Color Choices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 2003
Color Choices

Could it be that one of the main reasons that you dont see many of the designo packages here in the states is that the choice IS SO LIMITED. I for one do not want a dark color (mocha or Graphite as offered on the current E class).
However, I would order a designo if they were offered with lighter color's. Go see all the colors that Euros get to choose from.

http://www.mercedes-benz.it/vetture...e_e/default.htm

Click on the photo of the car, then the Designo button and then click 'configura la tua designo'. All the colors of the Designo Palet
That being said, does anyone know about importing a European spec Vehicle? Is there much to change to make it a US Spec and how does one go about it?

At least one could get exactly the choices that europeans get.
Any help would be appreciated
Old 11-14-2004, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing a European vehicle can mean a whole bunch of things. Currently, the project I am working on is bringing a European car company to the US. I will represent the company here in the States and recieve the cars directly from them. Heres the problem: Many European cars are not legal by default in the US. There are MANY things that need to be altered to meet US specifications and it is possible that one might have to invest up to $500,000 just making the car street legal in the US. Now, I am not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure that if its a company such as MB or BMW, the cars can be imported without a problem. As a matter of fact, I spoke to a rep at AMG in Affalterbach a few days ago and he mentioned that he was pretty sure that MBUSA has a "Buyer Pick-Up Program" or something like that where the buyer can actually fly to Germany, drive the car around, and then fly home with it. However, the car that the buyer "picks up" is the car that has been built to AMERICAN specifications so that it is street legal in the US. This might mean that you would not be able to get a Euro paint job. I say give either MBUSA or AMG a call and see what they have to say. Also, I've heard (although I don't exactly know the method of it) that people go to the MB plant in Germany and drive their car around to put a significant number of miles on it. Afterwards, they purchase it as a USED vehicle and save big $$. Again, I have no idea how this works let alone is possible, but I'm sure if you look into it you'll find something.

P.S.-I wrote this under the impression that you were in search of an E55 AMG. If not, I'm sure MB still offers this program for normal production vehicles. Hope this helps!

Last edited by zdkdeeier493; 11-14-2004 at 10:59 PM.