Oil pan leak, you would be able to see the oil running down the upper/lower oil pan, and collecting on the bottom of the engine. This isn't a cheap fix either, as the front sub frame along with front suspension needs to be dropped to gain access to the entire bedplate, upper and lower oil pans.
Considering you have that much oil leaking out, this needs to be addressed sooner than later. This isn't some simple leak oil is literally pouring out of your engine. But the good news it's repairable, bad news for the wallet.

I was at Benz Elite Automotive getting an oil change yesterday, I spent about twenty minutes under the car with a bright light looking at everything; engine, suspension, transmission, brakes, tires you name it, I looked at it.
Notice I needed new front tires, granted their 4 yrs old, but the inside is showing excessive wear so I ordered two new front tires from Tire Rack.

These cars are anywhere from 15-18 yrs old, and things wear out or fail period. You must be on top and get those repairs as needed. Or if you're like me, if I even get the hint of something isn't right, its attended to immediately.

Last edited by Yuille36; 09-26-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 63 AMG (2007)
Originally Posted by Yuille36
I think it's a Rear Main Seal, this isn't cheap as the entire exhaust, drive shaft and transmission must come out, along with the flywheel to gain access to the back of the engine to replace the rear main seal.
if it was a Upper or Lower Oil pan leak, you would be able to see the oil running down the upper/lower oil pan, and collecting on the bottom of the engine. This isn't a cheap fix either, as the front sub frame along with front suspension needs to be dropped to gain access to the entire bedplate, upper and lower oil pans.
Considering you have that much oil leaking out, this needs to be addressed sooner than later. This isn't some simple leak oil is literally pouring out of your engine. But the good news it's repairable, bad news for the wallet.
Didn't realize that I didn't exactly clarify the location.
Let me catch a better pic next time, This is the closest what I have as of now.

The spot is right behind the Oil Pan where the Engine Oil drain plug is located.
My Oil Pan seals were weak as well, which I cleaned and re-seated at first assuming that the oil is coming from the pan seal. However after the seals were done, it was still leaking minor amounts which I later traced to that hole which is in the first post.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looking at the photos more closely, someone used a lot of RTV sealant on that oil pan. What you need to do is spray down the bottom of the engine with brake cleaner, then wipe down and use compressed air.
After everything is clean, start the car and let it run for about 5-10 minutes, then you should be able to trace where in fact the leak is coming from. Hopefully, this is a simple less costly repair.
But I do believe that its a rear main seal. If the engine is overfilled with oil, this leak can occur.